Carnival 2013----First time to Cozumel, any tips??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luke Triever

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My family and I will be making our first trip to Cozumel in February. As luck has it we will be there during Carnival. Don't quite know what to expect. We will be staying at Hotel Cozumel. Looks like we will be within walking distance to San Miguel.

Any suggestions of must see's and must do's not only on the island, but also for Carnival?

I've read so much about Cozumel diving here on SB, I can't wait to get back in the water. I must admit drift diving will be a new experience, but looking forward to the thrill.

I already picked a dive op. After sending out a handful of emails to various shops, Alison with Scuba with Alison responded within minutes. Her operation looks to be top notch and gets great reviews not only on SB but on Trip Advisor as well. Looking forward to a fast boat that isn't overloaded. I understand she only takes a max of 8 divers and lets you dive your tank. Any other SB'ers diving with her during Carnival?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Luke

My family and I will be making our first trip to Cozumel in February. As luck has it we will be there during Carnival. Don't quite know what to expect. We will be staying at Hotel Cozumel. Looks like we will be within walking distance to San Miguel.

Any suggestions of must see's and must do's not only on the island, but also for Carnival?

I've read so much about Cozumel diving here on SB, I can't wait to get back in the water. I must admit drift diving will be a new experience, but looking forward to the thrill.

I already picked a dive op. After sending out a handful of emails to various shops, Alison with Scuba with Alison responded within minutes. Her operation looks to be top notch and gets great reviews not only on SB but on Trip Advisor as well. Looking forward to a fast boat that isn't overloaded. I understand she only takes a max of 8 divers and lets you dive your tank. Any other SB'ers diving with her during Carnival?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Luke

Being at Hotel Coz is the perfect location for Carnival. You have a short walk to town but are far enough away from the concerts which go on late into the night. Try reserving a parade side table in front of Jeanies waffle house on Fat Tuesday, table service, good food and drinks, banos and a great spot to watch the last parade.You will be spoiled drift diving and Alisons boat is really nice.

I was there last feb and the harbor master shut down all diving due to weather. We was diving with Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel we got to dive because they were the only op that had boats on both sides of the island. They also use steel 120 for men and steel 100 for women , just a thought .

I'll second Alison and her boat.....well the Captian is pretty awesome too. Now her customers can be a little shady, let's take CvChief for example. He's late everyday, hogs all the good photo ops and drinks all the tequila on island. I heard a rumor that he might also be there for Carnival. :wink:

You MUST go to La Choza for the garlic fish and a margarita, but then again the margarita's at the Money Bar are pretty good too. I'm sure CV will be having another SB El Moro night if he is indeed going for Carnival. If so, then the mole is on the top of my list. This year I had something made from corn, cream, cheese and hot spices from a local street vendor that was sooo good, can't remember the name though.

You'll have fun either way, Alison and crew doesn't disappoint, the island is beautiful and Carnival is a good time!!

February is a great time to go. Allison has a few big fans that post in a regular basis on Scubaboard. I trust their judgement! Hotel Cozumel is in a great location, a quick walk to town for dinner and parades. If you took then AI option, I would still recommend you have dinner in town. There are lots of great inexpensive restaurants worth a visit. I spent the entire month of February in Cozumel this year. The weather was perfect. I dove most every day and do not remember loosing a day of diving due a Norte closing the port. It can and does happen. I would not be to worried. Enjoy your trip!

You will have a great time diving with Alison & Carlos! I would also try a couple of dinners in town even if you have the all-inclusive as Judy said. El Moro, Kinta, Especias and La Choza are all great places.

Carol, I have always called the corn elotes but I hear some people calling it esquites (sp?) Its my favorite.

Carol, I have always called the corn elotes but I hear some people calling it esquites (sp?) Its my favorite.

Thanks Chace, wonder if we will be able to find them next month?

I'm surprised CV hasn't shown up with his Pom Pom's yet, but then again I heard he is doing the bob and weave today. Annie's got a gun comes to mind. El Jefe you ok?

You'll get a million restaurant recommendations, but even if you don't have a steak at Del Sur (which would be a crime), at the very least go for the empanadas! We had the Del Sur (cheese, bacon and plum) for an appetizer and chocolate and banana for dessert (well, I did, i was not sharing)

Being at Hotel Coz is the perfect location for Carnival. You have a short walk to town but are far enough away from the concerts which go on late into the night. Try reserving a parade side table in front of Jeanies waffle house on Fat Tuesday, table service, good food and drinks, banos and a great spot to watch the last parade.You will be spoiled drift diving and Alisons boat is really nice.

Sounds like a good idea, thank you.

---------- Post Merged at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:50 PM ----------

You'll get a million restaurant recommendations, but even if you don't have a steak at Del Sur (which would be a crime), at the very least go for the empanadas! We had the Del Sur (cheese, bacon and plum) for an appetizer and chocolate and banana for dessert (well, I did, i was not sharing)

I don't recall seeing this anywhere in the reviews I read. Where is Del Sur located?

Ok, lets see:

1. We are coming for Carnival. Mucho fun on the boat, however, I will be late everyday.
2. I think Elotes are on the cob, equites is a mouth full of goodness in a cup, but similar.
3. There WILL be a scubaboard night at El Moro. Ray is the best. You will be hugged...
4. I don't drink all the tequila on the island all the time. Only during carnival.
5. Alison and Carlos are terrific. And since I will be there, you don't have to worry who will catch all the %$%$#.

Del sur is on 5 ave just south of the plaza on the corner across from the French Quarter. Nice place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom