Potential problems with Divemaster class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am creating an overview of my concerns to present to my primary instructor to get a target completion date, a timeline of work due, and a set schedule of workshops and classes. I know that a DM class could take months and the instructor signing off has the final say so on whether I become a DM or not. I appreciate the feedback from the users of this forum and hopefully soon my instructor and I will come to a happy medium for me to complete my course. If the course will take much longer than I was told when I started it I will have to discontinue my training to raise more funds. I was told approximately two months and this is understandable, however I did not save enough money to last 3-4 months. I hope my instructor will see my dillema and figure out a way to make my DM course more efficient and less stressful.

Here is what I would probably do if I were in your booties.

1. Look around for other shops you might be willing to work with.

2. Describe your situation and ask if they would be willing to complete your DM training provided that you can supply them with a very specific list of what has been accomplished and what needs to be accomplished. Make sure you understand what will be expected of you in your "internship."

Once you have identified an acceptable solution above....

3. Ask the owner of your current shop for a very specific list of what has been accomplished and what needs to be accomplished.

4. Once you have the list, tell the owner that you are now going to have to choose which dive operator will complete your training.

BTW, if you can get that list and feel like a Rocky Mountain High Altitude dive experience, I will complete your training without any requirement for work outside of normal DM duties whatsoever.

...//... I have voiced my opinions for a couple weeks and I have gotten nowhere. ...//...

Lots of good advice above.

...//... someone please give me their opinion on what I should do.

***Fire a shot across their bow.***
PM me with the shop's name, I'll keep your confidence as your charges are unsubstantiated, and I'll avoid the shop until we hear their side of the story.

Here is my experience as a PADI pro for more than 12 years, and being familiar with at least four area programs:

1.DM candidates should expect to d "grunt work" related to their dive training, especially when interning. That includes loading and unloading tanks and other gear from the van, filling tanks (when trained), setting up and tearing down "camp," and the like.

2. DM candidates SHOULD NOT pay for dives they go on, not even an air fill or lead use. That is true in Colorado and in Hawaii, and elsewhere.

3. DM candidates should expect it will take some time to fulfill all the requirement of the course, and more to excel in them. I hold the record at my LDA which has stood for 12 year, and that was four months. I worked diligently at all aspects of the course.

4. Dm's do a lot of grunt work even when paid. When I DM with my favorite Maui dive center, I get to lead divers on beautiful dives, but before and after I am up early loading the boat with equipment and tanks, load guests gear, set up rental gear, off load and clean the boat, fill air tanks, and etc. That's the real world of professional diving. By the way, I love it.

DivemasterDennis

I love how everyone on this post has said the same thing, of course I agree with everything that has been said.

1. DM candidates get their dives for little to no cost, I have noticed another DMC at the shops gets free charters based on availability. If there is room on the boat he gets a free charter, and loses his spot if a paying customer signs up for a spot on the boat making it full. He is also an employee of the shop so this most likely allows him these benefits. I however am just a student.
2. DMC's do a lot of grunt work, I expect that and enjoy working around the shop, but with no benefits other than expierience helping at a dive shop, I feel I am most definately being taken advantage of.
3. DM classes take a lot of time based on the expierence level of the diver, every DMC could use more expierience, where exactly does this portion end?

Every shop needs a chance to defend themselves and please remember this potential problem is just one persons side of the story. If I feel like I am still getting nowhere with my instructor or the owner of the shop after I have voiced my concerns I will leave the shop and continue my training elsewhere. I wish I had signed a formal contract with detailed information on the course progression so I had more evidence to prove my concerns.

I wouldn't treat an employee like that much less a customer...but then again I'm not in the business so what do I know???

If I feel like I am still getting nowhere with my instructor or the owner of the shop after I have voiced my concerns I will leave the shop and continue my training elsewhere.

..but make sure you have the option before committing to that plan.

What agency is the shop affiliated with?

I need to reinforce this one more time in case you forgot.
If things get really ugly you need to get your folder and move on.
Once they know you 'got smart' to them things could either suddenly get really good or really bad.
Somehow I think it's going to be the second one.
You need to make sure everything you did is marked in the folder.
If they hold back and refuse to give you your folder out of spite I would report them instantly to the certifying agency your going through and explain in detail everything that happened.
If they blow you off I would change agencies immediatly (telling them so and why in a letter) and then I would file a small claims lawsuit against the shop.
from what I gather you paid $1100 for the class up front plus all the boat dives at $160 ea. and whatever else related to your DM course. I would sue them for the total.
Maybe I seem harsh but I HATE seeing people get screwed.

I hope those A-holes are reading this thread!

When I first read your post I thought you were getting it done for free in exchange for work.

Surprised to find out you have paid more than $1000 for it.

You are a customer - get that in your head - not an employee. You need to start acting like a customer and demand they resolve this -

Yes DM takes time - but they should have cleared those details with you at the start of things - I have read of zero to hero programmes taking three months - 6 months. A DM should be way less than that.

Work out how much left - dives - course work = whatever it may be and tick them off one by one.

Don't clean vans - not part of the DM. How will that you as a Diver?
Blending O2 tanks to make nitrox - helpful to your diving career.

Best of luck - let us know how it goes.

I have emailed my instructor outlining the fact that I we need to go over my knowledge reviews (which we have failed to look at at all and I have been in the class for over a month), he says acedemics will come in time and I am to continue studying my course materials. He was also prepared to offer me more work assisting with more open water classes this weekend. The fact that we will not be going over my actual DM classwork disapoints me but I will use the opportunity this weekend to discuss my issues and hopefully develop a positive level of communication where we can start working on my class itself and stop the continuous assisting with OW divers. Of course assisting with classes is im sure part of the curiculum, I still feel that my own acedemics should be reviewed, especially after I have already been doing class work for over a month. I hope things go well this weekend, its looks like I have some hard work ahead of me but keeping a positive outlook is all I have left now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom