Carnival 2013----First time to Cozumel, any tips??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, lets see:

1. We are coming for Carnival. Mucho fun on the boat, however, I will be late everyday.
2. I think Elotes are on the cob, equites is a mouth full of goodness in a cup, but similar.
3. There WILL be a scubaboard night at El Moro. Ray is the best. You will be hugged...
4. I don't drink all the tequila on the island all the time. Only during carnival.
5. Alison and Carlos are terrific. And since I will be there, you don't have to worry who will catch all the %$%$#.

Del sur is on 5 ave just south of the plaza on the corner across from the French Quarter. Nice place.

About that Hug? Ummm if Ray is a dude, I'm good with a handshake and maybe a pat on the shoulder. Don't think my son would let me live it down if a man I've never met hugs me, just saying...

Looking forward to diving with you cvchief. Have you tried the table service at the Waffle place that was mentioned for watching the parade?

Keep the info coming.....please.....

This year I had something made from corn, cream, cheese and hot spices from a local street vendor that was sooo good, can't remember the name though.

Esquites are to die for. I frequent the little stand that sells helados (ice cream) and esquites on the south side of the plaza near the flag. Boiled up kernals of corn with mayo, cheese, media crema, limon and chile.... it's almost a meal. I've been known to moan as I'm eating it. There are 2 mothers or grandmothers hovering in the background as the young guys selling it try to be cool.

esquites1346.jpg

Esquites are to die for. I frequent the little stand that sells helados (ice cream) and esquites on the south side of the plaza near the flag. Boiled up kernals of corn with mayo, cheese, media crema, limon and chile.... it's almost a meal. I've been known to moan as I'm eating it. There are 2 mothers or grandmothers hovering in the background as the young guys selling it try to be cool.

View attachment 133645

THATS IT!!!! I chuckled as a local tried to stop/protect me from burning my mouth from the spices. After the first bite I had a big smile, he was surprised at the lack of steam or flames from my ears/nose. That is definitely on my list next month, can't wait!!

I'll give a hearty Second to the recommendation for Del Sur -- and you can make a very good meal with just the small salad and several Empanadas. It's right on Ave 5 (runs North-South parallel to the main drag, Melgar, 1 block back from the water), about 2 blocks south of the Plaza.

I stayed at Hotel Cozumel during the Cozumel Invasion in July, and though I really liked the Hotel (get a room overlooking the pool, Not the Ocean/Street -- it will be quieter, especially during Carnivale), I thought the AI food was terrible. Yes, I'm a bit of a food snob, and I really like the restaurants on Cozumel, which is why I have never before done the AI thing, though I understand that if you are bringing young children the AI can be pretty convenient for a family. Just don't plan on every meal there if you do decide to go the AI route. Unless you are used to tasteless, bland food served buffet style, with little or no variety, you'll be disappointed. And there are a LOT of very good restaurants to check out. Some of my favorites are as follows:

Sabores, a little family owned Loncheria on Ave. 5, south of the Plaza, very close to Del Sur but across the street. It's only open for lunch, a perfect place for a late lunch after diving. Great Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde, a very good Chicken Mole, and lots of other choices. For 70 pesos (about $5.00), plus tip, you get chips & salsa, soup, entree, and Agua Fresca, a flvored drink - I really like the Jamaica (i think that's right), looks like red Koolaid, flavored with Hibiscus flowers. I try to go to Sabores for lunch at least once every trip.

Kinta - a pricier restaurant on Ave. 5 about two blocks north of the Plaza. Food, atmosphere, service are all just first rate. Same with Kondessa, another restaurant south of the Plaza owned by the same folks who own Kinta. Casa Mission. There are three (?) different Mission restaurants, but my favorite is Casa Mission, a big traditional Mexican house a ways back from the water -I think its on Ave 55 or 60, just off of the main transversal road (the one that runs straight back from the north side of the Plaza). I love siting out in the beautiful gardens for a traditional Mexican dinner. Watch the Salsa though, the one with a bit of Habanero will light your tongue on fire! I also really like Pancho's Backyard, behind the Los Cinco Soles store on Melgar about 4 or 5 blocks north of the Plaza. Pancho's has a Bananas Flambe dessert that is outstanding, and the skewered Tequila Shrimp are pretty good, too. And I like shopping at Los Cinco Soles - It's become sort of my own tradition to bring back a few pieces of Tallavera, the hand-painted, brightly colored Mexican stoneware from every trip; I think I have about 10 full place settings by now! For non-Mexican fare, try La Terraza, which has really good pasta dishes, as well as some pretty good seafood specials, and Guido's, an italian place with good Lasagna and wood-fired Pizza. Far too many good restaurants on Cozumel for me to list them all. For a real Gourmet experience, try Buccanos, its way north in the North Hotel Zone, only open for dinner on Friday and Saturday (I think), but a beautiful setting and the food is nothing short of amazing. It's expensive for Cozumel, but I think well worth it.

---------- Post Merged at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:58 PM ----------

BTW, if you haven't already found it, a website CozumelMyCozumel.com is a very good source of info on Cozumel. It has a long and informative listing of restaurants in different price ranges, and the Forums are a good source of info on a lot of things, like taxi rates, restaurant reviews, shopping (including how to get rebates on Mexican VAT taxes you pay when you buy stuff to take home; if you pay more that $100 for Tequila, Kahlua, Silver trinkets, TeeShirts, etc. at a participating store, you can get an immediate refund of 65% of the VAT taxes you pay IF you keep the paperwork and follow the rules), diving, other things to see and do on Cozumel and the mainland, etc. I highly recommend it. And DO NOT TRUST the reviews on TripAdvisor - those Reviews are easily manipulated, and are only occassionally reliable. Better that you find personal reviews here, on CozumelMyCozumel.com, on CozumelInsider.com, and other Blogs.

if you pay more that $100 for Tequila, Kahlua, Silver trinkets, TeeShirts, etc. at a participating store, you can get an immediate refund of 65% of the VAT taxes you pay IF you keep the paperwork and follow the rules

"Immediate" in the sense of "40 days after you leave for home". The refund service has a website.

"Immediate" in the sense of "40 days after you leave for home". The refund service has a website.

I stand corrected. So "immediate" was a slight exaggeration. Still, getting a refund of taxes is always fun, even if the paperwork is a hassle. Makes Mexico feel more like home, doesn't it?

Wow. You've done a great deal of work. I can't recall a better presentation of basic information, esp. restaurants. Depreefers may have been as good at one time, but has more than lost it's edge.

Glad you like it. There are a number of good Cozumel restaurant sites out there. Mine is just my subjective list that makes no attempt to be complete (and is strictly limited to places I've personally eaten and can recommend) and that sorts places by meal rather than other popular ways (price, location, cuisine, etc.) Since I had all the info compiled anyway, it wasn't too hard to format it for the rental website so guests (and we) could figure out where might be a good place to get lunch or whatever.

I'm not familiar with Depreefers, though.

Back
Top Bottom