HOG D1 vs SP MK17/ MK25 for Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RVBldr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to add an additional reg for a first doubles setup and am looking at a HOG D1, or stick with SP. I have a MK25/S600 for my primary, but for the cost, a new HOG D1 - Cold water is really tempting for the secondary reg as opposed to staying with a SP MK25 or MK17. Any reason not to go with the D1?

just remember, your secondary reg is yours. In the event of an emergency, such as an OOA dive partner, that is the reg you will wind up breathing. Choose wisely.

after seeing my buddy's new set of D1-cold/Classics, I see no reason to not....

they would be my replacement choice if I ever divested of the MK17/G250 sets I own.....

I still have my ScubaPro MK10/G250 that I bought over 25 years ago and it still works like a champ. I do not see that same level of commitment to quality in some of the "other" brands.

I'm looking to add an additional reg for a first doubles setup and am looking at a HOG D1, or stick with SP. I have a MK25/S600 for my primary, but for the cost, a new HOG D1 - Cold water is really tempting for the secondary reg as opposed to staying with a SP MK25 or MK17. Any reason not to go with the D1?

For me most of my single tank diving is yoke and my doubles are DIN, so it was more convenient to have a dedicated set for my doubles; 2 1st stages, 2 2nds, with the right hose lengths. I'm not sure if that applies to your situation.

Anyhow, there's no actual reason to have different 1st stages on each post. I find the end ports very useful for the standard long hose/hogarthian routing, so I would not use 1st stages on my doubles that didn't have one. That nixes the MK17.

You might want to try diving the Hog before you buy one. I have only dove a Hog 1 time and the only thing I remember about the regulator is seeing bubbles the whole time. But it might not be an issue for you.

Its funny how the main selling feature of Hog regs is the cheap price while brands like ScubaPro, Apex and Atomic taught quality. Things that make you go hmmmm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom