HOG D1 vs SP MK17/ MK25 for Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking the DGX RG3000 also makes a good option but In searching the board, I see a couple reports of initial tuning issues with HOGs, but there doesn't seem to be major quality issues with any of the regs. Overall, there seems to be a 2.5x price multiplier for branding - although I do really like my current SP reg and I'm generally a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". Decisions...decisions...

I still have my ScubaPro MK10/G250 that I bought over 25 years ago and it still works like a champ. I do not see that same level of commitment to quality in some of the "other" brands.

Talk to the Vintage guys, their double-hose regulators are over 50 years old.

---------- Post added June 12th, 2014 at 06:28 PM ----------

Its funny how the main selling feature of Hog regs is the cheap price while brands like ScubaPro, Apex and Atomic taught quality. Things that make you go hmmmm.

I think you need to read the posts more closely. People like HOG because they deliver top-of-the line performance for a low price. They also like the no bs parts policy. As to quality, read the thread about the chrome flaking off a new Atomic in the pool. LOL.

---------- Post added June 12th, 2014 at 06:31 PM ----------

I see a couple reports of initial tuning issues with HOGs, but there doesn't seem to be major quality issues with any of the regs.

My understanding is HOGs are sold as individual units, so it is up to the dive shop to tune them if selling a complete rig. If you don't buy a complete rig you have a collection of pieces that should be tuned.

Overall, there seems to be a 2.5x price multiplier for branding - although I do really like my current SP reg and I'm generally a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". Decisions...decisions...

Actually with regulators you generally pay for hype and marketing. They all work just fine, if they didn't the liability would be overwhelming. But if you want to stay with SP, go used. There are lots of MK20s out there that are basically the same as MK25s but half the price or less. There are lots of G250s around at a sort-of reasonable price too.

You might want to try diving the Hog before you buy one. I have only dove a Hog 1 time and the only thing I remember about the regulator is seeing bubbles the whole time. But it might not be an issue for you.

Funny you say that, I noticed the same thing. If I had my head in any position other than dead horizontal I'd get bubbles coming across the centre of my mask. Wasn't particularly bothersome but a noticeable difference from my Apeks which have wide exhaust T.

Funny you say that, I noticed the same thing. If I had my head in any position other than dead horizontal I'd get bubbles coming across the centre of my mask. Wasn't particularly bothersome but a noticeable difference from my Apeks which have wide exhaust T.
I experienced that too, probably because the HOG 2nd stage doesn't have an exhaust tee, just outlets in the casing. Also seemed noisier on exhale than my Conshelf 2nd for some reason.

Its funny how the main selling feature of Hog regs is the cheap price while brands like ScubaPro, Apex and Atomic taught quality. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Hmmm indeed. Actually, I think the quality vs cost that you get with HOG gear is making the above named companies go "Hmmmm".

I've owned, dove and worked on Aqualung and Scuabapro; been diving since 1976; I just picked up some HOG "Classic" 2nd stages on sale, and have had the chance to tear them down to take a look-see at their guts, and then dive them.

All I can say is that "big" manufacturers are going to have to find something other than "quality" and performance to fault HOG on.

Best wishes.

My understanding is HOGs are sold as individual units, so it is up to the dive shop to tune them if selling a complete rig. If you don't buy a complete rig you have a collection of pieces that should be tuned.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

No HOG set leaves my shop without being inspected, adjusted and tested....by me.

The only way a HOG reg leaves my bench without me doing any tuning or adjusting if needed is when the customer requests it. I've had some tech divers tell me to just verify the IP is correct with factory specs and ship it. They want to tune it themselves to the way they like it. No problem doing that on my end. But all of them get checked on an air supply before I ship them. Assembled sets get a written report of the IP and cracking pressure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HOG D1 1st stage with cold kit, $174.95
HOG Classic second stage, $109.95
HOG treating us like intelligent adults and selling low cost parts kits with viton o-rings to anyone, priceless.

They do have a few bugs they have worked out, a few that may yet need to be worked out, and like any reg there is always room for improvement in the next generation.
From all that I read the 1st stage is good, especially the new D3, the 2nd stage could apparently use a redesign to tweak a few things and adjust the exhaust flapper and exhaust design in general but nothing super serious.

There are definitely HOG's in my future purchase plans. Since I was recently forced for various reasons to order the parts to totally overhaul my MR22/Abyss/Proton rather than selling them, I might wait with HOG till a next gen 2nd with a new case design comes out, though that could be awhile as I read he was specifically trying to avoid doing just that. I will likely get one for a pony bottle I plan to buy and try it out on the main tank before I get one to replace my main reg set.

EDIT: cerich actually bothered to send me an email and the minor issue I had heard about is already fixed in current production.
And those prices I stated above weren't deal shopping, just random prices i grabbed quick to do my wannabe mastercard commercial joke. Seriously though, parts and service manual availability to anyone is really wonderful to me (though they strongly recommend taking the service class they offer).

Last edited:
If I were you I would look around more, I have seen better prices out there on HOG regulators. As to a second generation second stage, they first made the Classic, then the Switchback, and now the Zenith, so they are really on their third generation. I have a pair switchbacks which are good regulators, I am not sure why they were discontinued.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom