Octo. Buying Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have an Apeks ATX 200 1st and 2nd stage that has been sitting in my closet for many years, it was a gift from a friend who only used it twice and then stopped using it, and I've finally decided to get it outfitted with gauges and an octo. I already have a thread going on the gauge issue, but I was hoping for some advice on the octo. side of things.

What should I be on the look out for in a good octo.? Are there any in particular that won't work with my Apeks ATX 200 set-up? I want something that's going to be simple, bombproof, and last me many years. Frankly, if I'm using the octo (for myself or my buddy), I'm probably ending my dive, so I just want something I can depend on to be there when I need it.

At this point I'm a recreational diver who doesn't go all that often (27 dives in 10 years if that tells you anything), so being travel friendly is important though I would like to start diving more.

Are "compact" octos really worth it? I'm a bit dubious of them, but then again, I don't know much about them to begin with. The closest diving for me is Monterey, CA, so it'll be used in colder water and I'd like to be taking my regulator set-up with me when I travel.

I'm open to buying something gently used (and of course it'll be serviced before I use it) and I've been looking on craigslist in my area for an octo, but so far everyone is only selling full regulator set-ups and sellers are unwilling to part out their octos and I'd rather not buy a whole rig to just take the octo. I'm also open to buying something new. I'd like to not spend more than $100, so that probably puts me in the cheaper new models and maybe nicer used ones.

I guess I'm basically asking if there are some general rules to follow regarding what to look for in a good octo, and if there are any particular brands/models that I should be on the look out for that would be a solid choice. I see all kinds of online reviews for primary regulators, but I'm not finding much on octos.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Quick follow-up, I found online a used ScubaPro octo. that's selling for about $25 right now (with hose), but they don't say what model it is. Looks to be in good shape though with only a few minor scratches. Would this be something to consider or avoid?

Last edited:
Consider any Apeks so that it can be serviced with you other reg gear.

My ockies are the same model as my primaries, if I have to breath of it I want it to work well.

Generally all second stages will work, but will need to be adjusted to the 1st stage IP.

Scubapro is fine, and can readily be serviced (very big world wide network as is Apek/Aqualung). As there is no model number or image or comment on if it works it is hard to say $25 is okay! Can you provide more details? How old is it when was it last serviced?

You could buy a complete set second hand, and resell the primary and 1st stage, assuming it was very good value...

Your Octo should be the same as your 2nd stage... Why would you want anything less ?:confused:

Jim....

Thanks Tbar, I hesitate to post too much on the ScubaPro listing as I don't want someone else to swoop in a take it out from under me! Here are some photos, I've asked the seller for the model number. They just say in the listing "It is in Used Condition showing some light normal use. It has been hooked up to air and breathes great.". I'm guessing it's a storage unit find or something similar as the seller doesn't appear to specialize in SCUBA gear.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Consider any Apeks so that it can be serviced with you other reg gear.

My ockies are the same model as my primaries, if I have to breath of it I want it to work well.

Generally all second stages will work, but will need to be adjusted to the 1st stage IP.

Scubapro is fine, and can readily be serviced (very big world wide network as is Apek/Aqualung). As there is no model number or image or comment on if it works it is hard to say $25 is okay! Can you provide more details? How old is it when was it last serviced?

You could buy a complete set second hand, and resell the primary and 1st stage, assuming it was very good value...
I've been keeping an eye out for Apeks octos, but honestly haven't had much luck. I fear even used they would be out of my price point, but I'm in no horrible rush, so I can be patient and hope one pops up.

My LDS happens to be a very big outfit that seems to carry just about every brand that I can think of, they have a big online store, so I'm not super worried about mixing brands. Here's their full list (Brands | Dolphin Scuba Center)

Last edited:
Looks like a R190 octopus, more common version has a yellow diaphragm and exhaust cover and was available from 1995 to 2007.

It looks like a genuine Scubapro hose, if it is original it may need replacing.

I don't know if it is a bargain but I cant imagine getting something for much less!

Looks like a R190 octopus, more common version has a yellow diaphragm and exhaust cover and was available from 1995 to 2007.

It looks like a genuine Scubapro hose, if it is original it may need replacing.

I don't know if it is a bargain but I cant imagine getting something for much less!

Just a quick update, the seller doesn't know what the model type is, which reaffirms my belief this is a second hand find of some sort. Not sure how I feel about that, but looking into the R190 it seems like it's known for being a well respected basic workhorse regulator. The seller did say that "it came with a G250HP", but he must have sold that separately.

Putting aside this ScubaPro octo (which I may not get), I'm very interested in continuing the conversation regarding my OP.

Last edited:
Apeks is distributed by Aqualung so any dealer for one has/can get parts for the other.

You might find a Titan 2nd stage in good condition online - an octo can also just be a 2nd stage - if you want to ID it for a potential buddy, change the hose to yellow or even cheaper, they sell yellow hose wraps for a few dollars.

It's very unlikely you'll even find one but the only generically available brand that might require special tuning to work with your regs is a Poseidon model. My friend had an old Jetstream he used for a while but due to the differing IP pressures it initially free-flowed every time it hit the water.

Apeks also makes their Egress octo in case you see one of those - it works either side up since it has a swivel at the mouthpiece end.

Capture2.JPG

The pictured Octo is a R190. This one:
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure how much money one can save on an octopus, given the upcoming expenses which will never end until you quit diving. :) Apeks XTX40 would be a good choice. Technically it is the same as XTX50 which is probably the most popular Apeks reg. The only difference is the breathing adjustment knob which is not really relevant for an octo. Northeast Scuba Supply sells the ATX20 for $190. (I cannot recommend NESS as a good store, though.) I haven't used the ATX, but I assume, they would be OK, too. I don't know much about the Egress model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom