Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was one of the first to get hold of the system here in Sweden and used it for about half a year before I took it off and sold it along with the suit. It was a great and easy to use but definitively big.. Made valve drills more cumbersome and getting in and out of the harness was trickier.
Now I have the softrings from northern which is great, it's soft and flexible, much smaller and I only use it for spare seals and such, I just go dryglove with seals instead.

Having owned all the SiTech systems and now the Ultima; I can say hands down the Ultima has worked the best for me. I will say I found it impossible to install the gloves on the system by myself (or with the help of a friend). Perhaps I will finally shoot a video of the process, it only requires a few dollars in PVC parts and some duct tape to build; and is well worth it :)

Yes please! That would be awesome!

I was one of the first to get hold of the system here in Sweden and used it for about half a year before I took it off and sold it along with the suit. It was a great and easy to use but definitively big.. Made valve drills more cumbersome and getting in and out of the harness was trickier.
Now I have the softrings from northern which is great, it's soft and flexible, much smaller and I only use it for spare seals and such, I just go dryglove with seals instead.

Got a link? Video? I looked on the Northern Diver website but didn't find softrings.

I haven't found it any trickier to get out of a harness due to cuff rings. Being a commercial diver and working with my hands, I thought they'd very much get in the way... But I wanted user-replacable seals, so for my last few suits I have ordered the SiTech QCS Oval rings in the suit. My hands do fit through them fine, even though I wear an XL glove (and sometimes a L if they're stretch gloves). I can see how they'd be a problem for anyone with XXL (over 10.25" measurement) hands or bigger.

Meanwhile, the oval design seemed nice and streamlined, although I always questioned whether or not I had them oriented correctly. Sometimes they seem perfect, and other times not.

After the first dive or two, the rings pretty much disappeared for me, even though I do a lot of hull cleaning, prop replacement, and burning/welding work. They are not in the way like I thought they might be.

I also thought I'd be replacing wrist seals a lot more often than I have. I even switched to silicone seals in an attempt to keep my wrist tendons from leaking so badly... I'm on dive #200 with those and no hint of anything going wrong. I never even cut them for adjustment... I just make them stretch. No problems. Silicone is an impossibility without the rings... And yes, the silicone is much more comfortable because it's so much stretchier than latex. Seals better, too... Although I still got leaks due to huge tendons and ripply forearms.

...Anyway, going dryglove - with no seal at all - has totally solved all of these problems. Super slick donning and doffing, and zero leaks at all. Comfort in the water is stellar, and durability and tactile function is much better than I had expected. Outstanding. I'll probably never go back. Now if I can just get Waterproof to send me some extra glove rings, I can set up some spares and/or different kinds of gloves (660, KV660, Marigold, etc.) for different needs.

...But you mentioned getting in and out of a harness... The one huge thing I did was get rid of my SiTech exhaust valve (which comes standard on pretty much all suits) and replace it with a Trigon Pee Valve. Yes, I have a pee valve on my shoulder... Well, the outside part anyway. The part inside the suit is standard exhaust valve. Yes, they fit each other, and yes, they use the same sized hole in the suit.

This takes the exhaust valve profile from about 48mm (nearly 2 inches) to about 9mm (about 3/8ths of an inch). Now getting in and out of a harness is much, much easier.

The Trigon is also better made and much more robust. No adjustment may seem like a disadvantage to those who use their suits as BCDs, but for those of us who prefer to simply back the standard exhaust valve adjustment all the way out and use their BCD as a BCD, this is a godsend because the Trigon is never accidentally misadjusted. It's simply locked open.

I'd have used a cuff dump instead of the Trigon, but like the standard exhaust valve, the cuff dump has just one check valve and leaks rather easily, especially at low differential pressures (like surface swimming or shallow diving). The Trigon has TWIN check valves, and I have yet to have one leak, even in slop on the surface. The Trigon Pee Valve may be the world's best exhaust valve.

There's one more thing about the Trigon... Many small exhaust holes, rather than big slots in the standard exhaust valve and cuff dumps. These smaller holes seem to do a better job at keeping particulate out of the valve and valve seat, which is especially a problem in my job. The holes are also side-oriented, rather than top-oriented... And face a lip... Making them much better guarded from particulate. The whole design stays clearer and works better, with a smaller profile and so far has been leakproof, even with a good squeeze in the suit.

I'm confident that there must be some performance difference between the rate of dump of a standard exhaust valve and a Trigon... But I haven't noticed one, perhaps due to the Trigon's lack of a spring mechanism (improvement in flow) offsetting the smaller exhaust holes (detriment in flow). To me, it wouldn't matter if there was a difference - I'd still pick the drier valve.

Point is - and sorry to go off-topic (maybe I'll post a separate thread about this) - for ease of donning and doffing a harness, the switch to a Trigon as an exhaust valve was a huge improvement... A much bigger difference than rings vs. no rings.

Last edited:
I've found that it's pretty easy to start your glove over the ring and hold it in place with a plastic clamp. They are very cheap at most hardware stores. Once the clamp is in place it's much easier to finish stretching the rest of the glove cuff over the ring. Sometimes it take less than a minute.
1154.2.jpg

Good info!

I wanna see Insomniac's glove installation tool.

Got a link? Video? I looked on the Northern Diver website but didn't find softrings.
Nordic Blue Ring system - JonasDive&Watch, S.L.
These look like what I have. I can easily squeeze the ring between my fingers so the sides nearly touch without problems. I have attached latex but also have spare silicone seals I can attach quickly. Previously I had gloves attached permanently without wrist seals but since I've started to teach more and spend time in pool training I like to have hands free

Those look interesting. I'm not exactly sure how they work... Are they just for user-swapping seals? Do they not have a dryglove attachment point? I assume that if you wanted to use drygloves then, you'd either use a dryglove that attached a ring directly to the seal (like the Kubi Quick Glove System)... Or use a dryglove with a latex seal glued to it (a ringless dryglove).

If I understand your Nordic Blue system correctly then, what you'd end up with is basically a soft ring like a DUI ZipSeal. Do i have that right? I wish I could see a video.

In looking for a video of the Nordic Blue Ring System, I found this video, which shows an installation tool for mounting PVC-style gloves onto Diving Concepts rings, which are basically the same design as the Ultima Dry Glove System. Perhaps this is what Insomniac did:

Ok, I'm away on holiday now but can put some photos or video up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom