Potential problems with Divemaster class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been a few years, but my memory is that after every task in the internship, like completing assisting with an OW or AOW class, the instructor filled out and signed off on an evaluation form that went into my file. I think as the DMTS we were responsible for presenting these forms. Anyhow, this way we all knew exactly what we had to do left to complete the course. If your file is empty after doing as much as you've done, that's a really bad sign.

Don't forget, though, that everyone reading this thread has your point of view only, and it is amazing how different perceptions of the same situation can be. So don't get too riled up by the 'you're getting ripped off' responses. They're VERY common on SB. Sometimes they are accurate, though....

Your posts indicate a certain loyalty and interest in friendship with the instructor and shop. While this is admirable, I think it's in your best interest to start thinking of this in more of a strictly business like manner; try to take emotions out of it. You're more likely to get what you need that way with a minimum of conflict.

I'd also suggest having a look at a few places in Roatan and Utila; the best places get a lot of DMTs coming through and usually have clear policies and lots of graduates, and they're usually very reasonably priced. You might get a different perspective, anyhow.

When you say they're pushing you to buy gear, I assume you mean 'from them.' If there's even an implication that part of success in their DM program is purchasing equipment from them, that's really unacceptable. This is why I like the idea of training someplace that doesn't sell gear, or at least has training as their primary product, not gear sales. If they're just saying 'you need X to be a pro diver' and it's clear that you could buy it up the street w/out any hard feelings, fine.

Best of luck!

Roatan or Utila, haha im not looking on going out of the country anytime soon for scuba training, florida however is a possibility. Somewhere tropical where I dont need a passport.

...//... In the world of scuba culture and politics, I'd consider myself in the middle class. ...//...

Sounds about right for me too.

I'm training so that I can go back to falling off of dive boats in the NE Atlantic while better avoiding some of the 'interesting' situations that I've had in the past. I dive 'tech' gear only because it suits the local conditions better than my recreational gear. OK, maybe lower middle class for me.:wink:

Intimidating or not, you need to stand your ground.
You'd be amazed at how seemingly intimidating people shrink and begin to buckle when they get challenged and taken off guard, especially when they know they are in the wrong.
What's he going to do, yell at you?
And as far as your reputation, what reputation? They haven't even given you the chance to build one yet.
And besides, who's going to listen to them?
All you have to do is tell your side of the story to anyone who inquires.
They're the ones who should be worried about their reputation!
I had a supervisor at our other plant who would only look you in the eye when he thought you screwed up and he could brow beat you with it. They used to pull some shady crap with mandatory overtime and vacations until they got turned in to the labor dept and had to pay some nasty fines. But before that they pulled something with my times and I went to HR to find out what was going on. Well she called the supervisor and he came charging up to me all puffed up and started bitching about me going to HR. Which every other place I worked if there was a problem like this that was where you went. He said I should have come to him and not gone and yelled at the HR lady, who I later found out was also his cousin, and he was about to say something else when I interrupted his little tirade and told him that I thought going to HR was the right way and that I did not yell at her. I told him I don't yell at people over stuff like that. I have an attorney that does my yelling for stuff like this.

He dropped his head, his chest deflated, stared at the floor, and slunk away and never said another word.

it took nearly two months for my DM, DM months for DM i thought was normal, but June to Sept ? something aint right. +1 with claymore's opinion. you apply some 'counter pressure' and see if it works

PS
like vincent gambini does in my cousin vinnie :cool2:

The DM courses I have been involved with all allowed interns (who paid for the course) to dive for no additional charge. They also provided free rental gear, although I do agree at that point you'd want your own gear (doesn't mean you have to buy it from the dive center, but many provide a decent package at a discount off retail for their interns).
They all charged additional if you wanted nitrox. You can ask for a schedule or list of standards left for you to complete and the expected timeframe. We used whiteboards to list interns and they checked off when they completed skills so they could see their progress. This is a good motivational teaching strategy.
Not sure where or with who (dive center or agency) you are doing the DM (PADI?) but from my limited experience something seems off. $180 for a dive trip seems way out of line IMO.
Like others suggested, talk with your instructor privately and have an honest conversation about what is going on here. I think it really sucks, if in fact, a student is being taken advantage of. It taints the industry and all of us as divers! I wish you the best ><> Happy Diving

Hello everyone!
I talked with my instructor this weekend and expressed some of my concerns and although I do not feel it went exactly as planned I think it went over well. He said I have exceeded his expectations so far and am progressing beautifully (Although idk if this is just bs instructor talk) I hope it is truthful. He has agreed to go over academics and my exercises in one day, yes 1 day. I am concerned that it is not normal for a DM intern to perform all required exercises in a couple hours due to the extreme physical activity involved but I will give it my best effort. Knowing that at least we will start progressing through the course potentially next week helps motivate me that I might be done with this course in the next month or so. The month I have already put into it plus another month I feel is acceptable for a DM course. I am also continuing my internship with the shop in the meantime. I am PADI certified and have all of my own equipment, plus a couple extra pieces in the case of a student forgetting a piece of gear. Let me know what you guys/gals think.

This is nothing. Like it or not, as a DM you hold others' lives in your charge. Buck up, man!
That is just ridiculous. Just because the OP is trying to be a DM, or even a guide to the top of Mt. Everest, gives nobody the right to abuse them. They are a paying customer and deserve service for their money. This service includes training ( classroom and dive) and evaluation. Sounds like the OP has gotten neither.
Hazing is not a DM candidate requirement, nor is having to pay an unreasonable amount to dive indefinitely, while working for free. DM class is a a course, not an indentured servitude.

I'm a bit confused do you not have a set of divemaster materials? I started my divemaster course through PADI recently. I received a bag that had the encyclopedia of diving, an application packet that had a hologram that I'm told not to lose under any circumstances, a physical form that had to be completed by a Dr. before starting in water exercises even though there are no yeses on my liability form, and a checklist of all tasks I must do that is scored initialed and dated by my instructor as we go. I also got an instructor manual that restates all the requirements for all programs through divemaster. Did you not receive these? It sounds as if you aren't even sure of the curriculum past the academics and written exam.

Last edited:
Hello there,

You know you are getting used... Get this 'course' done asap leave this divecenter and never come back.

I think you have earned your DM 100 times already.

I am doing the IANTD DM at the moment the costs where half of yours and I only have to pay my tanks filling.
I can go to the course whenever I have time I just have to tell them when I can join in with the dives.

And this is a technical dive course no rush take it easy course.
When I am following the other courses I dont have to do labour or so. Sometimes I bring the stage botles to the dive site because I see them walking with doubles already.

I am equal to the other divers and we all have a mutual respect even if you are new or a very good diver.

In basic we just dive for fun and to learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom