After Open Water Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and and counting down the days until my open water course starts and one thing I can't decide is what to do after I finish the course? I have so many options like getting my own equipment (bcd, wetsuit, ect.), or taking another course, going on a trip, or just chill and rent gear; but certainly can't do all of them right away.

Maybe it will become more clear after I learn a bit more, but I just wanted to know what all you guys did when you finished your OW course?

Go diving. Do as much local diving as you can. Start with rental gear, try different rental gear as you do you research on the gear that is right for you before you invest in gear.

My personal opinion is to do what ever gets you back in the water quickest. I would lean towards a dive trip where you could relax and gain experience with the skills from the OW course. The key being learning to be relaxed in the water and refining your bouancy, trim and breathing, which normally comes with experience. The initial gear being mask and fins (usually acquired during the OW) and then a wetsuit.

Last edited:
What I did:
Bought most everything used during the course (including tank), except wetsuit. Was certified in Canada in Nov.
Did my first dives in Jan. in Springs on FL panhandle after buying wetsuit there. Did first boat dives there most over 75 feet, breaking the rules. Found a buddy back here and did a lot of easy shore dives with him. Then proceeded with AOW.... etc. the PADI course routine. Didn't practise the skills learned in the pool until I took the DM course 5 years later. Did review them by re-reading the manual(s) though.

What I would advise: As others said, dive as soon and as much as possible. Pretty much regardless of where.
If possible, find a buddy who is experienced--ideally a certified Rescue Diver or above. Practise the skills you learned in the pool right away and often. Do as I say...not as I did.

haha well noted! And the temptation of buying used on ebay or something is there, so once I know how to tell if it is good or not maybe I'll save myself a few bucks :D

Dive, dive, dive. There is no substitute for time underwater. Do only dives that you are very comfortable doing, don't let a more experienced buddy talk you into trust-me dives beyond your comfort level. And yes, finding a more experienced buddy who may act as an informal mentor would be great. But if you can't get this right away, try finding s local group, perhaps through a dive shop, that goes out on easy dives and join them. Then the rest will fall into place.

I think the answer depends on a number of individual factors:

1. How content you are with your comfort and competence after qualification as an Open Water diver? Further training might be a suitable choice if you still felt that you could make improvements in your foundational skills that would improve your enjoyment and/or safety in diving. Do make sure that YOU are happy with the level you reach on your Open Water course...qualification should be joint student/instructor decision. This is about doing more training at your current level - not training to increase your level of diving.

2. Access to quality rental equipment after qualification as an Open Water diver?? This is pretty obvious, but if you cannot rent decent equipment, then you won't be able to dive. So, investing in equipment might be something you need to do. This depends on your locale and the diving industry there. There are benefits to owning your own gear - like familiarity, comfort and reliability. Do a lot of research if buying scuba kit.

3. Access to suitable diving opportunities in your local area? Again, this is very location dependent. Do you enjoy the diving in your local area, or will you reserve your diving only for occasional trips/vacations to more comfortable diving destinations? Forcing yourself to dive in conditions you might not enjoy can be counter-productive to your enjoyment of diving. There's nothing wrong with being a holiday diver. If you didn't enjoy local diving, then you might be better served using your time/money in the short-term to do more training or get the equipment you need.... and save up money in the long term to get more diving vacations.

4. Are there local diving clubs or can you get a local diving mentor?
Clubs are a good way to dive locally, or for people to enjoy shared-passion vacations. Many clubs will have regular pool training, refreshers, development etc. Or you might find a more experienced diving mentor who is willing to help you develop as a diver on local dives.

I would echo the comments above regarding getting experience.

I did my course and about 4 weeks later went on weekend trip which made me a lot more relaxed about my diving ( I got a few compliments about my trim and buoyancy) and also made my mind up as to certain bits of equipment.

Only by having that experience can you make informed decisions about what you want from diving whether that is more dives, more courses etc

Maybe it will become more clear after I learn a bit more, but I just wanted to know what all you guys did when you finished your OW course?

What I did, and what I recommend, is to join a dive-club and go diving. Meeting, talking to and diving with divers of all experience levels is a great way to expand your skills and knowledge. And is fun.

Dive, dive , dive. I would recommend you get your own mask but the rest of the gear I would look at ebay and compare to rental prices. I have met a lot of people that took a lot of courses but never really got into diving so I would not take any more until you figure out if this is going to be a sport you really love. There are low cost destinations so I would focus on those while you get some dives under your belt.

Back
Top Bottom