Cigarette Free Since 9/7/12!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there Tim! Congratulations on making the decision to quit! I smoked for over 30 years and have now been off of them for 6.5. Sounded like you were a little angry with yourself for patching up the other night. DON"T BE! I tried quittinbg on my own so many different times. It was the patch that finally allowed me to go enough time without smoking that enabled me to develop this "new" habit of not smoking! I never made it through the whole regimine as after a few weeks, you find that you go many days and then look down and realize you forgot to put one on. Then you finally just go without. But man oh man, I do remember the side effect of those patches... The most VIVID dreams I have ever had!

Good luck and stay strong and commited. You'rer 29 years young! Take advantage of it!

Keith

Hourly reports are over. I will now simply state: Cigarette Free since September 7, 2012!!! Thank you all for the support, I needed it.

---------- Post Merged at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:10 AM ----------

Cigarette Free since September 7, 2012!!!

I am giving an update as requested through PM.

I am still not smoking. In fact, I am now 100% nicotine free! I'm off the patch.

Now, for the sad news. I will no longer be posting to these forums. After I went through all the trouble to get medically cleared to go scuba diving (as per my local shop's request), after I went through all the trouble to get custom gear made for me due to my size (local shop didn't have my sizes), after I shaved my head and beard to get proper mask fit, after I quit smoking after 15 years, AFTER the local shop signed me up for the classes, after I paid for the classes, AFTER I ALREADY FORKED OUT $500, my local shop calls me the day of my first class and told me, "sorry, you have asthma, we can't teach you. Please come in for a refund." Before I signed up and paid for the class, I had to get medically cleared. So, both my doctor AND my local shop knew of my asthma when they let me sign up and pay for the class, and now all of a sudden, they can't teach me.

So, I got a refund for the class, resold all the custom gear I bought for half of what I paid for it, shaved my beard that I have been working on for 2 years, (because it is damn near impossible for me to grow a beard, it grows slow as molasses and in patches). Only good thing that came out of this was the fact that I quit smoking after 15 years.

Goodbye!

give yourself 6 months and get your self re-evaluated, who knows what mayy come of it. if it ends up that all you can do is read about diving you will at least be able to do it while breathing easier.

congtrats again on your achievement.

I am giving an update as requested through PM.

I am still not smoking. In fact, I am now 100% nicotine free! I'm off the patch.

Now, for the sad news. I will no longer be posting to these forums. After I went through all the trouble to get medically cleared to go scuba diving (as per my local shop's request), after I went through all the trouble to get custom gear made for me due to my size (local shop didn't have my sizes), after I shaved my head and beard to get proper mask fit, after I quit smoking after 15 years, AFTER the local shop signed me up for the classes, after I paid for the classes, AFTER I ALREADY FORKED OUT $500, my local shop calls me the day of my first class and told me, "sorry, you have asthma, we can't teach you. Please come in for a refund." Before I signed up and paid for the class, I had to get medically cleared. So, both my doctor AND my local shop knew of my asthma when they let me sign up and pay for the class, and now all of a sudden, they can't teach me.

So, I got a refund for the class, resold all the custom gear I bought for half of what I paid for it, shaved my beard that I have been working on for 2 years, (because it is damn near impossible for me to grow a beard, it grows slow as molasses and in patches). Only good thing that came out of this was the fact that I quit smoking after 15 years.

Goodbye!

You gave up way too easily man, and I suspect "that" is the main reason for most things that you find yourself going through. I am not trying to be harsh, but you will be back smoking again, because you are used to giving up.

Get your dr to say if you can dive or not, it is really not the LDS concern as long as your DR has signed your sheet, you should be good to go. My wife suffers from asthma and a deviated septum, and she can dive with no issues. Well. no more issues than anyone else.

Noone said you were going to be diving 300 ft descents, I do not see any reason why you would not be able to dive a 40 foot reef now and then. DO NOT GIVE UP SO EASILY

I am pretty sure he said he was signed off by the Dr.

"After I went through all the trouble to get medically cleared to go scuba diving"

It sounded like the Dive shop turned him away even with his clearance.

And why, if you had really invested all that money... (believe me, I know) would you give up so easily? Sounds a bit fishy to me...

i quit scuba diving in 1980 because my smoke went out when i hit the water.i couldn't stand a 45 min. dive without burning one!!!!
quit on sept 11,2001
had to take up diving again...
pretty addictive personality!!!!!
best of luck
yaeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom