Potential problems with Divemaster class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EastCoastWreckDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone!

Maybe I am overeacting but I started my Divemaster class in the begginning of June this year, I have rented a place right near the local dive center so I would be available anytime, anyday to help expedite the class. It is now almost July, I have been told that I would probably not be done until september, all my knowledge reviews are done, the mapping project went great, the EAP went great also, pretty much the only thing left are the workshops were I will learn to teach skindiving and such and the exercises which I feel will go over smoothly. I dont have any friends that dive so I bring my problem here, the scuba shop although highly recognized throughout the area is working me pretty hard, putting air in tanks, washing out vans, rinsing and loading gear and more basic things a divemaster should do. My problem is they keep pushing me to go on more dives and although I would love to dive all the time, I have to pay for all my dives and at nearly $180 bucks a pop plus my equipment and living cost, my funds are being depleted and I can not seem to get anything but vague answers on how I am progressing and when my actual date of completion will be. I know my instructor is amazing but I feel constantly pushed to buy more gear, to pay for more dives, and with no possible end in sight I am wondering is this normal for divemaster candidates? Am I overeacting and should I just go with whatever they say and keep my mouth shut? I have voiced my opinions for a couple weeks and I have gotten nowhere, someone please give me their opinion on what I should do.

Well, I don't think it's unusual for DM candidates to be expected to do some unpaid work, and it's probably a good thing rather than a bad thing that they want you to do more diving -- but at $180 a day, I sure wouldn't be able to keep that up very long.

I think you should ask your identified instructor (the person who's going to sign off on you) to go out for coffee or something, and sit down and express your concerns, and ask him for a specific list of things he needs you to do or standards you need to meet to consider the class finished. Although it may not be true, I could envision a situation where they want this to last as long you do, so that they can continue with the unpaid worker and the income from the days of diving.

I don't know squat about DM training, but my general rule for ANY work training is, I don't pay for it. If I paid for a course and was doing free work around the shop, there is no way in hell I'd pay to go diving. I also wouldn't buy any equipment.

Edit: Like TSandM said, I'd have a chat with them explaining I ain't no Mr. MoneyBags.

Hi everyone! ...//....

Hello and welcome, tough first post.

...//...my funds are being depleted and I can not seem to get anything but vague answers on how I am progressing and when my actual date of completion will be. ...//....

Are you doing this because you can, or are you planning to make a living as a DM?

Good and interesting post. I'm a working DM and the work your putting in is the norm during your training. My DM class took around 3 months of hard work and I now work for the shop that trained me.
$180 to go diving seems real expensive though. With that amount of $ being spent you must be boat diving and maybe renting some gear? I see your name states east coast diver so you may also be renting two sets of some gear and pony bottles possibly. Otherwise that's just way too much to do a couple of dives.

I also would tell you to meet up with your instructor away from the shop and just tell him your running out of funds but you still want to get the class done. As long as your instructor isn't the shop owner he'll instantly know where your coming from and if he's a good instructor find a way to keep you diving and make it less expensive if at all possible.

There are court cases that show while this may be "norm" for dive shops it is not legal, you can't make someone work without pay and you can't hold back a certification if they refuse to do the "free" work. Trading diving for work would be a fair trade and legal as it is considered barter.

There are court cases that show while this may be "norm" for dive shops it is not legal, you can't make someone work without pay and you can't hold back a certification if they refuse to do the "free" work. Trading diving for work would be a fair trade and legal as it is considered barter.

What??? Dive shops being unscrupulous? Say it ain't so!

The work is the intership part of the DM class. Your told before the class what's expected of you and what the student can expect to be doing during the class. I'm sure it's been fought in court before and that's why it's your working internship part of the class, but if you aren't willing to do some work without anybody paying you or telling you thank you and or great job, NEVER even think about being a dive pro PERIOD!

lets get this straight. You paid for a dm course and they want you to work for them at no pay filling tanks,cleaning vans etc..that is NOT part of required DM skills..If they gave you the course for free with the understanding that you work a few hours for them that may be something else. Do they have you covered under their workmans compensation insurance? You get hurt there working you are screwed.
DM intern is to assist with class academics/confined water and ow training dives, and learning to supervise divers and divers in training.. There are a required number of courses and ow dives that you are required to assist with,not just till they feel that it is ok..Anything else amount to slave labor. On top of that they have the nerve to charge you to simply go diving...RUN do not walk away from that situation. Is this going on in the United States??
As to gear ownership, at this level,even before ,usually at advance ow you really should have owned your own gear. I would ask why would someone want be a DM and not have made the commitment to own a complete set of gear ??.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom