HOG D1 Combo vs SP MK25/A700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all.there are no test labs like consumer reports uses for scuba gear.

Not exactly Jim.

Some of the regulator tests were performed at and by Dive Lab in Panama City, Florida. Dive Lab is an independent test facility, and home to one of the few ANSTI machines in the United States.

Dive Lab's interests are more in the commercial diving and military diving fields. They also do training for Kirby Morgan service technicians and other KM product testing.

As I understand, they were hired to do the regulator testing 2 years ago, which named the MK25/S600 such a great regulator. They told me (as I was there training as a KM service trainer/tech) that it is/was one of the best performing regs they ever saw.

It's a very interesting place and cool facility.

Not exactly Jim.

Some of the regulator tests were performed at and by Dive Lab in Panama City, Florida. Dive Lab is an independent test facility, and home to one of the few ANSTI machines in the United States.

Dive Lab's interests are more in the commercial diving and military diving fields. They also do training for Kirby Morgan service technicians and other KM product testing.

As I understand, they were hired to do the regulator testing 2 years ago, which named the MK25/S600 such a great regulator. They told me (as I was there training as a KM service trainer/tech) that it is/was one of the best performing regs they ever saw.

It's a very interesting place and cool facility.

Interesting, but I think it's not the point. Consumer reports has their own in house testing labs and no one "hires" them to do a test. Their membership funds their operations and product is obtained on the open market just like a consumer would.

---------- Post Merged at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Interesting article I've never read:

http://www.divelab.com/assets/pdf/technical/Regulator_Performance.pdf

If you think the gas mix is irrelevant to regulator performance, maybe you shouldn't be attempting these dives.

Or it's just a Hog conspiracy. That's probably it.

speaking of which gas for 180. if your only angle is the "titanium" alloy. it must a hog conspiracy.

speaking of which gas for 180. if your only angle is the "titanium" alloy. it must a hog conspiracy.

Sounds like you got everything figured out. It's pretty obvious you have zero interest in anything besides what you already own.

If your buddies are looking for MK25 quality for less just direct them to eBay . I'm sure they'll find some mk,20's or 25's for half of retail. Very close to the price point of the new HOGs you're looking at.

back to objective reviews.

I can only wonder how much salt that first-time-open-water-guy review's gonna be worth. afterall he gonna be (1) chillin in (2) ~30' with (3) his first ever regulator. just happen to be a D1.

even a R-8 PARAGON 2000 will pass such test.

Back to objective reviews? Ok.... *BUMP*

To recap, European EN250 standards require a reg to support 62.5 RMV @ 165 FEET with a max work of breathing of 3.0 j/l. Dive Lab describes a "great regulator" as one that can do this with a max work of breathing of 2.0 j/l. The Hog has been certified at .74 j/l. The MK25 / A700 combination has been certified at .66 j/l.

They are both great regulators. And as Johnathan said around the 1st or 2nd reply.... *you aren't going to notice the difference*

There's a piece in this month's Dive Training. It's up on the Edge Hog facebook page.

The only way that you could have gone " Bigger " is the MK25T/ S600T Titanium!

That would be going more expensive, not better. The A700 is a better performing regulator than the S600 (and S600T). Bigger is not always better, is it?

---

So at home right now I have a SP A700 and HOG D1 2nd stages, along with some dive rite, other scubapro (s555, R395, R295 etc), and so on. The HOG D1 is tuned to my Dive Rite 1208-5 first stage.

The A700 is a superior 2nd stage vs the HOG D1, period... but the D1 is pretty dang good! The HOG D1 is MUCH better than my Dive Rite and about the same as my S555. The difference between the D1 and the Dive Rite I have is a lot bigger than the difference between the A700 and the D1 -- they are pretty close. This was a surprise to be honest, because I didn't think the D1 would be as good as it is. I much prefer the plastic cover that costs about 8 bucks more over the stock one. I will probably be replacing my Dive Rite 2nd stages with D1 2nd stages, but my A700 isn't going anywhere.

The D1 sure did give me cotton mouth a couple days ago, but to be fair I was pretty dehydrated and a bit congested as I am getting over a head cold so I don't think it was the reg's fault. I'm going to dive it again this weekend a few times.

As a side note I can, and do, service ALL my own regs so the "you can service yourself" line doesn't really matter to me.

Back
Top Bottom