Perdex/petrel w/ a suunto backup? Pointless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a Suunto Goop as a backup to an Oceanic ProPlus 2. After two days it was spontaneously transformed into a depth gauge and remained so for two weeks of diving.
I assume you meant Zoop, but thought it was an interesting misspelling. Not the 1st story I have heard. To each their own.... Yes the decompression algorithm does make a difference. The RGBM alogorihms, Cressi, Mares, Suunto, are said to punish you for SIs less than an hour.

I've dove many locations (All caribbean) and very rarely are we getting an hour of SI.

I used a Suunto Goop as a backup to an Oceanic ProPlus 2. After two days it was spontaneously transformed into a depth gauge and remained so for two weeks of diving.
How many minutes of stops did you choose to ignore?

Cozumel is an exception, not included in my last 5 years, SIs were quite long for me, so were the dives. My liveaboard SIs in the Red Sea were all over an hour. Have you dived in Florida or elsewhere in the Caribbean?

As @uncfnp alluded to. I have a relatively low RMV and try to be the 1st off and the last back on most dives. I hate to cut short my dives. That may contribute in a minor way to my SIs
I have dived elsewhere in the Caribbean, but the logs are paper and 600 miles away. I don't recall being terribly rushed.

It is a major deal getting bent on a Red Sea liveaboard. Likely a long steam and a lot of annoyed customers. They are there all day and can spread the dives appropriately.

So what is special about Florida that the surface interval has to be short? Can you not get up in the morning? Do they sell out of beer at 1pm? Why can't you stay out longer?

If you are doing a muilti-level dive with the Shearwater and it goes bad on you, the odds are you will not be able to use any tables because you will have exceeded them. I discovered that on my very first dive trip after certification. It was in Cozumel, and after a DM led multi-level dive, I tried to log the dive using tables. It wasn't even close. People saw me and laughed. They told me my tables would make a decent Frisbee. That remains the one and only time I have ever seen anyone try to use recreational dive tables to plan and measure dives (other than in an instructional setting) in my life.

Yeah, I was envisioning using the Suunto and a set of deco tables to get you safely to the surface. I wasn't even thinking about using it as a backup on a recreational dive...... I totally missed the point of the thread.

. .
So what is special about Florida that the surface interval has to be short? Can you not get up in the morning? Do they sell out of beer at 1pm? Why can't you stay out longer?

I know that dive ops in the Keys are generally on a tight schedule because the same boat that takes divers out in the morning needs to return to the dock and take divers out in the afternoon. Perhaps the distances out to the reefs/wrecks are just long enough that it makes the schedule tight?

I am in the camp of those who don't recall an SI less than an hour, but I don't have my log here--and I don't always record the SI--so it may be a case of selective memory.

I assume you meant Zoop, but thought it was an interesting misspelling. Not the 1st story I have heard. To each their own.... Yes the decompression algorithm does make a difference. The RGBM alogorihms, Cressi, Mares, Suunto, are said to punish you for SIs less than an hour.

Yes, the Zoop. It does not play well with others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom