Aluminum backplate durability question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I'm currently diving a SS back-plate. Basic Halcyon Eclipse. I want a lighter option for warm water. Aluminum back-plate like the one from HOG looks like the best bet for me

I have a Halcyon alloy BP, no problems. Also have a few SS plates

Like-for-like (same size, design - excluding skeleton plates etc), the saving is only about 3#... to me that doesn't make much difference to my packing weight. In water, I can wear the alloy plate with a 3mm shorty (or less) & an AL80 without adding any extra weight, but I can also comfortably wear an SS plate without the extra 3# bothering me. If I'm wearing a 3mm steamer or thicker (temperate waters <26C), I need to add weight, which kinda defeats the purpose of using alloy in the first place (except you can just borrow a weight instead of lugging it around with you, but still only 3#ish)

In summary, you need to decide if shaving 3# (like-for-like SS vs alloy) from your travel or dive weight is really a worthwhile benefit. In hindsight for me it is not, and if people ask I would generally suggest they just go with SS (especially if, like you, they already have one)

YMMV

I have used kydex before and it has some interesting thermal characteristics. When cold, it can become quite brittle. When heated, it is rather malleable. I suspect that in the vast number of diving cases these thermal characteristics are not an issue, but in some, they may be.

Have you ever seen a Kydex back plate?

Kydex is enormously tough. Toughness is a measure of how a material reacts to loads. A tough material will deform, but not fail catastrophically. We have seen *zero* failures in our kydex plates.

Some earlier all plastic back plates were brittle, in large part due to failure to anneal the parts after thermoforming. Brittle parts are the opposite of tough, they can crack catastrophically.

DSS kydex plates are reinforced at all areas of load concentration with Stainless Steel overlays, riveted in place.

Kydex is widely used for gun holsters, kick panels in aircraft interiors, etc.

Back plates are not highly loaded. I routinely dive LP 85's and E-8 130's with kydex plates. Kydex plates are routinely used on Rebreathers too.

When a Stainless plate will overweight the diver Kydex is a practical and proven alternative.

Tobin

Concurrent thread about plastic backplates (including Kydex) going on here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/general-scuba-equipment-discussions/434842-plastic-backplate.html

Does anyone know what the weight savings is for a Kydex plate over a similar size aluminum plate? I mostly fly to go diving, so although I understand there are some advantages to shifting weight from a belt to the backplate, minimizing baggage weight is important to me.

To me the best way to lighten baggage is to use a lightweight duffle rather than a 12lb + rolling bag. There's 10 lbs right there. Cut back on toiletry quantity or other consumables. That's usually 5 lbs or more.

I'm just saying that many, many people make compromises (or spend a small fortune) to buy lightweight dive gear in order to save a bit of luggage weight when there are MUCH better ways to do it.

I routinely fly with a big duffle that has not only all my dive gear for single tank AND doubles (that's two wings and 3 full reg sets, and reels), and my clothes and gear, and I've never once gone over the 50 lb limit.

I have a Halcyon alloy BP, no problems. Also have a few SS plates

Like-for-like (same size, design - excluding skeleton plates etc), the saving is only about 3#... to me that doesn't make much difference to my packing weight. In water, I can wear the alloy plate with a 3mm shorty (or less) & an AL80 without adding any extra weight, but I can also comfortably wear an SS plate without the extra 3# bothering me. If I'm wearing a 3mm steamer or thicker (temperate waters <26C), I need to add weight, which kinda defeats the purpose of using alloy in the first place (except you can just borrow a weight instead of lugging it around with you, but still only 3#ish)

In summary, you need to decide if shaving 3# (like-for-like SS vs alloy) from your travel or dive weight is really a worthwhile benefit. In hindsight for me it is not, and if people ask I would generally suggest they just go with SS (especially if, like you, they already have one)

YMMV

For me it's less the packing weight and more the dive weight. I discovered in Belize a few weeks ago that by myself in a full 3mm suit I am negatively buoyant in salt water these days. Geared up I have no other weight on me than the bp and I sink like a rock. My preference is to be a close to neutral as possible, given that one needs to offset the aluminum tank's buoyancy change by the end of the dive.

I used an AL backplate on one of my earlier sidemount rigs. I wanted it 'flatter'. I stood on it. It flattened. :)

I doubt that would have happened with a SS backplate.

I have used kydex before and it has some interesting thermal characteristics. When cold, it can become quite brittle. When heated, it is rather malleable. I suspect that in the vast number of diving cases these thermal characteristics are not an issue, but in some, they may be.

DSS has produced and sold thousands of Kydex Back plates.

If it is cold enough to make kydex brittle the "water" will be white and crunchy...........

Kydex is a Thermoplastic It is that very property we exploit to thermoform the plates. i.e. heat up the sheet, form it into the desired shape and let cool.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom