Geo 2 or Mares Smart Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a pleased Mares Smart DC owner. Mares has the most liberal RGBM algorithm on a DC that I know of, but it is still going to be slightly more conservative than the PZ+. Both are excellent choices for cold-water diving or deep rec dives. DSAT is specifically designed for repetitive warm-water diving.

I understand the Mares to have slightly higher quality construction than the Oceanic. If you have problems, though, I understand Mares can be a pain to get warranty work done with. Ultimately, though, they are very very close.

I would suggest matching the algorithm to the diving you do. DSAT in particular is designed to do one type of diving well, and will punish others. Having the choice is very nice. But unless I was doing that type of diving, I would just buy whichever one was on sale - which I did, and it was the Mares. gl

Got any links to support the bolded parts?

As for Mares RGBM conservatism, y'all are saying pretty much the same thing. It's more conservative than PZ+, which is a fair bit more conservative than DSAT.

Atomic RGBM and Suunto Eon Steel and Eon Core are both way more liberal than the Mares. Just because you haven't seen people using either doesn't mean there aren't plenty of them out there.

Lastly, if you want to be more conservative than what DSAT will allow, you don't HAVE to buy a more conservative computer. You CAN just bump up the Conservatism setting, or change to using PZ+. Then, you will still have the option to go more liberal if and when you want to. Not so with the Mares or Cressi.

Oh, and what any of them do for penalties when you run them into deco really should be one of your very least concerns.

Although I don't know anything about the Mares Smart Computer, I do own an Oceanic Geo 2. The Geo 2 makes a good dive watch and bottom timer. I really don't use it as a dive computer however, so I can't comment on that. I did have a problem with my Geo 2 not keeping accurate time after owning it for almost two years. I was concerned to find out that Oceanic had recently been sold to Huish Outdoors, but, as it turned out, there was no need to worry. Huish took care of my problem at no charge on a computer that was just barely within the warranty period. The Geo 2's owner manual is terrible and next to useless. It makes things seem much more complicated and confusing than necessary, as the user interface is actually fairly straightforward for a unit that can do multiple things (watch, nitrox DC, BT, etc.) Once you get used to the buttons and their functions (basically up, down / forward, back and enter) it's reasonably easy to use. I wouldn't recommend the Geo 2's optional download interface. That was a complete waste of money for me. Makes a good everyday watch too.

I wouldn't recommend the Geo 2's optional download interface.

What would you recommend if someone wants to download their dive data into an electronic log? Are you saying that if they want to do that, they should buy some other computer than a Geo 2?

I have an Oceanic Atom 3.0, which I think is pretty much the same as a Geo, just with air integration added. I download all my dives from my Atom into an electronic log (I use Subsurface) on my computer. It's easy and works quickly and consistently. I don't understand why anyone would recommend against that.

What would you recommend if someone wants to download their dive data into an electronic log?

Subsurface. It's brand independent. If you switch computers you can continue to use the same software. Available on multiple platforms.

I wouldn't recommend the Geo 2's optional download interface.

What would you recommend if someone wants to download their dive data into an electronic log?

D'uh. It's right there in the title: mares, obviously.

I am a pleased Mares Smart DC owner. Mares has the most liberal RGBM algorithm on a DC that I know of, but it is still going to be slightly more conservative than the PZ+. Both are excellent choices for cold-water diving or deep rec dives. DSAT is specifically designed for repetitive warm-water diving.

I understand the Mares to have slightly higher quality construction than the Oceanic. If you have problems, though, I understand Mares can be a pain to get warranty work done with. Ultimately, though, they are very very close.

I would suggest matching the algorithm to the diving you do. DSAT in particular is designed to do one type of diving well, and will punish others. Having the choice is very nice. But unless I was doing that type of diving, I would just buy whichever one was on sale - which I did, and it was the Mares. gl

Your post makes little sense. The most liberal RGBM algorithm is Atomic, Mares is quite conservative. DSAT is mainly for recreational, no stop, diving, that is what it was developed for. I have never heard of a construction differential between Oceanic and Mares. What type of diving does DSAT "punish", repetitive deco, maybe. I don't think most of your advice is valid, perhaps trying to rationalize your own purchase?

Everything I said is backed by the research I did before I bought a DC - I am not an expert, but nothing I say comes out of thin air. I never see divers using Atomic DC's so their algorithm is somewhat irrelevant, I read two tests putting DC's through test dives and Mares was only slightly more conservative than PZ+ in those tests, Oceanic owners tended to need to replace their DC's more frequently than Mares owners in the reviews I read, DSAT punished heavily in the deco test, and if you imagine I need your validation of past purchases you can go jump in a lake.

My interest in attempting informed conversation ends when you make a personal attack by suggesting my observations on the OP's topic are colored by what you imagine to be my shortcomings as a human being. End of discussion.

Got any links to support the bolded parts?

As for Mares RGBM conservatism, y'all are saying pretty much the same thing. It's more conservative than PZ+, which is a fair bit more conservative than DSAT.

Atomic RGBM and Suunto Eon Steel and Eon Core are both way more liberal than the Mares. Just because you haven't seen people using either doesn't mean there aren't plenty of them out there.

Lastly, if you want to be more conservative than what DSAT will allow, you don't HAVE to buy a more conservative computer. You CAN just bump up the Conservatism setting, or change to using PZ+. Then, you will still have the option to go more liberal if and when you want to. Not so with the Mares or Cressi.

Hi @Bierstadt

Sorry, I was traveling to Cayman Brac and missed your reply. @stuartv beat me to the punch, he often does. This was not a personal attack. Your information was incorrect and is the same as the inaccurate article from simply scuba cited in post #8. Everything you read on the internet is not true, sorry. You simply appear to be over your head in a discussion regarding the relative merits of available decompression algorithms. I did not criticize your purchase of a Mares computer, that was your choice. Others also are looking to purchase a computer, they deserve accurate information. I'd still be very interested in your reference for the relative replace or repair rates for Oceanic vs. Mares.

Good diving, Craig

Your information was incorrect and is the same as the inaccurate article from simply scuba cited in post #8.

Actually the graph is from Oceanic's website.
Geo 2 or Mares Smart Computer?

The quote is from Simply Scuba. Pure opinion. Nothing incorrect about that.

Last edited:
What would you recommend if someone wants to download their dive data into an electronic log? Are you saying that if they want to do that, they should buy some other computer than a Geo 2?

I have an Oceanic Atom 3.0, which I think is pretty much the same as a Geo, just with air integration added. I download all my dives from my Atom into an electronic log (I use Subsurface) on my computer. It's easy and works quickly and consistently. I don't understand why anyone would recommend against that.
I thought the download interface would be nice to have, but I just ended up not using it. (I haven't logged any recreational dives in a long time.) If someone does like to download their dives to a computer and has software they like, then I think the Geo 2 download interface would be fine. If anyone wants to buy one of these interfaces, I have one in like new condition that I only used once that I'd sell for $50. (They are about $100 new.)

Last edited:
I thought the download interface would be nice to have, but I just ended up not using it. (I haven't logged any recreational dives in a long time.) If someone does like to download their dives to a computer and has software they like, then I think the Geo 2 download interface would be fine. If anyone wants to buy one of these interfaces, I have one in like new condition that I only used once that I'd sell for $50. (They are about $100 new.)
Thanks for the replies everyone, though it seems like ya'll are getting in a cat fight about who's know the most. Chill out. I simply asked for a recommendation on a computer between the Mares and the Oceanic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom