Wrist computer for Tech diving..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have a Shearwater, (Predator), I got on recomendation from a mate, and with my failing eyesight it is great, but, I was disappointed to find out it is not realy suited to Rec diving, (no safety stop or count down), and for rec diving it is ultra conservative when trying to do a dive plan. Shearwaters view is that as it is only a recommended stop and not a mandatory stop, they do not want to tell you how to dive, they also said I could just stop at 5 Mt and watch the time. I played with the GF, and found that 30/95 gave me the same dive times as the PADI RDP. But as I do not know enough about what affect this could have I put it back to the default 30/85. I wish there was an upgrade to fully allow Rec diving.

If you don't understand what the settings do, you're begging to get bent. Do some reading or buy a computer that will think for you. Gradient Factors

I also have a Shearwater, (Predator), I got on recomendation from a mate, and with my failing eyesight it is great, but, I was disappointed to find out it is not realy suited to Rec diving, (no safety stop or count down), and for rec diving it is ultra conservative when trying to do a dive plan. Shearwaters view is that as it is only a recommended stop and not a mandatory stop, they do not want to tell you how to dive, they also said I could just stop at 5 Mt and watch the time. I played with the GF, and found that 30/95 gave me the same dive times as the PADI RDP. But as I do not know enough about what affect this could have I put it back to the default 30/85. I wish there was an upgrade to fully allow Rec diving.

Welcome to the board. I would like to know what characteristics you are seeing that makes it ultra conservative. I am guessing the NDL?

As for the 3 minute safety stop - yep it aint there. Why because a 3 minute safety stop is a recommended stop and not a mandatory stop - that is not just Sherwater's viewpoint but the diving industry's viewpoint through out the world, including DAN. Now that is not to say that it would not be a nice optional feature. But on the other hand it aint that hard to look at the time an know that if the BT is at 57 minutes that at 61 minutes the 3 minute stop is completed (Yes, 3 minute not 4 minute).

I'm going to jump in and make a simple comment and I hope that no body get me wrong:
1. A computer is a tool.
2. A computer doesn't think for you.
3. The best computer that you have is your brain, use it.
4. The best advice anyone can give you... is: study and apply what you learn.

Hi, Scruffy1, Welcome to ScubaBoard! :wavey:

By the way, you've picked a 2 year old thread to jump on. There's been nice new models that have come out since this thread started, and there is a new "something" Shearwater is going to spring on us, soon . . . the NERD!

Well what I'm saying is that you should know, what algorithm is best for you or how to overlap or trick your current computer or combine differents approaches (or theories) to decompression safety (according with the circumstances). Also there are methodologies to do deco on the fly, etc.
It is not an exact science, some times what work for one individual "or circumstance" doesn't work for others... :wink: Don't you agree?
So use your brain, is a pretty good advice!
Just for the sake of commenting an anecdote, when I started doing deco I used the original Zplan by Will Smithers. Some times you did take a coffee during the calculation to let the time pass!
...And my statement was, don't get me wrong

Back
Top Bottom