harness for sidemount and twins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm currently using single or twins but find twins a bit heavy when I get out of the water , I'm considering doing a sidemount course-is there a harness available that can be used for both sidemount and twins so i can keep my options open , if so is it a compromise for either system or is it a satisfactory option .
I'm pretty fit but age is against me.

you can look into the Diverite Nomad xt I havent used mine for twins but it is possible. I have a backplate for that task if I ever put my tanks back in their bands. I think that most will agree that any dual use system wont be optimal for every use but should do both tasks with some limitations.

It's definitely a compromise. You'll spend more money buying separate systems once you figure out that your "master of none" system is annoying, than if you bought a dedicated sidemount system, and a BP/W for doubles.

I have dived my nomad both in side mount and back mount doubles (steel 12 litres).

For cold water side-mount with a butt plate I like it the nomad, but it was not ideal for twins. I think long term you will probably end up getting a dedicated backplate/wing for twins. It does not need to be complicated, and one piece harness, steel backplate and a suitably sized wing.

Mind you I am a bit of a tinkerer and keep changing my configuration :) - I am now diving an inverted back mounted 12 litre steel twinset, and I just love the valve access and ease of shutdowns. - P

DiveRite Nomad and Hollis SMS100 are both examples of convertable backmount/sidemount rigs.

See my list of contemporary sidemount systems for more examples:
A List of Modern Sidemount Diving Systems

There are also options for converting dedicated backmount wings for sidemount use:
Top 5 - Sidemount Adapter Systems

Just remember that a compromise system is always a compromise. IMHO you won't get the full benefits of a dedicated rig, for either application.

I agree that compromises while diving often lead to poor results. Some people don't have a problem with it, but then many people like messing around with adjustable wrenches rather than using one sized just right for the fastener.

I use UTD's alpha/delta wing and harness.
Give it a look.

I put some thoughts and options onto my blog:

Top 5 Convertible Hybrid Sidemount Systems

Hybrid sidemount system specifications.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom