HOG D1 vs SP MK17/ MK25 for Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not enough people bought them. Simple economics. They were designed with the side mount diver in mind. I started out using one myself for that reason but the hose configuration was not optimal for me. Others came to the same conclusion. So if it's not meeting sales expectations you chalk it up to experience and move on. Still supported as all the second stage kits are the same.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Is the Zenith actually a whole new second stage? I was under the impression it was mostly a redesigned purge cover assembly.
Did the main body or anything else in it change?

I worked for a ScubaPro dealer for about 15 years off and on, I do not recall ever sending back a single regulator that was new out of the box back to ScubaPro because it was defective. I am not a Hog dealer, but a shop nearby that I do some horse trading with is and he has been underwhelmed. He reports sending back 4 and had 2 problems with HP seats after freshly servicing. I am not saying the Hog reg is bad by any means, but, just me I need more. I am not looking for a cheap reg. If it meets your needs and you are happy, then that is all that matters.

Even funnier how I beat all those brands in the latest Scubalab test and git a Testers Choice for the D3 and Zenith...weird as heck, especially when you see that I don't advertise worth a darn.
Its funny how the main selling feature of Hog regs is the cheap price while brands like ScubaPro, Apex and Atomic taught quality. Things that make you go hmmmm.

---------- Post added June 14th, 2014 at 07:57 PM ----------

If he had problems with HPO seats after servicing the odds are 98.75% that he used the wrong assembly technique. We see quite a few techs that don't know how to assemble the reg without messing up the HP seat.... It is easy if you don't follow procedure.

I worked for a ScubaPro dealer for about 15 years off and on, I do not recall ever sending back a single regulator that was new out of the box back to ScubaPro because it was defective. I am not a Hog dealer, but a shop nearby that I do some horse trading with is and he has been underwhelmed. He reports sending back 4 and had 2 problems with HP seats after freshly servicing. I am not saying the Hog reg is bad by any means, but, just me I need more. I am not looking for a cheap reg. If it meets your needs and you are happy, then that is all that matters.

---------- Post added June 14th, 2014 at 07:58 PM ----------

New material in the poppet, balance chamber and new design LP Seat, new face cover.

Is the Zenith actually a whole new second stage? I was under the impression it was mostly a redesigned purge cover assembly.
Did the main body or anything else in it change?

Even funnier how I beat all those brands in the latest Scubalab test and git a Testers Choice for the D3 and Zenith...weird as heck, especially when you see that I don't advertise worth a darn.

And even funnier what a manufacturer says about ScubaLab when they listed favorably as opposed to when they are not.

---------- Post added June 15th, 2014 at 01:13 PM ----------

If he had problems with HPO seats after servicing the odds are 98.75% that he used the wrong assembly technique. We see quite a few techs that don't know how to assemble the reg without messing up the HP seat.... It is easy if you don't follow procedure.

Who trained the technician?

---------- Post added June 15th, 2014 at 01:28 PM ----------

For the record I am NOT bashing HOG/Edge regs or products. They are fine products. But, just like if you want to go to Home Depot and buy a drill you will find all sorts of options and price points. There is everything from a $30 Ryobi to a $300 Makita. That Ryobi might be a fine choice for your needs, I bought one once, burned it up pretty quick and upgraded to a Dewalt. Now that Ryobi was a fine drill, it just did not meet MY needs. You need to make the choice that best fits your needs. ScubaPro may not always be the answer, but the same can be said about Halcyon, HOG and sidemount diving.

We are all here to share our thoughts, feelings and experiences. And guess what, we are not going to always agree on everything and believe it or not that is a good thing. If I post something that you do not agree with - my personal email address is jeffh31903@gmail.com and my cell number is 484-894-7958. Feel free to get in touch with me, the welcome mat is always out.

My comments on Scubalab are pretty easy, in fact I have felt (and other brands including Scubapro in the past)that they have been pretty tranparantly pro their advertisers. It appears that trend has changed.

I have no idea who trained their tech...you didn't say who it was or what shop. Quite a few shops have decided they don't need training and others take and forget stuff. That is natural.

You've been busting on HOG for some time, thanks for deciding to stop.

And even funnier what a manufacturer says about ScubaLab when they listed favorably as opposed to when they are not.

---------- Post added June 15th, 2014 at 01:13 PM ----------

Who trained the technician?

---------- Post added June 15th, 2014 at 01:28 PM ----------

For the record I am NOT bashing HOG/Edge regs or products. They are fine products. But, just like if you want to go to Home Depot and buy a drill you will find all sorts of options and price points. There is everything from a $30 Ryobi to a $300 Makita. That Ryobi might be a fine choice for your needs, I bought one once, burned it up pretty quick and upgraded to a Dewalt. Now that Ryobi was a fine drill, it just did not meet MY needs. You need to make the choice that best fits your needs. ScubaPro may not always be the answer, but the same can be said about Halcyon, HOG and sidemount diving.

We are all here to share our thoughts, feelings and experiences. And guess what, we are not going to always agree on everything and believe it or not that is a good thing. If I post something that you do not agree with - my personal email address is jeffh31903@gmail.com and my cell number is 484-894-7958. Feel free to get in touch with me, the welcome mat is always out.

---------- Post added June 14th, 2014 at 07:57 PM ----------

---------- Post added June 14th, 2014 at 07:58 PM ----------

New material in the poppet, balance chamber and new design LP Seat, new face cover.

what issue is this review in? I see you've posted it on your race book page but it's too small to actually read. Cheers

July... In truth I was surprised to see that as a group the under $500 regs outdid the over $500 regs

they would be my replacement choice if I ever divested of the MK17/G250 sets I own.....

I'd be happy to take those crappy Scubapro regs off your hands, I wouldn't even charge you for my trouble. :eyebrow:

I merely express my opinions and experiences, sorry if they differ from yours. I will continue to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom