Taxi Fare ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Know the rate, pay and then walk. What's to discuss?
I believe the discussion is about how to know the rate...??

Maybe I have just been very lucky, but when I have to take a taxi I generally know what the fare should be for my destination either because of prior experience or by asking someone who does know (like a local, not a taxi driver). When I get to where I am going I hand them the proper fare and simply get out of the car. I live here and for sure look like a gringa, but I choose to not play the game of asking the fare on the front end to avoid the temptation of inflating it. So far, it has worked out for me. I realize not everyone will be comfortable with this method, but is has always worked for me. I took a taxi just this morning from Chedraui to my house waaaay back on 135th and paid the driver 30 pesos. I know this is the price and it has been for a long time. He did not bat an eye as he took the money.
Before I got wise to doing it this way, meaning that I asked first, I was regularly quoted anywhere from 50 to 70 pesos to get to my house. I realize tourists come here not having a clue what the going rate is, so until someone can get their paws on a current rate sheet, my advice is to ask around what it should cost from X to Y and then get in the cab like you know exactly what the fare should be - and when you arrive pay it with no discussion and walk away.

So what is the standard fare from Mega to La Choza for instance?

At the risk of looking like I'm picking nits here, standard fare should read:

correct fare
But you still can't answer the question? So what do you do if you underpay and have therefore committed a crime by walking away? Sit in jail until it can all be worked out? Most of us go to Cozumel to dive and not sit in jail, but whatever floats your boat. (Actually I'd be more worried about extrajudicial retaliation by the taxi mafia than sitting in jail, i.e. being run down when crossing the street, or next time you get in a cab driven by the friend of the cabbie you stiffed you end up in the middle of the island with a long walk back, or most likely, waking up to a sawn-off burro head in your bed.)

Some of you much visit a different Cozumel than I. I've never had the first problem with anyone there. Sure they will try to inflate the price but just shake your head and turn to walk away. If the price is inflated I guarantee he'll drop to the correct. At least they always have for me. Of course they all call me Pancho Villa anyway because of my long mustache. Maybe they think I'm a local.

But you still can't answer the question? So what do you do if you underpay and have therefore committed a crime by walking away? Sit in jail until it can all be worked out? Most of us go to Cozumel to dive and not sit in jail, but whatever floats your boat. (Actually I'd be more worried about extrajudicial retaliation by the taxi mafia than sitting in jail, i.e. being run down when crossing the street, or next time you get in a cab driven by the friend of the cabbie you stiffed you end up in the middle of the island with a long walk back, or most likely, waking up to a sawn-off burro head in your bed.)

I must profusely apologize if it looked/sounded like I was advocating underpaying.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I advocated knowing what the correct fare was, and then paying said fare, without further conversation on the matter.

Trust me, if I was in possession of the current rate sheet and zone map, I would have posted it, so no, I can't answer the question any more clearly than anyone else, but I'm sure Christi will get that email within the next day or so.

At the risk of looking like I'm picking nits here, standard fare should read:

correct fare

Ah yes, this is the Cozumel forum...OK..... Let me reword this.... Does anyone have an idea what the standard fare is from La Choza to Mega ????

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom