Potential problems with Divemaster class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 of the opinions that you're being taken for a ride.

When I train DMs they pay for their course and we do all the work together for every dive they assist with as part of the internship. In other words, if I haul tanks, the DMT hauls tanks alongside me; if I wash sand out of the truck after a beach dive, the DMT does this together wih me; when I clean up rental gear, the DMT helps. I don't ask the DMT to serve food, clean toilets, run to the store to restock refreshments, etc. None of that is DM work and is only related to the job in the sense that our divers eat the food, use the toilet, and drink the beverages. My DMs have to pay for boat dives that aren't part of the internship (i.e., if the dives are fun dives or are needed to get to the minimum dive count for certification), but even with these dives, I offer the dives at cost (about 2/3 off retail price) and I don't make any money on these DMT dives (the cost is something like $35/two dives on air at the DMT rate). If my DMT needs any equipment at all, I offer it at a professional courtesy discount (about 20% off). I don't see my DMTs as "customers" as much as I see them as "colleagues in development." Why would I want to cheat my colleagues?

Thanks everyone for the great advice, I have a lot of thinking to do now. Although I dont want to quit the program and lose the hours and time I have put into it that may be the best option. I will try to discuss things further with my instructor and hopefully develop a better solution to the problem. I have gained expierence through this class and I have enjoyed the work. I know that I want to be a dive professional in the near future and if things go well with the instructor I would be glad to finish my course with the dive shop.

why the hell would you want to be associated with this outfit at all? Jesus! Who said it was one of the best on the East Coast? Them? More than likely. Screwing over DM candidates like they are doing you is disgusting. I wanted my DMC to use a reg I sell. So I bought her one. Nothing out of her pocket. Anything she needs is at cost. I do not allow her to buy air. I provide it or pay for it. Helping out with classes? I provide the transportation. Anything not directly related to your actual DM course such as filling tanks, cleaning vans, helping out in the store is work you should be paid for. Period. End of freakin story. In fact if you are doing all this stuff your course should be free! You should not be paying for gear rental, tanks, etc. I bet they keep telling you what a great DM you will make and a great instructor they will be lucky to have. If so then ask them to give you a guaranteed contract now that spells out your future with them. That kind of talk about how great you'll be is often bull crap marketing the agency tells them to vomit up to keep your money flowing into their pockets.

One of best on the east coast my ass. I just wish I knew who they were so I could avoid any dealings in any way with them. By the way an IDC soon after DM is another marketing gimmick that has little to do with reality. To places like you are dealing with DM's are no more than cannon fodder. There are three more they can sucker in if you leave.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tatalk 2

Hi everyone!

Maybe I am overeacting but I started my Divemaster class in the begginning of June this year, I have rented a place right near the local dive center so I would be available anytime, anyday to help expedite the class. It is now almost July, I have been told that I would probably not be done until september, all my knowledge reviews are done, the mapping project went great, the EAP went great also, pretty much the only thing left are the workshops were I will learn to teach skindiving and such and the exercises which I feel will go over smoothly. I dont have any friends that dive so I bring my problem here, the scuba shop although highly recognized throughout the area is working me pretty hard, putting air in tanks, washing out vans, rinsing and loading gear and more basic things a divemaster should do. My problem is they keep pushing me to go on more dives and although I would love to dive all the time, I have to pay for all my dives and at nearly $180 bucks a pop plus my equipment and living cost, my funds are being depleted and I can not seem to get anything but vague answers on how I am progressing and when my actual date of completion will be. I know my instructor is amazing but I feel constantly pushed to buy more gear, to pay for more dives, and with no possible end in sight I am wondering is this normal for divemaster candidates? Am I overeacting and should I just go with whatever they say and keep my mouth shut? I have voiced my opinions for a couple weeks and I have gotten nowhere, someone please give me their opinion on what I should do.

I think you will never graduate ! This instructor / dive shop has found the dream combo - a servant who pays for the privilege of working !

Unfortunately I can not reveal the dive shop I am doing my DMC at, I do not wish to affect sales and/or their reputation, it is possible this particular shop is not being professionall in their teachings I however will be professional and respect their business, however corrupted it might be. I think that is the sign of a good potential DM

A good DM looks out for his students and those who use him as a DM. He does not owe any loyalty towards those who take advantage of him/her and use them as slaves. Protecting a shop that uses unethical practices just allows the shop to take advantage of more people. That is the problem with much of the industry today. There is too much focus on protecting the shop, agency, resort, etc and not enough on taking care of the individual diver. I'd be pissed at someone who knew shady doings were going on, people getting taken advantage of, ripped off, overcharged, etc and did not warn the next person. That is ethical behavior. My ethics, morals, and personal beliefs come before any business. It's why I'm independent. My focus is on the students/divers. Not a shop.

I can understand holding your cards close to your chest while you're still trying to finish up your course through this shop, but by maintaining silence, you are like a rape victim who won't denounce the attacker because the harm has already been done and making it all public could easily add to the pain. The problem is that this approach leaves the perp free to victimize others in the future.

Jim, I have never know you to sugar coat your opinion or your convictions.

Thank you for being openly honest with this victim.

I think you should meet with the shop owner and talk about your concerns. If he blows you off -- won't meet with you, or refuses to come up with a checklist of things you can both agree upon to finish the class, then you SHOULD make the name public, because I think that would definitely be evidence that you are being used.

On the other hand, I've seen DM classes take months to finish, because the instructor wanted things done over and over again or done to his own standards. I've also seen busy instructors and shop owners blow off problems that aren't immediate, because they have to attend to issues that ARE.

You should have a primary, identified instructor who will be signing your card. Give that person an opportunity to create a checklist with you, and let him hear your worries about time and money getting this done. Be polite, but stand your ground. Judge the operation on the reaction you get.

Although I dont want to quit the program and lose the hours and time I have put into it that may be the best option.

When you've taken a wrong turn, a step backwards is a step in the right direction--Kurt Vonnegut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom