Cold water diving is a PITA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cold water diving; when its all you have what can you do? Been diving New England all my life and its been worth the all work. Especially these days when gearing up is really a chore with arthrits and rotator cuff repairs and the other aches and pains that come with getting old. Don't know how many dives I have left in me but as long as I can get to the water I'll be diving in it regardless of the temp!

For all of you brave souls who keep claiming that any water above 40 degree is "warm," let me tell you that I'm freezing my tushie off here in the Florida caves. The water is about 68 degrees, and I'm wearing 14 mm of rubber. I end up literally shaking at the end of the second dive. I don't care what anybody says about water temperatures and diver expertise--despite the supposed drawback of being tropically trained, I'm having zero (really zero) trouble with trim, buoyancy, propulsion, and even brand new gear that I'm getting used to in a brand-new environment learning brand-new skills. The thing that's killing me is this COLD WATER.

For all of you brave souls who keep claiming that any water above 40 degree is "warm," let me tell you that I'm freezing my tushie off here in the Florida caves. The water is about 68 degrees, and I'm wearing 14 mm of rubber. I end up literally shaking at the end of the second dive. I don't care what anybody says about water temperatures and diver expertise--despite the supposed drawback of being tropically trained, I'm having zero (really zero) trouble with trim, buoyancy, propulsion, and even brand new gear that I'm getting used to in a brand-new environment learning brand-new skills. The thing that's killing me is this COLD WATER.
You need a drysuit! No way would I be diving that wet for long dives like that!

I've dived in very cold water, from 40 to 50F, only a few times, and only when was in my 20s and 30s, on Northeast US wrecks. Let me tell you it was COLD. I wore half inch and 3/4 inch suits (before metric sizing here) and was shaking badly on the ascent line and even more on deck. So was everyone else. Back then, it was much easier to laugh it off.

I simply do not dive anything colder than the upper 60F anymore. Not Ever. I try to keep my body fat way down, and at a reasonably trim and conditioned 71 years old I can't handle it well. I prefer low to mid 70F and up. My pals from local diving groups (most are between 20 to mid 30s and on the fat side) poke fun at me pointing out that we get water that warm locally only in August and September, maybe on exceptional days in late July early October, and then only above the thermocline.

Last year in August I dived a shallow wreck and hit the thermocline at 50 feet. Sweet God. I shot up out of there as if I'd seen Satan swimming toward me with a class of Zombie Certification students.

Of course you are shaking after the second dive in 68F water. We all know how quickly body heat is lost in water, and the 30 degree difference between 68 and 98.6 is substantial. I have no desire to buy a dry suit. I don't even like looking at cold water. When it's too cold for my shallow local inlet and jetty dives here in NJ I get on a plane, and fly to places where, as in that great song, "the weather suits my clothes". I'm fortunate that I still can do that a couple of times each year and that the TSA has not killed me yet, but one does what one can, and unless a total fool, avoids what one cannot do.

For all of you brave souls who keep claiming that any water above 40 degree is "warm," let me tell you that I'm freezing my tushie off here in the Florida caves. The water is about 68 degrees, and I'm wearing 14 mm of rubber. I end up literally shaking at the end of the second dive. I don't care what anybody says about water temperatures and diver expertise--despite the supposed drawback of being tropically trained, I'm having zero (really zero) trouble with trim, buoyancy, propulsion, and even brand new gear that I'm getting used to in a brand-new environment learning brand-new skills. The thing that's killing me is this COLD WATER.[/QUOTE
]
I am sure it has a lot to do with where you are from. People from warm or hot climates have a much harder time adjusting to the cold much like people from colder climates have a tough time adjusting to the heat. I have been quite comfortable diving in Cozumel in a t-shirt and shorts while divers from places like Arizona have been cold in 5mm wetsuits with a hooded vest. I am off to Newfoundland on Saturday which is probably my favourite place to dive and I am hoping it is in the balmy 40's and not the low 30's that I have experienced before.

Hopefully someone can help me out :)

I finally bought my own wetsuit, a 7mm Pinnacle cruiser. On my first dive in Carmel today, I was comfortable (though not quite as warm as the farmer john rentals I used to wear) at 30-40 ft. At 50 ft the cold became distracting, and after a few minutes at 60 ft I decided to head back to the surface. Not positive on the temperature at that depth, but I'm guessing high 40s.

So, question is: what's the best way to layer a 7mm one piece if I want to dive year round without catchin' the shivers? (Going dry isn't a financial option). The suit is too tight on me to fit a 7mm hooded vest UNDER it, and after searching on the forum it seems many people don't think the vest OVER a wetsuit has much benefit. Is a hooded step-in vest my best bet? How much warmer is the combo compared to a one piece 7mm? I know it sounds crazy, but I was thinking of also maybe trying a farmer john jacket a size or two bigger over my one piece, for 14mm chest and arms. Would this be even warmer than the hooded-step in? Extra lead and mobility isn't much of a concern to me.

A hooded vest over the wetsuit would be my preference since that is the cheapest, but dunno how effective it would be.

I would say that step in vest or farmer john jacket are your best bets. I doubt a hooded vest on the outside will work. I do recommend making sure your Pinnacle fits perfectly and has dams or something to prevent water flushing at the ankles, wrists, and neck. I dive in Norcal too andhave a Cressi Lontra which is a great suit, but since I wear a hooded vest under it, the neck seal isn't so great so I get some water exchange. Perhaps you might go down to Otter Works and see what they say about optimizing your suit for fit and warmth. And I know this isn't what you want to here, but if a well fitted 7mm and step/farmer john doesn't do it, the only option left is a drysuit. I suggest hanging around here or ebay and getting a cheap one. The sizing on the whites fusion suits are very generous which can help buying used.

68F was is not warm at all, especially combine with long dive time, no direct sunlight to warm up. And no amount of wetsuit can help the chill in SI especially with wind.

What triggered me to get a drysuit was a boat dive in Monterey. I thought underwater really isn't too bad, but SI in the bay with wind blowing, I could barely hang on the the 2nd dive. That was during my AOW. If not for the drysuit, I would have quit diving at home already.

put a core warmer under a low compassion simi dry. use a farmer john cut off just over the knee pads make sure the seals are the 100% tuck in ones they will hold the water in the low compression neoprine will give you 2 to 3 times more instillation at depth . thats 14mm with 0 water exchange!!!!!!

---------- Post added June 25th, 2013 at 09:53 PM ----------

put a coaches jacket on

Back
Top Bottom