Fins And Stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skimmed through all of the replies and you have some good advice, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

The mask is the most important purchase for you. I use the same prescription mask (nearsighted w/astigmatism) I purchased in 1998 from the dive shop I learned to dive at, although my prescription has changed somewhat since then. If you only need reading strength they will be much cheaper than prescriptive lenses. Whether you get reading level or a higher prescription strength, be sure to try them out as there may be a slight difference in how well you see things above and below the water. A dive shop should be able to make the adjustment. You will also have fewer choices in styles of masks but the sea life doesn't care what you look like!

Regarding fins, I went to split fin for one reason only. It alleviated pain I had in my legs while diving. As most of my diving is in the caribbean, I purchased full foot fins about 1 ½ years ago for lighter travel. I also have open heel with boots if I feel I need warmth and/or protection (but then you need to budget for boots also.) Determine which pair to take when I know where I'm going.

Eventually went to a dry snorkel. If you do a lot of snorkeling, would recommend it. For diving, not so much. Unless you have a way to secure it, it will receive a lot of stress.

Think you will be over $200 for all good quality items, but they will last a long time.

The DGX masks and fins are good to go. Cheap because no retail support, no ads or anything:
Masks - Vision Correcting | Dive Gear Express®
But still good stuff.

I don't buy the "perfect fit mask" bit. A mask that leaks a little just makes it easier to defog under water. Some of the masks that fit me the worst, are my favorites. Exhale once, out my nose and I'm dry as a bone again, so what's the big deal? As long as the mask seals up well on the forehead and outside of my eyes I like it. A little loose around my nose or the bottom of the mask is fine by me.

I no longer attach my heavy dry snorkel to my mask anymore. I made a rubber strap just for it. The super soft silicone rubber straps popular on todays masks can't support the weight of the snorkel too well. I strap the snorkel on after putting my mask on. IE: Jump in, fins, mask, snorkel.

I pprefer the Oceanic Ultra dry or Cressi super dry snorkels for snorkeling, and the simpler XS Scuba Cargo snorkel for diving.

Last edited:
Here's the really inexpensive dry snorkel I got. I think the same thing by one of the dive companies (US Divers is owned by Aqua Lung) would be way more. Nice and cheap...$12! Amazon.com : U.S. Divers Island Dry Snorkel (Black) : Dry Diving Snorkels : Sports & Outdoors

After I saw your post, I bought this snorkel. It arrived a couple of days ago.

It's my bad. I didn't pay close enough attention. This snorkel has some kind of flapper valve thing at the top to keep water out when you submerge. If I had realized that, I would not have bought it. Anything that could stick and keep me from being able to breathe in is not something I really want to use. Admittedly, it's not a huge deal. But, like I said, IF I had paid better attention and realized this before I bought it, I would not have gotten it.

I don't buy the "perfect fit mask" bit. A mask that leaks a little just makes it easier to defog under water.

If you treated your mask so it didn't fog, this wouldn't be an issue. I mix up Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo about 1/3 to 2/3 water, then squirt some of that in my mask before I dive. My masks never fog. OTOH, if my mask leaks, even very slowly, it's dang annoying. Especially if I'm doing something where I am trying to constantly look down, instead of forward. Then the water that leaks in run around the inside of my lens and makes it hard to see, and I can't just exhale to clear it. I have to tilt my head up and usually get a little bit of positive angle on my body to get the water to wear it will blow out.

I no longer attach my heavy dry snorkel to my mask anymore. I made a rubber strap just for it. The super soft silicone rubber straps popular on todays masks can't support the weight of the snorkel too well. I strap the snorkel on after putting my mask on. IE: Jump in, fins, mask, snorkel.

I'm not very experienced. But, most of my dives have been from a boat with 10+ people aboard or training dives in a class with multiple people plus an instructor and assistant instructor. I can't remember ever seeing anyone diving with a snorkel except for people doing an Open Water class. I'm not saying it's not a good idea to carry one in a pocket, for just in case. But, do you really need to actually wear one when you dive?

After I saw your post, I bought this snorkel. It arrived a couple of days ago. Not being able to breathe in is not something I really want to use.

DRY snorkel is the keyword here. Any time you see dry, think "how". I've seen at least a dozen returns over the past year for high end snorkels that stop flapping as you so lucidly describe the valve.

After I saw your post, I bought this snorkel. It arrived a couple of days ago. It's my bad. I didn't pay close enough attention. This snorkel has some kind of flapper valve thing at the top to keep water out when you submerge. If I had realized that, I would not have bought it. Anything that could stick and keep me from being able to breathe in is not something I really want to use. Admittedly, it's not a huge deal. But, like I said, IF I had paid better attention and realized this before I bought it, I would not have gotten it.

DRY snorkel is the keyword here. Any time you see dry, think "how". I've seen at least a dozen returns over the past year for high end snorkels that stop flapping as you so lucidly describe the valve.

Sometimes the saying you get what you pay for applies so I'm surprised to read about so many returns on high end snorkels.

I have the Oceanic Ultra Dry Snorkel (actually have 4 of them for family at $44.95 apiece) which uses a flapper, or valve, and is covered by a splash guard. Thanks goodness the flapper seals better than the flapper in my toilet! Have had mine since 2009 and flapper hasn't failed to seal or, more importantly, unseal yet. The valve is weighted to prevent accidental sealing, thus air intake, if one were to inhale too strongly (guess it can happen in other models.)

Was trying to think what would make the flapper stick; maybe salt if the snorkel didn't get rinsed well or poor manufacturing. Anything else?

Poor manufacturing. Manufacturer has acknowledged it. When I was a kid, snorkels had a plastic cage with a pingpong ball inside. Never worked either.

After I saw your post, I bought this snorkel. It arrived a couple of days ago.

It's my bad. I didn't pay close enough attention. This snorkel has some kind of flapper valve thing at the top to keep water out when you submerge. If I had realized that, I would not have bought it. Anything that could stick and keep me from being able to breathe in is not something I really want to use. Admittedly, it's not a huge deal. But, like I said, IF I had paid better attention and realized this before I bought it, I would not have gotten it.

Is yours a flap or is it a big piece? Mine is a big piece that comes down to seal the opening.. Mine is probably closer to this one...I got it as part of a set before I learned how to dive so I may have misspoke on the specific one I have. Sorry to have steered you wrong! Now I feel bad! :( http://www.usdivers.com/products/mask-snorkel/ladies/item/24-azul-lx-purge-tucson-lx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom