Looks like Frances is on the way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
Would anyone like to comment on the effectiveness of taping ones windows to prevent glass shattering? I know it is no kind of structural protection to the window and will provide no extra support if a direct hit is taken from debris etc, but they used to tape up their windows in the war to prevent them shattering and spraying glass inside - wondering if this is more an old wives tale type of thing. Of course plywood boards would be great, but they are gold dust around here at the moment, so what alternatives are there??? I have cardboard and some plastic to repair and blown windows after the fact - other than the weak windows, the house seems pretty bombprood, but this storm is one very big bomb!!!

ok I think about it this way. Taping windows like you said is to try and keep little pieces of glass flying into your house if the windows break. I much rather have little pieces of glass flying at me rather than large intact shards that could slice off an arm. Cuz that is what the tape does, keeps the glass in large pieces, which I think would cause more harm.

As far as plywood over the windows. Hurricane strength winds can blow a 2x4 block of wood straight thru plywood and the window. Do you really think that a think piece of plywood will help that much. Maybe a little but it is not 100%.

We have metal shutters we drill over the windows here.

Also make sure you have pleanty of beer, etc, cuz in a state of emergency it is state law that the state can hault the sale of alcohol. So stock up now. :wink:

Taping windows just cases them to fly around in huge chunks instead of shattering, it doesn't hold them together.

We have plenty of supplies here, that's for sure :D

Ben

simbrooks:
Back to work, and stay there all weekend long!! :wink:

I am wondering with this stalled front over GA, that doesnt want to help pull the hurricane up the east coast, whether it will now force it more westerly once it gains real influence, sending it along SR60 or SR70 as at least two of the models show or something like that rather than up the turnpike (as the current path seems to show)??? Who has a coin we can toss? :wink:

Would anyone like to comment on the effectiveness of taping ones windows to prevent glass shattering? I know it is no kind of structural protection to the window and will provide no extra support if a direct hit is taken from debris etc, but they used to tape up their windows in the war to prevent them shattering and spraying glass inside - wondering if this is more an old wives tale type of thing. Of course plywood boards would be great, but they are gold dust around here at the moment, so what alternatives are there??? I have cardboard and some plastic to repair and blown windows after the fact - other than the weak windows, the house seems pretty bombprood, but this storm is one very big bomb!!!

Well according to Brian Norcross it's worse to tape them because if the window is going to break under the wind it's better or rather less dangerous to have small bits of glass flying in the room than big chunks taped together.

OneBrightGator:
We have plenty of supplies here, that's for sure :D
Thats partly due to there being a huge population here in Orlando and they were only just starting to restock after being cleared out in preparation and repair work from the last one. :wink:

Still not 100% sure whether i would prefer little bits of glass that you cant see or larger chunks flying around. I intend to be in a different part of the house to where the most windows are anyway or possibly in another house altogether - hence just thinking of clean up - easier with large chunks than millions of shards. This doesnt mean i am not considering the arguements stated above, just still pondering over it myself!

I think i read a FredT post somewhere regarding a 5/8" plywood board being able to stop a 2x4 plank going 150mph or something like that (however i would not like to be the first one to test that theory) - but alas i dont have any plywood anyway - that ran out a few days ago around here, so its not an option!

I have a site bookmarked at work, (while riding out the LAST hurricane) that did testing on building materials. I forget what college it was, but they had the 200 mph cannon that does all the testing. They showed what did and DIDN'T survive or stop the 2x4 missile. 5/8 inch plywood both single and composite panels did, but there was cracking and splitting of the board. As this was more for tornado than hurricane winds it was sufficient for Florida standards. Hence our 200 MPH windload standard. Now let's consider two things...
1) where the testing occured this was for tornado standards which can and do throw projectiles in excess of 200 MPH. Hurricanes typically throw objects at their wind speed although gusting does raise that threat. Cat 5 of 155 has previously registered gusts at 200-210 MPH which will NOT stop that board (as the test was at 150mph.) The site stated that the board failed the test at 155.
2) Yes a one inch thick panel survived the 175 MPH test but this is just plywood stopping plywood. That pine or oak tree in your front yard has CRUSHING mass that plywood will NOT stop if the tree falls. It also will not stop anything with a mass GREATER than a 2x4x8, such as a flying car, neighbor's steel park bench, section of flying wall,... cows. You get the idea. Now the fact that trailers are even ALLOWED to be built in Florida absolutely amazes me. That's a whole new discussion on its own though.
Yer better living in a tent during a hurricane. at least the tent can be packed and moved quickly!

Tree falling/crushing you are even more completely in the "lap of the gods" so to speak, i looked around and saw nothing within striking range of our house - now the car, that is another thing.

Unless my landlord comes along with something great to protect the place, i am hoping my crossed fingers will be enough of a deterant to that big bad wind and whatever it throws at me - i hope you are all staying safe too! :wink:

BTW, what thoughts on the next cane coming through??? Two more waves following nice and close in the slipstream behind Frances to give another dose - what are the odds of 4 canes hitting central FL in one year?? I would check those out before making huge repairs and them only being temporary or chopping yet more stuff into further debris/potential missiles!

I was over in Miami & FLL on business this week and high tailed it home to Ft Myers last night - after going thru Charley - I know what you all are going thru. I work for 2 resorts in Naples and we sold out our remaining inventory yesterday in less than 3 hours! Calls are flooding in with people desperate to get shelter on the West Coast and as of now no oe has rooms left! As with Charley, my offer still stands we have space to crash at our home, pets and kids are welcome as well.

Good Luck to everyone!

Hello to all and especially to my fellow FL Conch Divers! I've read some of the post's on this thread and thanks for the tips and instructions. Rene and Jenny Kudos to you for opening your homes to those who might need them!

As a survivor of Andrew I can tell you this one worries me very much. I recall the aftermath the desolation and the feeling of having been foresaken. I remember not recognizing the neighborhoods, the looters as well as people running around realizing they have lost all and worst, not knowing what will happen next. Today's technology and warning drills have improved but the feeling still remains. I've lived in Fl all my life and I can even smell the weather now and I really have a bad feeling about this one wherever Frances falls it will be felt and heard for miles much more than Andrew was. I hope we all take caution and apply safety proceedures and do not ignore the reports which may save your life.

Be safe, and take care...

The basic standing orders at my place are a Category 3 or below we board up and hang on. Local hurricane evacuation shelters are ALL DOWNHILL from my place due to judicious planning when I was looking for a house. The east side of the the main eye wall of Camille (230+ MPH winds) passed over my place, and it's still there. A 3 or below is primarily an annoyance due to the boarding up and through the aftermath.

OTOH Any storm of Category 4 or larger my brother in NW Oklahoma is going to develop a sick dog we need to help nurse for the next month or so.

Those in the direct eye wall path of this one may want to consider a couple weeks long road trip to AR or MO both to get out of the way, and to get out of the aftermath. The Ozarks are pretty this time of year! :eyebrow:

FT

Know what the plywood is good for? Putting over the holes in your roof from the stuff thats blowing about. :D

I use it for the 8'x8' glass sliders we have (4 of them). I'm not so much worried about the plywood surviving, but slowing down things which may be flying. Course, right now, if the storm comes this way with any force, we're screwed.. the whole area is STILL littered with stacks of broken tree debris that was cut up and dilligently placed road side for removal.

I was thinkin of stacking a cord of wood up in front of each door... that would hold back flying stuff :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom