Aqualung Outlaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My mistake, thanks

From what I read, it was supposed to be available long before now. But, I have been trolling the online stores and I have not found it for sale online anywhere, yet. I really want to see what the actual street price turns out to be. LP has 9 different AL models, but not the Outlaw.

I posted on the AL FB page last week. They responded and said the Outlaw started shipping in early May and if I haven't been able to find one it's because they're selling so fast they can't keep them in stock.

Love the marketing on this product.

We broke all the rules with the creation of the Outlaw.

Really? I didn't know there were a written set of rules for building a BC.

Designed for the expert diver who appreciates a minimalistic approach to diving
Sorry, only "expert divers". Or wannabes.

no steel D-rings
Well I like my steel D-rings, they are really easy to clip off to.

Its unique modular connector system provides the quickest and easiest way to customize for your most comfortable fit, creating up to 27 different size configurations.
"unique"? Just another term for propitiatory, this ensures that you are locked into there products for any accessories.

Experience diving in its purest form
Wouldn't this be diving without a BC at all? Sounds more like free diving to me.

• Webbed daisy chain, often found on military gear, provides multiple attachment points for your accessories

• The tactical guys should love this!
  • Interchangeable shoulder and waist strap components:
Sure if you want to pay for Aqualungs overpriced proprietary components.
  • Standard carabineer that can be mounted on either right or left shoulder strap
Why not just put D-rings on the shoulders?

• Lower right pull dump
Jeez, God forbid you make the wing dump location match every other conventional wing out there.

The poster is asking for comments from anyone that has actually dived it. I doubt that rig is targeted to drysuit divers back east

I've asked politely a few times, has anyone dived the outlaw?

Weird, huh? Why do you think the marketing is silly. They have to call it something. It's marketed to divers that either dive without a BCD or dive with a little pack and an 18 or huge 24 pound air cell. I do know an AL dealer here that has tried it and loved it but why, he didn't really give specifics. I don't really see why you can't just use something like an OxyCheq UL Travel Pack, 10 ft of harness, a crotch strap, buckle, couple sliders and a D ring or two - all for about 100 bucks or less

I think you're mostly paying 500.00 for the Aqua Lung logo embroidery (?)

I don't really see why you can't just use something like an OxyCheq UL Travel Pack, 10 ft of harness, a crotch strap, buckle, couple sliders and a D ring or two - all for about 100 bucks or less

Where can I get the Oxy plate, harness, and a small wing for $100??

And, where did you see a price tag of $500 for the Outlaw?

Minimalist BC's have been around for quite awhile. Still produced by many companies.

Aqua-Lung is using their marketing strength to push "The Outlaw" as a must have for divers
who fancy themselves as "expert experienced divers" Their reps are pushing it hard.

Seems to be working for them.

The AL website says the Outlaw MSRP is $389. Hopefully, street price will be less. Compared to a DIY rig from a soft plate, harness, tank straps, and a small wing of decent quality, that price doesn't sound THAT excessive.

I just got back from Cozumel where two of our divers used the Outlaws. So this will be second hand info. One is an instructor who typically uses a BP/W so I'll let you know his feedback. Pro's- Low weight, modular system allows you to pack it flat (the shoulder straps and waistband are connected by clips, not hard fasteners). Said it felt like all he could feel was the tank. Also, it has very low buoyancy, so less added weight needed. He used the integrated weight pockets which were OK, and the weight is more on your sides than in front of you. Con's- Attachment points are an issue, and right now carabiner clips are the only option. You may be able to use Molle clips or stainless quick links to add clip off points. My takeaway was that it is a great warm water travel BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom