Carnival 2013----First time to Cozumel, any tips??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About that Hug? Ummm if Ray is a dude, I'm good with a handshake and maybe a pat on the shoulder. Don't think my son would let me live it down if a man I've never met hugs me, just saying...

Looking forward to diving with you cvchief. Have you tried the table service at the Waffle place that was mentioned for watching the parade?

Keep the info coming.....please.....

Ok, lets see:

1. Ray is a dude. Welcome to Latin America. You will be hugged and you will like it. If your son squawks, he will be hugged too. I will also hug him to make it worse. At least there is no kissing. If someone has a birthday, tell Ray:

IMG_0855.jpg

2. I don't know about the waffle house, but I will be working on a renting a hotel room overlooking the street for the Alison crowd. There will be firedancers and throwing of beads and toys for the kids.

3. I tried a bit of ribeye at Del Sur and it was amazing. However, the empanadas are the bomb. Order at least 2 to start and make one the Del Sur with the plum. Don't question this advice, trust. I also like the chorizo. Get the apple, but tell them you want the de leche sauce on it. The new 'test' emp of white chocolate and either raspberry or grape jelly is nice too.

IMG_0865.jpg

The quince one is good too:

IMG_0868.jpg

4. The esquites in the plaza are awesome. They will ask if you want ice cream while you are standing in a line with no gringos. They will ask also if you want it with everything. Do it!

5. Sabores is a GREAT cheap lunch. Sent people dive buddies from the Maximus last week and they raved about it.

6. I will have to disagree on the Mission restaurants. Casa Mission is nice, but the regular menu is expensive. You can go at lunch and get the Parrilla Mission lunch menu, but you have to ask for it. The grounds at Casa Mission are lovely and they have a little tequila tour operation in the yard. Our favorite though is Parrilla Mission on 30th ave between Calle 2 and 4 I believe. Good Mex dishes. Great fajitas. Great price. We took a pile of fish from our fishing adventure and had them cook it Friday and it was wonderful. My b-in-law really liked that the place was CHEAP too... It also has a side bar buffet of assorted hot sides you can help yourself to with your meal. Lots of interesting stuff there from black beans to potatoes with spicy stuff to a creamy cactus or poblano pepper. (There was some dispute over what it was, but it was GOOD....)

Iphone 004.jpg

7. Not unusual to start having mossies biting your legs during dinner. Most every place has a nice can of Off. Ask for it.

8. Did I mention Buccano's beach club? They do a fabulos dinner I hear, though pricey. Awesome for the romatics, I hear. Figure $80 plus tip for two? On the other hand, it makes a great breakfast spot. For 10.50 US you get a coffee and juice, a fruit plate drizzled in honey and a breakfast entree. I like the breakfast quesadillas. Chorizo and egg and potatoes and whatnot with a great spicy remoulade with spots of habanero to kick it a bit more:

IMG_0840.jpg

The place also has a great presence, very substatial and palatial in that 70's style. And I am all about style....:

IMG_0836.jpg

I have just booked a trip for nine people, staying at Hotel Cozumel during Carnival as well. I have been to Coz during Carnival several time in the last several years and my biggest advice is relax. The Island has a festival astmosphere, the parades and activities in the evenings are fun. Don't plan on doing to much and just do what comes naturally. You are a mile from the square downtown, and we usuall have dinner (or go in town for dinner) and stroll in to see what we can get into. There are several good restaurants that will give you a good vantage point of the parade, but they fill up quickly. We usually find a good one on the last day (Tuesday the 12th) and stake our place. After that it's good food, cold beer and great atmosphere. It's an island, so just go with it. I have also had good luck by asking the locals where they go to eat. The hotel staff, dive masters, taxi drivers all are great sources of information for the places that the gringos don't often go, and have tremendous food. More often than not, they may direct you to a friend of family member's place, but I have had some of the best meals in little four and five table places off the beaten path. Just excercise the appropriate level of caution when eating in Cozumel. You will never fear for your physical safety, but it's important to protect your digestive track, especially when getting adventorous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom