Cigarette Free Since 9/7/12!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm approaching hour 60 of being smoke free, and I must say, things are starting to taste weird!!! Also, as a present from my father, I get to take the Sept. 17th class for my OW Cert! I don't have to wait until Oct. 9th!!!

Congratulations Timothy!
Stay with it man! Don't cave in. It gets easier.
Once the acute physical withdrawl is over (in about a week or less) then it's all in your head. You can learn to shut off the longing for a fix just by diverting your thoughts to something else you have designated as way more important.
The addiction to nicotine never goes away, just remember that. Just be aware of the triggers and keep leverage on yourself to break that pattern.
I used to b a chewer (Copenhagen) and trust me chewing is way more addictive than smoking.

With your weight, try dumping carbs like all wheat, corn, potatoes and other starchy food products and sugars.
Many of us here at SB have gone the route of the Paleo style diet of a variety of meats and a array of vegetables and a few nuts.
There was a whole thread about it.

Before you take any diet advice though please consult with your doctor.

Anyway, conratulations again my friend!

Congratulations on quitting smoking. I stopped for a woman. It really does not matter WHY we stopped, just that we did. I am coming up a 5th anniversary I think (It might be a 4th though) and have never failed myself. I still get very strong urges at time but they are usually fast moving and easy enough to manage. I do not expect them to ever disappear entirely.

Good luck and stay strong.

good to hear your positive 60 hr report. keep up the good progress. you have only started to taste things differently. it keeps getting better

keep goin.. I found the hardest after meals, as my wife still smokes and that would be the first thing she did after eating

Once you get your first week in.. You will start to see the light

72 hours smoke free and all's well!!! I never noticed how salty different food were! Please keep up the support, it really does help. Every time I get that sudden craving, I come to this board, I think about the Oriskany, and I read all your messages. And, I know I can do it!

Tim, if you ever make it up to dive the Oriskany PM me! I'd gladly partner up with you for the dive. I've been on the Oriskany about 15 times so far and am still in awe every time I dive it.

And CONGRATS on your accomplishment so far! Keep going strong buddy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

Tim, if you ever make it up to dive the Oriskany PM me! I'd gladly partner up with you for the dive.

I will hold you to that! And, thank you. The Mighty O is my goal, my dream, my reason for wanting to learn to Scuba Dive! That, and finding gold somewhere in the waters!!! LOL :D

---------- Post Merged on September 12th, 2012 at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous Post was on September 11th, 2012 at 01:22 AM ----------

96 hours y'all...and guess what, seriously guess what?!?! I went 16 hours PATCH FREE! Seriously, I put on a nicotine patch before I went to bed last night at 11pm and when I woke up at 8am the patch fell off sometime in the middle of the night. So, I waited until 11pm tonight to re-patch and I made it the whole day, no patch, no cigarette, no nicotine, period!

I would have tried to go the whole night with out a patch, but the cravings were starting to get to me, I couldn't take it any more... so I patched up :(

You are past the roughest period. now do not let this time go to waist by lighting up again. How is the breathing. Easier i hope. The hacking will pass also in a few more days and you are done. you will nt be smoke free but you will be an ex-smoker. Good job....... soon you will be counting by days then weeks and then.........

I will hold you to that! And, thank you. The Mighty O is my goal, my dream, my reason for wanting to learn to Scuba Dive! That, and finding gold somewhere in the waters!!! LOL :D

---------- Post Merged on September 12th, 2012 at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous Post was on September 11th, 2012 at 01:22 AM ----------

96 hours y'all...and guess what, seriously guess what?!?! I went 16 hours PATCH FREE! Seriously, I put on a nicotine patch before I went to bed last night at 11pm and when I woke up at 8am the patch fell off sometime in the middle of the night. So, I waited until 11pm tonight to re-patch and I made it the whole day, no patch, no cigarette, no nicotine, period!

I would have tried to go the whole night with out a patch, but the cravings were starting to get to me, I couldn't take it any more... so I patched up :(

If the urge hits just remembr when you were a child and didn't need any of that stuff wether it be tobacco, alcohol, or any other substance.
You got along just fine and never thought about it because you didn't know about it.
You can do that now too.

Back
Top Bottom