Perdex/petrel w/ a suunto backup? Pointless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So when in Error state it will still work in gauge mode? I thought it was completely useless then?

Dave
The Suunto goes into gauge mode with essentially all functions except NDL info working when "locked out", it becomes a bottom timer that logs your dive info.

A bit off-topic regarding Suunto, but I dove a Sherwood Amphos (Pelagic Systems) as backup to a Perdix during a 10-dive / 5 day AN/DP wreck course and the Amphos never locked out or complained. Well, it complained once because I didn't switch the Amphos over to 50% EAN during deco when I switched the Perdix.

I run this exact set up. Perdix as primary and Viper in Gauge with either wetnotes or ratio as back up.

I used to lock out my Suunto all the time...

I'd expect many dive ops to make you sit out dives, if not ban you from diving altogether, if they catch you 'bending' your computer.

I used a Vyper as a backup to my Galileo in Cozumel, and in one dive the Vyper went into deco due to a slightly short surface interval and when I exited the Vyper locked out for 48 hrs. So,no the Suuntos do not make good backups.

Just saw this thread. For DM-led tropical vacation type diving I have been using my old Suunto D6 as a backup to my Petrel. I used the Suunto on such vacations as my primary (sole) computer for many years without issue; how those dives are conducted has not changed, even though I now have a computer with gradient factors that would allow me to bend myself if I wanted to.

I assume it is given that the suunto and it's conservative algorithm will probably lock out on some of the dives I do that the perdix/petrel won't even blink at. Anyone use a suunto as a backup? I really like the computer aside from it being like a nagging wife wanting to go shopping and would not mind having it as my backup clipped to a D ring but I really think that I may lock it out. Opinions?

Dave

First off, what kind of dives are you doing?

_R

Pure rec. diving. Maybe 3 dives a day. Max depth is 100' but most are in the 60-80' range.

Pure rec. diving. Maybe 3 dives a day. Max depth is 100' but most are in the 60-80' range.

If you give your Suunto at least a 1-hour surface interval between the first two dives, and something like 2 hours between the second and third dive, it won't balk at that kind of diving. That's just typical vacation-type diving. Suuntos do have a reputation for being conservative, but they are not THAT conservative. Don't fear the Suunto! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom