Fins And Stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve the new guy

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I do not own any gear. We are getting our O.W. certificate in a couple of months. I imagine this has been asked plenty, and subject to much personal taste.
We each have a budget for Mask, snorkel and fins of $200. Also I use glasses to read. On our Discover Scuba dive I could not read my gauges. Any input, help would be great.

You can get prescription lenses in your scuba mask but that will make it cost a lot more and I doubt you'd fit it all in your budget. Also some don't like prescription lenses in their scuba masks because it means they have to be a lot more worried about things like losing it and damaging them. I have heard of a lot of people who use contacts if they need to be able to read their gauges.

With the mask and snorkel just make sure you are buying ones designed for scuba diving, not ones just meant for a pool. Those kinds may use a glass other than a tempered glass which may not do so well under pressure, and fog up a lot easier. If you go to a scuba shop though they probably only have scuba masks anyway :).

Depending on where you are diving you may need boots with your fins. If it is not cold water diving you're doing you probably don't need boots then. The fins definitely depend more on preference and build. You're probably best getting the opinion from someone at a shop, but you probably don't need any of the really expensive fins.

I hope that budget is $200 each, because that is what it is likely going to cost per person unless you buy used. My fins alone were a little over $100, and the same goes for my mask and snorkel.

Buy your snorkel and fins from Craig's List. Spend your money on a mask that fits, with pop-in prescription lens. You can get bifocal ("reading") lenses and mask for under $100. Check Amazon.com.You'll have money left over.

Thank you. Yes the budget is each. We will be diving in Florida, and I for some reason like the full foot fit. I have heard some things about lenses that stick on to your mask?
The lenses that stick to you mask may be similar to what @tursiops is talking about. With $200 you should be able to pick up all of this stuff no problem. A full foot fin is fine as long as you don't need to wear a boot with it. It sounds like you may be doing some warmer diving and I'm guessing don't need a boot. So that would work fine for you. It is definitely a lot of preference. You can try them on in a shop to try and make sure they feel comfortable, but it is hard to know what they are like in the water. You could also get fins used, as long as their condition looks fine there is nothing wrong with getting used. I personally didn't because I have big feet and couldn't find anyone in a timely manner selling used in my size.

But like the other user said, a mask you definitely want to fit well. You should be able to create a seal on your face with it and hold it just by breathing in through your nose without the strap on. It should be able to stay there with just that action. Also make sure it is comfortable and fits well. It would be pretty annoying doing a long dive with a mask that kept leaking water or wouldn't stay on your face right.

Good advice all. Probably time to go to a shop and look things over a bit. We are hoping to buy from the same shop that we are taking our training from, but they are 4 hours away. I like to buy from mom and pop type stores when I can. Just a personal pet peeve of mine.

The lenses that stick to you mask may be similar to what @tursiops is talking about. With $200 you should be able to pick up all of this stuff no problem. A full foot fin is fine as long as you don't need to wear a boot with it. It sounds like you may be doing some warmer diving and I'm guessing don't need a boot. So that would work fine for you. It is definitely a lot of preference. You can try them on in a shop to try and make sure they feel comfortable, but it is hard to know what they are like in the water. You could also get fins used, as long as their condition looks fine there is nothing wrong with getting used. I personally didn't because I have big feet and couldn't find anyone in a timely manner selling used in my size.

But like the other user said, a mask you definitely want to fit well. You should be able to create a seal on your face with it and hold it just by breathing in through your nose without the strap on. It should be able to stay there with just that action. Also make sure it is comfortable and fits well. It would be pretty annoying doing a long dive with a mask that kept leaking water or wouldn't stay on your face right.
No, I've tried them all. The stick-on lenses are a PITA. Get actual prescription lenses that replace the clear lenses.I've worn corrected masks for decades, of all kinds. If you have a moderate prescription, it is not costly and works well.

Yes, but often only minus lenses (for the nearsighted). You are farsighted, need a plus lens; it soujld have to be ordered. Most two-lens masks in most brands can have lenses put it.

Be prepared to pay 50-100% more for buying your stuff in a dive shop. A snorkel is a snorkel. Many on-line retailers will let you send something back if it doesn't fit. I love local dive shops....but some things just don't make sense to buy from them, except for convenience or instant gratification. Truly, you can get some awesome deals on Craig's List.

Back
Top Bottom