Scuba Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which Scuba Fin is best for cold water?

You will need open healed fins for cold water because in cold water it is necessary to wear boots or a drysuit. Fins that fit over bare feet are only suitable for tropical waters.

In terms of types of fins there are basically two choices. (a) paddle fins that have a single wide blade and (b) split fins that have two narrow blades.

Since you asked this question on an internet forum you'll probably get people recommending what they own and recommending against what they don't own. The truth is, both types work. That said, for advanced finning techniques in which the diver swims backwards (yes, this is possible), split fins would not be my first choice.

In terms of giving you a base line I personally think (even though I do not own a pair) that the "Mares Avanti Quattro" are a good baseline for comparison.

If you are wearing a drysuit then heavy rubber fins like the Scubapro Jet fin (or something like it) may be useful because they have negative buoyancy and will help keep your feet down without the need for ankle weights or something to that effect. Many technical divers use these types of fins as well, in part because they are quite suitable for swimming backwards.

I wish I could recommend a good split fin for a baseline but I don't have any experience with them so someone else will have to help you on that.

Now my question to you. Why do you want to know this?

R..

The best ones are the ones that work for you. I personally dont like split fin becaise they are too soft for me. Ask around locally to see if you can try out a few brands before tou buy, it sucks to spend $ on equipment you end up hating. Best of luck.

A lot of LDS will let you try some different options to see which ones work best for you. Most LDS may have only have 1 brand in their rental gear however some have multiple manufacturers. I’ve owned many different fins and Slipstreams work best for me but I use Cressi for OW diving. I’ve used split fins and definitely not a fan!

As 'Diver0001' said. Scubapro JetFin or Hollis F1 are good for dry suit diving being 5-6 lbs. negative. I often see those used in Lake Michigan. I have observed ice divers using Force Fins. They seemed well suited for that purpose.

These are the fins I have. I got the older model on closeout for about $70. I like them. Are they the best? IDK. I don’t care, they work for my Caribbean scuba purposes.
Tusa X-Pert Zoom Z3 Open Heel Split Fins

As an alternative, these look very close to mine and a nice price. I like Mares equipment.
Mares Raptor Open Heel Fins

Personally, I would not pay over $100 for a pair of fins… That coming from a guy that dove with a pair of Dacor Alphas similar to these for 25 years…

DACOR-Alpha-Fins-Pink-Medium-Scuba-Diving.jpg

Apeks RK3

I wouldn't recommend the Apeks RK3 HD never mind the Apeks RK3 for Drysuit use as they are only neutrally buoyant/ very slightly negatively buoyant.

It really depends of your diving stile and the weight balance of your equipment.
I use the RK3 with a drysuit (trilaminate) and the fins buoyancy is perfect to keep the feet up at the correct angle without efforts.
They are also very light and enough stiff, perfect if you travel a lot and you need to save weight where possible.

Also consider the size of the foot pocket for your particular gear.

I have three sets of fins (all open heel):
1. Scubapro Jet: largest fin pocket of my fins, and my fin of choice for my drysuit due to both its foot pocket size and buoyancy characteristics

2. US Divers Blades: Fairly large foot pocket, but a bit snug with the rock boots for by drysuit. They work in a pinch, but I prefer the Jets. They were great fins when I was diving cold water in a 7mm wetsuit and wetsuit boots.

3. Scubapro Jet Sport: smallest pocket of my three sets of fins. Would never work well with my drysuit. It does work well with my wetsuit boots, but I prefer the propulsion characteristics of my other fins. I use these fins mostly for warm travel destinations as they weigh less and are easier to pack.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom