Buy my own tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been certified since '91 but have always rented tanks. Since I've been doing mostly free diving the past 10 years, I haven't needed a tank but now I'm getting back into SCUBA and it seems economically viable to buy my own tank and refill it vs renting. I've always rented aluminum tanks, never used a steel tank. What are your thoughts on this, please?

The economics of it will depend upon how much diving you will actually be doing and how long you intend to stay down. the more you dive the more sense it will make to own your own tank. if doing 2 dives a day off a boat that might mean 2 tanks. If you are going to be having long bottom times then you might go with bigger than 80's. You might consider steel tanks if weight is not an issue or you want to be able to remove some lead from your belt. Steel tanks are considerably more expense and most people start off with aluminum 80's untill they develop the need for something different. Personally, I went to steel 120's for both the weight and the added capacity (after I sold my alum 80's of course)

I own my tanks, and I fact have my original tanks from the 1970's, in addition to an additional five I've picked up over time.

The primary advantage to owning your tanks is convenience. You can dive on the spur of the moment, and do not need to rush out to the dive shop to rent and return tanks.

The primary disadvantage is the "cost of ownership"... you'll need to buy the tanks (expensive initial investment), and pay for annual visual inspection and periodic (every 5 years) hydro-testing. The good news is it should be a one-time purchase, since tanks will last forever as long as you take minimal care of them.

Where I live, the cost difference between a tank fill and a rental is only $2. So it takes a lot of dives per year to come out ahead financially by owning my own tanks.

But, the ability to go diving on a moment's notice is well worth it for me, and I'm very glad I own my tanks.

Also, I service my own regulators, and having clean compressed air at 3,000 psi to test them is a must...

Best wishes.

For me the biggest plus of owning my own tanks is convenience as well. Not only can I dive on a moment's notice not to have to rent tanks from the LDS, but I don't have to leave work right at 5 to make it to the LDS to return them.

At ~$175 apiece for aluminum 80's, it was a no brainer for me to buy a pair.

I would agree that it is mostly the convenience, especially if you are 50 miles from the shop like me. As said, the difference in air and rental costs is usually 2-3$. I had a deal with a FL shop once that I could rent a tank, use it and return it, then take another full one to the condo and keep it there. Or take the empty one back to the condo after the dive and return it when I pick up another full one next week or two. The idea being only one stop at the shop needed. This was over a 3 month period. I left ID with them. If a shop gets to know you they may go for that. Last trip south I brought my own, as some sites weren't in the direction of the shop. I bought 2 1993 AL 80s on Kijiji for $75 (for the two). No problem with hydros, viz. Shop around if you want to buy. I had a steel 120 for extra bottom time but too heavy for an old guy to haul around forever on his back. Now have a steel 72. Always liked the steel buoyancy.

Last edited:
Once, while working at an LDS. A customer returned two tanks, that she had for over two years. The shop charged her nothing.
while it may be unscrupulous, that might be a more cost effective means of getting tanks? Lol, I am only kidding.

I've been certified since '91 but have always rented tanks. Since I've been doing mostly free diving the past 10 years, I haven't needed a tank but now I'm getting back into SCUBA and it seems economically viable to buy my own tank and refill it vs renting. I've always rented aluminum tanks, never used a steel tank. What are your thoughts on this, please?

Between availability, logistics and having what you want you don't need to make that many dives per year to make ownership worthwhile. It gets into maore of a calculus problem when you have a dozen of different forms. You can do your own math with local rental, fill, VIP and hydro every 5 years) rates.

Steel is a very nice way to go especially if being lighter on your feet is desirable or if you are looking for more that 80 cubic feet per cylinder. Some details here.

Also where servicability of aluminum is coming into question (for no good technical reason) after 20 years, steel is essentially a forever cylinder.

Pete

Last edited:
Another thing to think about is how you dive. If you dive off a boat often the operator will just add $5 per tank which is about the same as fill and no hassle returning the tanks. If you dive on your own then it may make sense to have your own tanks filled and ready to dive. Another reason is air consumption which as a free diver I don't think you will have a problem with but you may want a larger capacity tank.

For me it finally came down to having a tank that fit my statute. I do not get to dive often enough to make ownership economical but it's worth it to have the steels. The shorter HP 80 tanks are worth their weight in gold to me (figuratively speaking of course. :D ).

I also love the buoyancy characteristics of the steels.

The cost of a scuba tank is calculated like that of a car. You don't worry about what it cost, you worry about how much it'll depreciate.

For example, lets say I buy a used LP95 for $150. Over 5 years I pay $20 for hydro and $100 for VIPs ( really $75 since the other $25 are provided fills ). Finally I sell the tank for $125. My cost over 5 years was $25 in depreciation and $95 in maintenance. That's $120. If I can get a fill for $2 cheaper then a rental that's 60 dives over 5 years that I have to make to break even.

That's only 1 dive a month to break even.

Let's say you buy 2 tanks so you can do 2 dives in one day. That's 2 dives per month.

If you can't average 2 local dives per month, well, you aren't a diver IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom