Smoker :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am pretty lucky in that the waters around here are Mediterranean so they never get too cold (if they do I will complain to the Tourist Board). I will keep you all posted on my progress and post a picture of a wreck off Gibraltar where the visibility is about 2 inches I would imagine. If there isn't a wreck there, there will be soon!

Thanks.

Hi,

I am 46 years old and have smoked for many years. Not too many, but still....

Can I realistically start scuba diving as if my understanding is correct, my lung capacity might not be able to handle the air and the excess pressure caused by diving. I would really love to give this a go as my 12 years old is very excited about going with his Dad.

Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated (apart from the obvious :)

I have many questions but will drip them in one by one.

Thanks in advance

Richard
As already noted, there are divers that smoke. There are also divers that hate smokers. If you do a search on here you should be able to find some threads about smoking etiquette on a dive boat.

Giffenk,

Thanks. its a pretty disgusting habit but thankfully I am 7 days in and haven't lost my temper yet...I wouldn't smoke around people who didn't like it, and they are getting more and more. No doubt I will be one too very soon.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2014 at 03:29 PM ----------

Holy Crap!
This forum is immense!

I know a lot of divers who are smokers, but less than in the past. What better time to quit? I haven't had a cigarette since 1981. By the way, May 1, 2013 I was diagnosed with lung cancer, and am still treating. Best advice I can give- stop smoking.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks Dennis and I am already 7 days in to the stop. I hope the treatment works for you. I saw a quite remarkable docu-film a few weeks ago about the power of the mind. You may have seen it, its called the Secret. If you haven't watched it, have a look. Stranger things have happened. Thanks for the advice.
Richard

When I started diving ~6 years ago I was an obese 30 yr smoker at age 54. My subsequent obsession with diving gave me the kick to change. Now have both my daughters diving with me, smoke free 4 yrs and better shape than when I worked construction in my 20s. Looking forward to a long healthy retirement with lots of time underwater.

Knock on wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I started diving ~6 years ago I was an obese 30 yr smoker at age 54. My subsequent obsession with diving gave me the kick to change. Now have both my daughters diving with me, smoke free 4 yrs and better shape than when I worked construction in my 20s. Looking forward to a long healthy retirement with lots of time underwater.

Knock on wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a great incentive to know someone has been down this road. Thank you for letting me know
Richard

Thanks everyone,

I really appreciate the replies. I have always been a bit hesitant of diving (a rather strange experience a few years ago) but my sons enthusiasm is beginning to rub off on me and hence the decision to learn

I have been off the smokes for a week and I am doing it for all the reasons. I am presuming that everything will be easier from this point on (I have noticed already). Physically I am fit, the right weight and can run about 5K before boredom sets in. If I need advice about equipment, cost etc, should I post it on a new thread?

Really appreciate the replies so far.

Kudos to you! Its hard but its the best thing you can do, both for you and your son's health but also as a role model to your son.

Do not get discouraged if you actually notice you cough more for the next few weeks. This happens in some when they quit smoking and the cilia of the lungs start functioning again and cleaning out the lungs.

I just wanted to pitch in a congrats on quitting smoking. It is a very difficult thing to do and will continue to be for quite a long time. Stick with it, though. You indeed do have the support of all of us here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom