Octo. Buying Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed Dolphin lists Hog/Edge. Edge is the recreational division of Hog. They sell this one - I don't have any experience with it but you've got to love the price: Edge Enduro Brass Octopus
Especially since retail is 1/2 that: Edge Enduro Brass Octopus

EDG0179.jpg

johanan, Northeast Scuba Supply is one of the best e-stores and brick and mortars for scuba gear in the US. John and his team are spectacular. Dive Right in Scuba also sells new Apeks.

To the OP, note that the ATX50/100/200 are identical except for chroming, same with the XTX50/100/200. The 40's can be easily upgraded to the 50 with the adjustment knob. Personally the XTX50 isn't going to make any sort of real world upgrade to you, however the wide exhaust T's are very nice. Not worth paying that much more over an ATX, but nice. I'd just check ebay or on here and grab the first apeks you see. Don't discount having an extra first stage either as the first stage is the one that is more prone to failing. Keeping an extra allows you to make a 5 minute hose swap and be back in the water as opposed to having to rent regs.

For Sale - Apeks xtx200 1st and second stage
this is the same as what you have but with the newer second stage. Not a bad price for them

For Sale - Hog, Apeks, Oceanic and OMS regs for sale
The apeks in here is the second stage right before yours, but would make a good octo and you'd have an extra first stage

For Sale - APEX-DS4 First Stage,ATX-50 Second Stage, Egress Octo, w/freebi gauge
another option there, gets you essentially a matching second stage, extra first stage, and an extra octo just in case

tbone1004, I can speak only of my experience and NESS is the only online store among many I dealt with which did not deliver all goods I paid for, some were delivered in a different style than I ordered, and the team ignored my calls and mails until I gave up. I observe that they have a solid selection of gear and therefore pasted the link, but I cannot recommend NESS to anyone, sorry. In contrast to that, it was a pure joy to have business with DRIS and Scuba Toys. But this is an offtopic and I really didn't intend to go deeper into this.

Thank you all for the great tips. Getting back on topic, I've been reading about balanced vs. unbalanced and I think I have a pretty good grasp of that aspect when it comes to ocots. Are there any other general features that I should take note of while shopping?

The other LDS in my area, which is also very good, has a more limited brand selection. They do carry Aqua Lung though, so I think if I went that route it would give me 2 LDS options for service nearby while keeping the octo in the same family as my primary. They also carry Oceanic, Mares, Atomic and Sherwood. They don't carry ScubaPro.

I noticed Dolphin lists Hog/Edge. Edge is the recreational division of Hog. They sell this one - I don't have any experience with it but you've got to love the price: Edge Enduro Brass Octopus
Especially since retail is 1/2 that: Edge Enduro Brass Octopus

EDG0179.jpg

Is the only difference between these two that that more expensive one is adjustable and the hose lengths are different?

Came across this one online, being sold in the UK, but it looks like they would ship to the US. ATX 40 in used condition but working the seller says. Currently at an auction site for $57, but the auction doesn't end for 8 days. What would be a fair price for something like this?
s-l1600.jpg

the ATX50/DS4 with egress octo is a much better deal at $200 if you can convince him to ship. Gets you the extra first stage, the adjustable second stage, and the extra octo. Used Apeks seconds tend to go for around $100

Also, still interested in what people think about compact octos vs. normal sized ones. Are they less reliable? Worth the extra cost? Any other general pros / cons on that front to know about would be great.

Back
Top Bottom