Looking for a New Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfrymus

Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking around, but im not sure which brands and which computers are good and which are not.
(For wrist)

I would like one to be future proof.
I will be using air, nitrox, and possibly mix in the future
Deep diving
decompression info
Alarms
Digital Compass
Not sure if any have these, but a GPS/location - to log the location(s) of the dives (But this is really asking for it)

I looked at the D6i (novo?), and it seemed cool. It looks nice, has good features, and you can upload data on the computer, which might be handy. But reviews weren't all too great.

I would be using this while doing scientific studies in the ocean, for school at first.
And for photo/video work

I was okay with the $1K CAD for a new model (Approx. $750 USD)
But, only if its worth it and has good features.

Last edited:
You have just described a Shearwater Petrel or Perdix.... Also, your mention of scientific studies is interesting. I believe the Biological Station (DFO) in Nanaimo BC is using them on some of their scientific divers. Also the price point is pretty close to $1k CAD

I'll look into the shearwater. The large ones look way too big. It would seem to be in the way of certain things. The Perdix I believe it is, the smaller one, may be of interest. A tad higher in price, but may be what I need.

I tried looking for some demostration videos on these computers, but didnt find anything.
No reviews and no look through of the entire system unlike other ones.
Im only finding information about a few features.

However, looking at it, it does rather look confusing, compared to other computers I've been looking at.

I'll look into the shearwater. The large ones look way too big. It would seem to be in the way of certain things. The Perdix I believe it is, the smaller one, may be of interest. A tad higher in price, but may be what I need.

I tried looking for some demostration videos on these computers, but didnt find anything.
No reviews and no look through of the entire system unlike other ones.
Im only finding information about a few features.

However, looking at it, it does rather look confusing, compared to other computers I've been looking at.

Hi mfrymus,

Shearwater has a series of Youtube videos demonstrating operation. For example, the video below shows the recreational nitrox mode for the Petrel. The user interface for the new, smaller Perdix is identical and we continue to add new features to both models.

We strive to keep the user interface as simple as possible. So although Shearwater computers support open circuit, closed circuit, and trimix diving, within any one mode we try to keep operation streamlined and focused.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

^ Thanks.

I've been searching all over youtube for tutorials on it, went through countless videos. But I found it at the same time you posted it. Odd how I couldn't find it on my end. It goes in depth of each menu tutorial :)
...and I realized this computer has different menu options. Which really simplifies things.

This looks like exactly what I needed.

However, Im curious, what would be an alternative option to this?

However, Im curious, what would be an alternative option to this?

In .ca probably none. In .eu there's OSTC Sport. This one: iX3M Deep comes with GPS but is quite a bit overbudget.

I recently purchased this one. More computer than I'll need, but fully unlocked features and only $399.

Dive Rite NiTek Q Advanced Nitrox/Trimix Dive Computer (V2) | Dive Gear Express®

I would advise the Nitek Q as well : for only $399 you won't get anything better. I use one as a backup to my Petrel and it's been very satisfying.

If you're ready to break your piggy bank : Shearwater, OSTC, Divesoft are probably the answers.

But if you really want/need a trimix computer, avoid Suunto Helo and Eon Steel. Two guys I dive regularly with, both Suunto freaks, were very disatisfied with them.

Your list of what you are looking for in a computer is interesting, because it has both what you need now and what you MIGHT need in the future IF you get into technical diving. There are many computers that offer what you need now; there are a few computers that also offer what you might need in the future. The interesting thing about the difference is that the ones that have what you need now are pretty much set in their design--anything you get will be essentially the same as anything you could have gotten years ago, and they will be the same for quite some time. The tech computers, on the other hand, are evolving rapidly. If you buy one now and don't go into tech for several years, the one you buy today MIGHT be obsolete. Additionally, some tech agencies do not advocate the use of computers AT ALL. If you decided to go with one of them, your computer money will be down the drain.

An obvious choice might be to buy a less expensive computer now and then buy a tech computer WHEN and IF you need it in the future. That sounds like a waste of money, but it doesn't have to be. If you choose a model now that can be put into gauge mode, you can use it with your tech diving later. If you use a tech computer for those dives, you will need a backup, and a computer in gauge mode will do nicely. Additionally, the agencies that do not allow computers do allow you to use a computer in gauge mode.

There are a lot of choices in computers, and if you give a call to someone who can make an honest comparison, you can make the best possible choice.

Back
Top Bottom