Cozumel on the cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shirtz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi all, been reading and enjoying posts here for a while now. heading to cozumel with my girlfriend end of january and wondering what was the best place to stay for a budget traveler. We are both fine with roughing it and hostels. All the recommendations here seem to be on AI resports.

Any one know of a good hostel with a good dive op incorporated or close by?

thanks, hopefully see some of you soon :)

matt

Hi Matt. I live here in Cozumel so don't know too much about hostels but if you do a Google search I found this one

Cozumel Hostel Lodging Accommodation Alternative Amigos!

There is also one on Ave 10 that I have walked by that is centrally located. There are also hotels that are cheap. Did you try Aqua Safari. They are located right on the water and have rooms on top of their dive shop.

Betty

hi all, been reading and enjoying posts here for a while now. heading to cozumel with my girlfriend end of january and wondering what was the best place to stay for a budget traveler. We are both fine with roughing it and hostels. All the recommendations here seem to be on AI resports.

Any one know of a good hostel with a good dive op incorporated or close by?

thanks, hopefully see some of you soon :)

matt

In addition to the hostel, there are quite a few small, family-run budget hotels in town. It was maybe two years ago that we spent a couple of days at the Hotel Mary Carmen about half a block off the main square. I think it was about $30-35 a night (rates posted outside the hotel), ac, wi-fi, enough hot water, nice courtyard full of well-fed tortoises, cable tv, ok rooms with a bit of charm except for threadbare sheets. English not really spoken. Others may be more or less nice for the $$. Plenty of dive shops nearby, though I don't know if any cheapish ones actually pick up from the downtown pier, but it would make sense if Aqua Safari does. Some, if not, may make arrangements to get you to the caleta. If you end up having to pay for a cab to the caleta every day, that would really start to add up, so shop carefully.

Stayed at the big fish dive hostel back in September. It is deff not all that close to the dive boats depending on where they are leaving from, it was a good 45min walk from there down to where scuba Mau and papa hogs are located

Did you try Aqua Safari. They are located right on the water and have rooms on top of their dive shop.

The little hotel over Aqua Safari is the Safari Inn. I haven't stayed at the Inn, but have been diving with Aqua Safari on two separate trips. Really enjoyed diving with them.

While there are lots of dive shop OFFICES located in town (AFAIK however none directly associated with hostels), there are no cheap dive ops that pick up in town at the former Aldora pier. Aqua Safari's pier is for AS use only...no other dive boats. You MAY be able to make arrangements with the shop for transport to the boat harbour they depart from but ask this question up front and make sure you get a clear answer. Or you are looking at an additional $20/day cab fare. Dive Paradise is not the cheapest nor is it the most expensive op and it runs out of the Barracuda...again not the least expensive hotel in town but not the most expensive. The plus is that they are on the waterfront and the bar there is a hopping place for cruise ship crew in the daytime.

While there are lots of dive shop OFFICES located in town (AFAIK however none directly associated with hostels), there are no cheap dive ops that pick up in town at the former Aldora pier. Aqua Safari's pier is for AS use only...no other dive boats. You MAY be able to make arrangements with the shop for transport to the boat harbour they depart from but ask this question up front and make sure you get a clear answer. Or you are looking at an additional $20/day cab fare. Dive Paradise is not the cheapest nor is it the most expensive op and it runs out of the Barracuda...again not the least expensive hotel in town but not the most expensive. The plus is that they are on the waterfront and the bar there is a hopping place for cruise ship crew in the daytime.

By the way, are other dive ops (other than Dive Paradise, that is) still able to pick up customers at the Hotel Barracuda pier? If I recall, there was talk of dive ops changing this practice because of new pier use fees being imposed. My wife and I being thrifty types ourselves, we have enjoyed the economical but very nice Coral Reef Inn and thought it was a fair tradeoff having to walk the five or six blocks to the Barracuda pier to get picked up each day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom