Potential problems with Divemaster class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My DM course is going well now that I have talked with my instructor over my personal concerns. I think it was silly of me to post this thread in the first place without speaking to my instructor first. I have finally fell in love with my LDS and I don't think I could have chosen a better location to take my class at.

I don't think it was silly. You had a bad feeling and needed a second opinion. Too bad the LDS didn't start the relationship off the right way in the first place.

Good to read an update. It's OK if you don't "fall in love" with your LDS. I think we all have love/hate relationships with them :screwy:

Do let us know when you complete your DM. No more washing vans! Maybe you could strike a deal with the dive boat for reduced fees to dive with them.

Good luck

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Hi everyone!

Maybe I am overeacting but I started my Divemaster class in the begginning of June this year, I have rented a place right near the local dive center so I would be available anytime, anyday to help expedite the class. It is now almost July, I have been told that I would probably not be done until september, all my knowledge reviews are done, the mapping project went great, the EAP went great also, pretty much the only thing left are the workshops were I will learn to teach skindiving and such and the exercises which I feel will go over smoothly. I dont have any friends that dive so I bring my problem here, the scuba shop although highly recognized throughout the area is working me pretty hard, putting air in tanks, washing out vans, rinsing and loading gear and more basic things a divemaster should do. My problem is they keep pushing me to go on more dives and although I would love to dive all the time, I have to pay for all my dives and at nearly $180 bucks a pop plus my equipment and living cost, my funds are being depleted and I can not seem to get anything but vague answers on how I am progressing and when my actual date of completion will be. I know my instructor is amazing but I feel constantly pushed to buy more gear, to pay for more dives, and with no possible end in sight I am wondering is this normal for divemaster candidates? Am I overeacting and should I just go with whatever they say and keep my mouth shut? I have voiced my opinions for a couple weeks and I have gotten nowhere, someone please give me their opinion on what I should do.

Hi EastCoastWreckDiver :)

I know that my input into this discussion is 2 years too late for you, however I feel that what I will have to write about your circumstances back then will really help many others who do find themselves in the similar confused situation!

I apologize on behalf of the dive operator who made you feel as if you were getting ‘nowhere’ as you say!
As a paying customer you are not obligated to assist in any situation except during the assessment of your professional dive training. You were probably pressured into investing more in yourself (although by your description, it may have been to invest in their business to keep them afloat) because of their own mismanagement of your training, which if they were to admit to that would tarnish their reputation.

Anyways, I sincerely hope you have persevered with your dive education despite that unfortunate experience!

For anyone who is considering living the dive lifestyle, be careful of what is promised as such! There is a fine line between employee and intern, but there is a line and the differences of roles and responsibilities are distinct.
Browse through the information I’ve provided here on what Downbelow Marine and Wildlife Adventures offer to complete the PADI Divemaster course integrated into a Go PRO internship program:

PADI Divemaster | IDC Asia

The UNLIMITED scuba diving is included in the internship program, and not charged extra by the dive!
Also outlined is what is not included, something important to avoid unwelcomed surprises of what you will need to arrange independently, but we uphold excellent customer service and offer you any advice to make you as comfortable as possible.

If you are interested in becoming a dive educator, get in touch with our HQ in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, and discuss the variety of options we have to personalize your Go PRO internship program to suit your individual needs.

For up-to-date research, read our blogs and add us on social media networks:

Blogs:
News | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!
News & Events | IDC Asia
Instructor Development Blog | Instructor Development Course IDC Malaysia, Asia
Our Blog | Gap Year Borneo

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow
Twitter: https://twitter.com/divedownbelow
Pinterest: Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures on Pinterest
Tumblr: http://divedownbelow.tumblr.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back