**** Loads Of Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonasC

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! So im a newbie, only got my OW last winter, planing on going diving some time this summer and have a couple of questionss I hope to get answered. I'm planing on traveling for about a month and in that time get my advanced and do an aditional 10 dives or so.

First, where should I go? After some research I found out that Southeast asia would be the cheapest and easiest to fly to from Sweden where im from. I'm thinking Bali/Sulawesi, maybe bouth? / Perhentian, malaysia. Borneo, SIpadan would be the dream but i'm afraid that the diving is more for experienced divers, what do you think? It all lean towards Perhentian cause of the newbie friendly and (remember where you heard this first) :) cheap, even cheaper than Koh tao from the websites that I have been looking at.

Moalboal, Philippines is where I got my OW and really liked it, have you been to these places and how do they compare? I'm sure Borneo is amazing and Bali,Sulawesi too, but what about Perhentian? I am a bit worried I will tire of the diving there and I would like to be able to see something bigger than your average coral fish. Maybe I could get my advanced and do like 5 more dives on Perhentian and then be ready to head over to Borneo?

In what order should I do my diveing? Should I start with the advanced course? Or do you maybe recommend me to do some refresher thing first?

I got a GoPro 3 silver that I want to bring with me underwater but i'm not sure if I am sertified to do so? My instructor in Moalboal said I was not. Will I be after the advanced course?
What are the absolute necessary accessories, mounts to be able to get a few okay shots? remote controll, red filter and a pole?

Hope you guys can give me some advice on a few things.
Thanks From JOnas.

I got a GoPro 3 silver that I want to bring with me underwater but i'm not sure if I am sertified to do so? My instructor in Moalboal said I was not. Will I be after the advanced course?
You don't need a cert to carry a camera, no matter if it's still or video.

OTOH, n00bs generally need about every bps of mental bandwidth they have to dive safely (I know; I've been there), and carrying a camera usually also carries a huge risk of spending some of that mental bandwidth on the camera and the shots you want to get. Which means that unless you're very diligent that your camera use shouldn't impact your diving, it's usually a pretty darned good idea to leave that camera topside until you have some dives under your belt and start feeling comfortable. Even then, it's usually a good idea to keep your priorities straight, i.e. remembering that safe diving, buddy awareness and environmental concern should have priority over getting the shots/videos.

Yeah I agree with you, maybe put it on my head and just let it record whatever i'm looking at could be a safe option.

howdy and welcome from south Florida USA......no mater where you go you should just dive, dive , dive as the others above have said...good luck and enjoy your trip.

"I want to bring with me underwater but i'm not sure if I am sertified to do so? My instructor in Moalboal said I was not."

Of course you are not certified. You do not hold a certificate :D
Are you allowed to bring a camera is a completely different matter.

The "allowed equals certified" thing has a lot to do with duty of care, professional dive trip organizing, insurances, and guarding ones back.
I don't think that cameras pose such a risk that allowing a camera would constitute negligence under any legislation. Lawyers may disagree.

It is still not an optimal choice to bring extra gear on your 5th, 6th, 7th... dives (or your 276th dive).
It's always best to find a buddy that carries the camera because then you are the subject.

Last edited:
Would not bring a camera. A new diver definitely isn't ready for one. Besides personal safety concerns, you might damage the reef or you might lose/ break the camera due to the inexperience of not diving and shooting a camera.

I know a lot of people want to take video of themselves underwater, but leave the camera home for this first trip; there will be plenty of others.

You already have three people saying to varying degrees don't bring the camera. I would be shocked if anyone posted that it was a good idea.

Congrats on your certification

Hello all, from Virginia, I've wanted to get certified since I tried above water scuba diving in Florida, but I have some concerns. First, over 10 years ago I had a pulmonary embolism from a blood clot from a broken leg. I am no longer on medication, but I do still have a permanent filter in place. Second, I'm overweight, but I'm swimming, walking, and biking to get into shape and to lose and get healthy, but I'm still worried about being turned away for my weight. I'm 39, 5'5 and (size 14) is it dangerous to dive that heavy? Any info would be appreciated.

howdy and welcome Nikkib from south Florida..........lot's of people like you scuba dive with great pleasure and comfort.........however your question about your medical issues should be directed to the medical section...this is the internet and i would take all opinions with a grain of salt.....good luck to you and your family.

howdy and welcome Nikkib from south Florida..........lot's of people like you scuba dive with great pleasure and comfort.........however your question about your medical issues should be directed to the medical section...this is the internet and i would take all opinions with a grain of salt.....good luck to you and your family.

Thank you, I know ppl can get mean sometimes. I've made an appointment to see if diving is an option for me. Thanks for your post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom