Fins And Stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snorkel- simple j tube. No gimmicks like dry or semi dry. I sell a j tube for 15 bucks and it is what I recommend to all my students.
Mask- as was said - fit is critical. I have my bi focal script in mine and worth every penny.
Fins - for scuba in general forget the full foot fins. You can't walk around in them. On boat dives they may be ok until the first time you kick a 5lb lead weight with an unprotected toe or accidentally stub it on a bench or door sill. Shore diving they are just about worthless. You may need to walk into water where you can't see the bottom. Want to do that in bare feet? Not me.
Other than the script mask I can put someone in good dive quality fins, mask, neoprene boots, and a snorkel for 150 bucks. 15 for snorkel, 30 for boots, 45 for the mask, and 60 for fins. Any shop should be able to do this. The mark up on snorkels is around 100% or more.
That 49.95 dry snorkel cost the dealer about 18 bucks. The other stuff has margins a little lower. The snorkel seems to be the one that is highest. Probably since for most agencies it's required, and if they can sell you one they make 30 bucks on over on they make 8 or 10 on which do you think they will push?

I go along with tursiops--I bought my ScubaPro Lightning Jet Fins on eBay for $30. I love them. OTOH my snorkel and hard sole booties I bought new back in 1969.

If you were going to Kona instead of Florida I could tell you where to get some good deals...

My fiance' sprung for the expensive prescription mask. It sits and collects dust, except the first time she used it in a pool session during OW class. She wears contacts, and using the mask means she would need to bring glasses on the boat or wear the mask for the whole trip. Instead she uses contacts under the mask for every dive.

I feel guilty for suggesting she get the prescription mask now.

I like Jim L's list and prices. I too vote against stick on bifocals as I have lost two (years ago --the kind you bind on the bottom of the mask lenses with warm water--mabe so Krazy Glue would work, but I don't recommend it). It was also difficult to read with them--I wound up kind of closing one eye and looking through the other lense. I can read my gauges well enough without them to be safe. On an old gauge I used permanent marker to highlight something. Prescription mask OK, but contacts I would think a better and less costly item, assuming you wear them already.

I think the mask is the most important here--Go for whatever fits best. A continuous leak or a poor fit will ruin a dive and that's all you will be focused on. I am partial to having open fins and wearing socks and boots with it. I have been in really warm water and really cold water and I have never complained about being too hot in warm water with them and they have been toasty in cold water. I also like them for shore dives.

I wouldn't spend very much on a snorkel although I got the cheapest dry snorkel I could find easily. I got one from US Divers (a division of Aqua Lung). I only ever use it for long surface swims or choppy water and when I'm taking off my fins. It's not something I use while actually diving so it's not paramount or critical to spend a lot of money on it more than it is for convenience. I like not swallowing water or having to constantly exhale to clear the snorkel.

You could even find some great second hand fins or snorkels on Scubaboard classifieds, eBay, or Craigslist.

Have fun shopping!

I think the mask is the most important here--Go for whatever fits best. A continuous leak or a poor fit will ruin a dive and that's all you will be focused on. I am partial to having open fins and wearing socks and boots with it. I have been in really warm water and really cold water and I have never complained about being too hot in warm water with them and they have been toasty in cold water. I also like them for shore dives.

I wouldn't spend very much on a snorkel although I got the cheapest dry snorkel I could find easily. I got one from US Divers (a division of Aqua Lung). I only ever use it for long surface swims or choppy water and when I'm taking off my fins. It's not something I use while actually diving so it's not paramount or critical to spend a lot of money on it more than it is for convenience. I like not swallowing water or having to constantly exhale to clear the snorkel.

You could even find some great second hand fins or snorkels on Scubaboard classifieds, eBay, or Craigslist.

Have fun shopping!
I am the same - I went for a dry snorkel because of the same reasons and the fact that it wasn't that much extra money (especially when you add up the costs of the entire package.

You can get stock prescription lenses for masks and they are not that expensive when you get them for one of the masks that they are made for. Ground to prescription lenses are expensive and the masks they fit in is limited.

Untrue. Prescription Dive Masks fit prescription lenses into ANY mask. Stock lenses are only available in whole numbers. So if you have a complicated prescription (astigmatism etc) they are useless. Seavision is a good option. Limited range of masks but they're a local Florida outfit that does excellent work. I've sold many of their custom prescription masks and they are pretty reasonably priced.

- I also need reading glasses. I bought some Hydrotac stick-on lenses at Walmart over a year ago and they are still fine.

Hydrotac Stick-on Bifocal Lenses, 2.00 - Walmart.com

The trick with the Hydrotacs is to put them on and then let them dry for AT LEAST 24 hours before you get in the water with them. I used them in my mask for a couple of months before I figured out that my mask itself didn't seal to my face well enough. At that point I bought new masks with built-in gauge reader lenses. But I bought them because I got to try a buddy's same mask on a dive and found that it didn't leak at all.

As a better indicator of how well the Hydrotacs work, if you put them on correctly, I also put a pair on the inside of my sunglass lenses, which are curved. They have stayed on for almost a year now and I have had one come off on two different occasions. Each time, it was laying on my desk so I just put it back on. But, even if I had to buy new ones, they are only $15 a pair... And, you can see as they start to get air under them and are preparing to come loose, so you have LOTS of warning before one actually falls off. They stay on with a lot of air under them. And they stay on even better on a flat surface - like the inside of a mask.

Also, just FYI, Hydrotac makes a scuba-specific version of their lenses. They are simply bigger and cost twice as much. I have found no need whatsoever for bigger ones than the regular ones from Walmart. In fact, I think the bigger ones would just get in the way of seeing the far away stuff.

To read well with the Hydrotacs, you do need to make sure you position them correctly in your mask. I recommend to put your mask on, then look at your wrist as if reading your watch. Use your index finger to find the spot on each side where touching the mask obscures the "watch" you're looking at for that eye. A fingerprint smudge will mark the spot adequately. Put the lenses on the inside over the fingerprint smudge that's on the outside and you should be good. Fortunately, if you're off, the Hydrotacs can be popped off, re-wet, and put back on as many times are you want. Even after they've thoroughly dried and been on there for months.

- I found out that, because the Seavision masks have prescription lenses, I could pay for my new masks with my Health Savings Account, so no money out of pocket. I got the Seavision 2100 in all 3 lens colors, with gauge reader lenses, and they work great for me. The Magenta lens really is nice for color correction in blue water.

BuildMask - SeaVisionUSA

- I followed all the common wisdom for making sure my mask fit before I bought my first one. The one that fit the best was also one of the most expensive. When I started diving and having frequent slow leaks, I just chalked it up to my mustache. It was a real eye opener to dive one dive with my slowly leaking mask and then do the next dive with a Seavision and not have to clear my mask a single time during the whole dive.

What I decided that I wish I had known before I bought my first mask is that putting a regulator in my mouth changes the shape of my face in the mouth/nose area and I think my original mask was leaking a bit around the smile lines that are a little more noticeable with a reg in.

So, for you, I would suggest getting a snorkel or a regulator mouthpiece and putting that in your mouth when you are trying on masks and checking the seal.

- Actual ScubaPro Jet fins are pretty negatively buoyant. That is probably not ideal for you, especially in warm water. However, there are clones that are the same design, but are neutrally buoyant. I think the OMS Slipstreams are an example. I have never used a Jet fin or clone, so I can't comment on their performance. But, I have neutral fins for diving in a wetsuit and very negative fins (Hollis F1) for diving in a dry suit and, based on that, I would definitely not choose to use Jet fins in a wet suit.

- Getting stuff like fins and snorkels on CraigsList is a great way to score decent gear for cheap. Once you start diving, you'll most likely develop more of your own tastes and opinions about what to spend more money on and then, potentially, have a good new set of gear that works really well for you and a backup set that cost you almost nothing.

- Ask the shop where you are going to take your class about full-foot fins versus open heel. They MAY specifically require you to have boots and open heel fins. Or they may not. Best to ask before you buy anything. Personally, I would definitely go with boots and open heel fins. I prefer not to be barefoot when I'm moving around a dive boat and also not if I'm doing a shore entry to a dive site that has coral or rocks around. Sub Gear makes some pretty good dive shoes that are low cut, like regular low cut tennis shoes. They work great with open heel fins and are also nice to wear on the boat and on shore. I have a pair and wear them for most of any dive weekend.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-sbgdbs/sub-gear-dive-n-beach-shoes

- Lastly, don't buy split fins just because they are trendy or "newer technology". There are valid reasons that split fins are a good choice for some people, but those reasons are not the ones you usually see in the glossy ads or what you hear from shop sales people. There is a reason most experienced divers do not use split fins. If you start considering split fins, make sure you do some research first and buy them for the right reasons.

cave country in high springs florida has always deals on nice equipment mask and snorkel combo from dive rite usually 35 bucks and its real nice new stuff..... fins i would look on e bay also if you need regs and gear e bay is not a bad place to start...... try cave country ask for jon or christy they will do you right ..... not like the retail shops! as for fins try dive rite there a great fin, light weight, and durable......... split fins = Stroke lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom