Grand Cayman Cruise - dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Think we are settled on catching the bus over to SunDivers. Can't wait for July!

Please note, Off The Wall Divers is also off the dock at the Lobster Pot Dive Center. The three (3) operations have been partners at the LPDC since it was opened in 2008. The only change is the owner of OTWD (moi). OTWD quite often changes its' schedule to meet the time of the cruise ship. Thank you/Tom Shropshire/Off The Wall Divers

By the way, bgrif3fan, Tom S. and Off the Wall run an excellent dive op in George Town and have no trouble at all with 10 and 11-year-old divers. Right, Tom? My 10-year-old daughter has enjoyed diving with them.

What we have done is get off the ship in Georgetown, turn right and walk down the street to Eden Rock Dive Center. You can beach dive there and you have lockers to use. Afterwards walk back towards the cruise ship dock, but stop at Paradise Restaurant right on the shoreline. Great food and refreshment!

I know this is late but it might help to clarify the issue some. My understanding is anyone fully certified but under 12 years of age, is limited to a maximum depth of 40 feet (and dive with a parent, guardian or dive professional as a buddy). The 2 Tank boat dives offered under contract by Don Foster's Dive Cayman, both dives exceed that depth limit (meaning the bottom is deeper than 40 feet). Hence it is pretty difficult for them to accommodate divers under 12 years of age. Also an "unwritten" (but well known) rule refrains them from taking "regular reservations" from divers wishing to go on the daily (non cruise ship) dive boat. Carnival will not hesitate to "end the contract" if some how they found out. The cruise line can not keep any diver from booking so they resort to these tactics to stop the operators.
However something to consider is that Don Foster's offers a daily 2 tank dive. It is usually no crowded (except may be during Christmas season), most times I find 8 to 10 divers. Many of them residents who dive often. In fact, they have gone out in many instances with just two divers. Very safe,flexible and friendly crew friendly. I think they are underestimated but have been in business for over 30 years.

I know this is late but it might help to clarify the issue some. My understanding is anyone fully certified but under 12 years of age, is limited to a maximum depth of 40 feet (and dive with a parent, guardian or dive professional as a buddy). The 2 Tank boat dives offered under contract by Don Foster's Dive Cayman, both dives exceed that depth limit (meaning the bottom is deeper than 40 feet). Hence it is pretty difficult for them to accommodate divers under 12 years of age. Also an "unwritten" (but well known) rule refrains them from taking "regular reservations" from divers wishing to go on the daily (non cruise ship) dive boat. Carnival will not hesitate to "end the contract" if some how they found out. The cruise line can not keep any diver from booking so they resort to these tactics to stop the operators.
However something to consider is that Don Foster's offers a daily 2 tank dive. It is usually no crowded (except may be during Christmas season), most times I find 8 to 10 divers. Many of them residents who dive often. In fact, they have gone out in many instances with just two divers. Very safe,flexible and friendly crew friendly. I think they are underestimated but have been in business for over 30 years.

I also think Don Foster's does not always get the credit it deserves. Their afternoon dive boat will go out if ANYONE wants to go. I have had the whole boat to myself on an afternoon.

Sounds like you are getting some great tips and advice and you are should have a wonderful time. We are a diving family as well and I recall all to well some of the issues planning a dive and trip when my son was your son's age. You all will enjoy your trip and diving, whether it be some dives at Turtle Reef, Eden Rock or out with one of the ops mentioned. When my son was 15 and we were in GC 2 years ago, he enjoyed diving TR, ER and the Kittiwake. I actually think he enjoyed ER the most, after diving it once, he wanted to map out a route and take the lead on our next visit. It may not be the most pristine site but it is nice and particularly easy and fun for a family. Sitting up here in CT this morning enjoying another snowstorm, I can tell you they all sound great and I would be dive any of them todayif I were there now. Enjoy the trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom