Grand Cayman Cruise - dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diversteve did a wonderful job of giving you the best options. We oftentimes opt for renting vehicles from Andy's (on 7 Mile Beach - they pick up) and head up to the Cracked Conch. The mini wall bottoms out in about 60 ft towards the south and around 70 ft to the north IIRC. I think it's the best, easiest and cheapest diving on the island. Tanks are $10.00 and the food is good too. There's still plenty to see at 40 ft here. You do not need to make reservations...just show up! As far as things to see, I think it's a much better dive than Sunset House.

As far as things to see, I think it's a much better dive than Sunset House.
I definitely agree..but Sunset House is better than Eden Rock IMO also.

Don Foster's replied today "I am sorry but we are unable to take your booking. Our age cut off is 12 and, even though your son will be 12 2 days later, our liability insurance will not allow it. " So, we will be looking at some of the other options everyone has suggested. Just thought I would share their answer in case any one else encountered this situation and was looking for an answer here.

My 10-year-old daughter has dived several times with Don Foster's, so the restriction must be something Carnival is imposing on its own initiative. I would complain ...

How much time do you have? Turtle Reef at the Cracked Conch is an excellent suggestion. Check with Sundivers first just to make sure they have no problem with the age. The shore diving is an easy ladder in and you will enjoy the reef. Take in lunch while your there. The other suggestion is Eden Rock right in town. Nice shallow depths and great swim throughs. Walking distance to where you will be. It may be crowded but if you are taking a cruise crowds might not be an issue for you.

Don Foster's replied today "I am sorry but we are unable to take your booking. Our age cut off is 12 and, even though your son will be 12 2 days later, our liability insurance will not allow it. " So, we will be looking at some of the other options everyone has suggested. Just thought I would share their answer in case any one else encountered this situation and was looking for an answer here.

Hmmm. Well, I guess they are making a distinction between their insurance policy for cruise ship passengers and their insurance policy for locals. As I say, they have no problem with my 10-year-old daughter.

Spoke with Tom at Off the Wall. He was very helpful, called immediately after I sent my email and answered all my questions. We can schedule a boat dive with them, but I am a little nervous about the schedule. Planning to be off the cruise ship by 7:15 and on a dive boat at 7:45 seems like wishful thinking to me. Though he did say that they would pick us up at the port.
He recommended Sundivers as a good alternative and gave me a phone number for Olin. He said the depth would certainly be within our son's limit and it would be an easier dive (and a shore dive would be good for me because I tend to be seasick!) I love what I am reading about Turtle Reef, and the guy at the shop was very helpful. We think we would like to do the guided dive so we see all the best stuff out there. We could swim around on our own for less money, but we just wonder what we might miss.
So, now we have to figure out how to get there . . . it looks like we need a ride! 15-20 minute drive from port according to Google. What are the cabs like in Cayman? (I wouldn't venture a cab ride on Nassau, but they were actually pretty nice, and cheap, in Puerto Morelos, Mexico.)

Spoke with Tom at Off the Wall. He was very helpful, called immediately after I sent my email and answered all my questions. We can schedule a boat dive with them, but I am a little nervous about the schedule. Planning to be off the cruise ship by 7:15 and on a dive boat at 7:45 seems like wishful thinking to me. Though he did say that they would pick us up at the port.
He recommended Sundivers as a good alternative and gave me a phone number for Olin. He said the depth would certainly be within our son's limit and it would be an easier dive (and a shore dive would be good for me because I tend to be seasick!) I love what I am reading about Turtle Reef, and the guy at the shop was very helpful. We think we would like to do the guided dive so we see all the best stuff out there. We could swim around on our own for less money, but we just wonder what we might miss.
So, now we have to figure out how to get there . . . it looks like we need a ride! 15-20 minute drive from port according to Google. What are the cabs like in Cayman? (I wouldn't venture a cab ride on Nassau, but they were actually pretty nice, and cheap, in Puerto Morelos, Mexico.)
Taxies are quite reliable, however, the trip to Northwest Point might be quite pricy. Do some google searching for info. Cayman Activity Guide, Tripadvisor, etc. are excellent sources. Driving is pretty easy (although they drive on the wrong side down there). We always rent.

Andy's is an option for renting a car. They have a $60 cruise ship deal - free pickup also. Car Rental Grand Cayman, Car Rentals Cayman Islands, Rent a Car Their office is slightly north of town on West Bay (SMB) road and from there it's a straight shot up to Turtle Reef - you just stay on West Bay road, it changes to NW Point road and goes right by it.

There's also a bus - the #1 (yellow) or the #2 (lime green) go right by there. Grand Cayman's Public Bus Service
The bus terminal is on Edward Street, adjacent to the Public Library,
As you leave the cruise terminal, Edward is the 2nd street in. A couple hundred yards...

You could get a guide but it's a really easy entry dive if you're comfortable on your own. I think Olin partners with Happy Fish Divers - at least they guide there at night. In addition to the Tarpon and other stuff, look up occasionally, we saw about 25 Eagle Rays go streaking overhead once. And since the Turtle Farm is next door...

Here's video of the entry and dive:
Turtle Reef Scuba « iDive Global Locations

We dove Neptune divers. Casey runs a smooth operation planning on returning just to dive with her and her team.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom