Shearwater Perdix AI wish list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@stuartv

1) I think that the complexity of implementing that outweighs the benefit of that. Especially problematic in sidemount.

3) I still think a split cell as "Default" if both sensors are paired

6) yeah, it's definitely a lot more complicated than it may seem and information that I don't think is really beneficial during the dive. I think in the desktop software it would be nice to be able to assign a specific tank to each transmitter in the logging process where it will spit back your SAC rate in CFM, but don't really see a benefit in cluttering the menu structure as well as increasing the risk of someone suing them for putting the wrong tank in which is BS, but wouldn't shock me

7) no, it wasn't a type-o, however if you code in 30' last stop, and you have gases that exceed your ppO2 limits, the computer has to spit a warning back out to you saying "hey dumb-a$$, you turned on 99/00 but you have a last stop of 30' so you can't use it". What does the computer do in that instance?

What profiles are you doing where the difference in TTS is large enough to be a problem?

1) "Problematic in SM" == that's why it's just an option - that you don't have to use. Use one of the existing options instead.

3) I don't care what the default is, as long as the option I want is there for me to choose and use.

6) the only thing tank size would be used for is calculating RMV. Something the use may choose to have displayed during the dive or may only look at in the onboard dive log. It would not affect SAC or GTR calculations, so I don't see how it could turn into a lawsuit.

7) I would say that if Last Stop is set to 30' and they have a gas Enabled that would exceed the ppO2 Limit setting, then it should ignore that gas in calculating TTS. That would be more conservative than assuming use of all Enabled gases and that is why I would code it to work that way versus assuming use of all Enabled gases.

I'm haven't done any profiles where the difference would really matter. But, I am detail oriented. I think that's a Pro in a tech diver. I want my computer settings to match my actual plan, even if the difference seems small. The change only affects the TTS that is displayed, so I don't see the big deal in supporting a setting that will match what a lot of people actually plan on and do.

I have a list of Perdix AI "updates" that I wish Shearwater would implement. This weekend, my list grew by one item. I decided to post my whole wish list here and see how many people want the same things. Maybe if enough people voice support, Shearwater will implement at least some of these things....
All reasonable requests to allow users to confirgure how they see fit - Thx.

@stuartv my point was more that at what point do user changeable settings get to where it is sacrificing part of the simplicity of the GUI which is a huge selling point of the @Shearwater in the first place. While I do understand wanting to be as precise as we possibly can, there does come a point where you get to a point that you realize we are still measuring with a micrometer, marking with chalk, but cutting with a dull axe. Some of the points I 100% agree with, but I think some of them will sacrifice the overall usability of the device just to have everything exactly perfect for one scenario. Unfortunately there is a point where similar to off-the-rack sizing, it has to be made for everyone, but no one in particular. There are a lot of things that I would change if I could for my specific unit, but I do understand that there does come a point where the sacrifices that would have to be made to get those options aren't worth it.

Now I will say that maybe some of those are options that are only settable in the Cloud app either from a desktop in the case of the older units, or desktop/device for the newer ones. Keep the same relatively simple menu structure on the device where you can get it "good enough", and if you want to get really picky with it, be able to set them from the computer/phone. It's something that some other manufacturers have done and I am OK with that, but I don't know if Shearwater would be

As a dealer, I communicated with Lynn Partridge and an engineer called Tim Inglis about item 6. In particular about using cf / min rather than psi / min. They were both very willing to listen. But it remains to be seen if this is incorporated. It sounded like if enough people requested it from Shearwater that it might be given serious thought.

I would expect most tech divers to know what volume tanks they are using and be willing to input the tank volumes and working pressures. The Mares Icon that I used to use had that capability and expressed consumption in cf/min. PADI, as least teaches cf/min not psi/min. Not sure about the other agencies.

Last edited:
For Tech Open Circuit training & novice tech divers, some practical GTR functionality & info examples for an initial user entered Minimim Gas Reserve/Rock Bottom pressure value:
  • Based on this Minimum Gas Reserve, for overhead cave/wreck diving, the GTR utility would also calculate & display a time remaining or countdown to Modified Third's (or Sixth's or "1/n") Turn Pressure. (Additional stage bottle Modified Third's support -i.e. Half plus 15 bar AL80 Stage cylinder(s)- would be useful, but requires more transmitters to monitor each stage cylinder used, or in lieu of additional transmitters, a user entered value for the number of stages used and each of their volume "tank factor" capacities.)
  • A calculation & prompted display of time remaining or countdown to perform an emergency Lost Buddy Search based on one-half the above Modified Turn Pressure calculation.
  • A tank switch reminder/indicator based on user entered delta pressure value for doubles sidemount diving.
IMO, these are useful & vital GTR features to have for open circuit Tech/Overhead Diving, and easy algorithms to develop and implement for the next generation wireless AI product model. The only difficulty would be how to display this info on one screen without too much button pushing menu navigation. Perhaps a heads up display like the Shearwater NERD for critical dive computer deco info and remaining bottom gas pressure monitoring, and an optional wrist mounted screen for all the other ancillary data as needed --but along with additional transmitters, this would quickly become a very complex and expensive solution.

Hello, I'm resurrecting this thread because I was searching on the perdix. StuartV, some of your older posts when I was shopping helped convince me it was the computer I wanted, and I'm mostly very satisfied. I'm a novice diver, but I wanted a computer I could grow with.

Anyway, my big complaint is the compass. Not that the compass is bad, but when I have the big compass up, I can't see my PSI, which as a noob I don't like. I would like an (optional) itsybitsy PSI reading under the big compass.

The mini-compass means I can't have my PPO2, which as a noob, I don't like. I'd also like to have my MOD up whenever I'm on nitrox.... because I'm a noob. I don't understand the CNS reading yet, but I think I'm going to want to see it frequently.

When I display PPO2 and CNS in rec mode, I can tell there is room for another line, which really ought to be MOD. Or we could put PPO2 and maybe CNS under the gas selected and MOD (optionally) under the current depth. Then I could run AI mini and a mini compass. (I'm a noob so my navigation is terrible.

I look at tech mode, and the ONLY thing you can put in the middle is PPO2, which seems weird as PPO2 AND CNS are available as a single option in Rec mode.

Not that I don't love my Perdix, because I really, really do, but I'm actually hunting to find out if I can just get an analog compass and put it on my wrist next to the predix, except I'm pretty sure they would interfere with each other. I'm also in the market for some underwater tape I can write on, so I can put my mod on a cheatsheet and slap it on the top of the perdix. (Is there any underwater masking tape I can scribble it on?)

And, I'm just happy when the button doesn't stop working and it turns on. :)

This is a great thread. Glad it came back to life. I'd like the stopwatch display to be all large numbers like in the Petrel 2. The seconds on the Perdix are a little small for those of us about to hit age 50.

Hello, I'm resurrecting this thread because I was searching on the perdix. StuartV, some of your older posts when I was shopping helped convince me it was the computer I wanted, and I'm mostly very satisfied. I'm a novice diver, but I wanted a computer I could grow with.

Anyway, my big complaint is the compass. Not that the compass is bad, but when I have the big compass up, I can't see my PSI, which as a noob I don't like. I would like an (optional) itsybitsy PSI reading under the big compass.

The mini-compass means I can't have my PPO2, which as a noob, I don't like. I'd also like to have my MOD up whenever I'm on nitrox.... because I'm a noob. I don't understand the CNS reading yet, but I think I'm going to want to see it frequently.

When I display PPO2 and CNS in rec mode, I can tell there is room for another line, which really ought to be MOD. Or we could put PPO2 and maybe CNS under the gas selected and MOD (optionally) under the current depth. Then I could run AI mini and a mini compass. (I'm a noob so my navigation is terrible.

I look at tech mode, and the ONLY thing you can put in the middle is PPO2, which seems weird as PPO2 AND CNS are available as a single option in Rec mode.

Not that I don't love my Perdix, because I really, really do, but I'm actually hunting to find out if I can just get an analog compass and put it on my wrist next to the predix, except I'm pretty sure they would interfere with each other. I'm also in the market for some underwater tape I can write on, so I can put my mod on a cheatsheet and slap it on the top of the perdix. (Is there any underwater masking tape I can scribble it on?)

I use a Petrel 2, essentially the same as the non-AI Perdix, and I have never detected an issue with using an wrist compass in addition to the computer. I also like the mini compass on the bottom to.

FWIW, the MOD is a single number that does not change throughout the dive (when using a single tank). I am not sure why you think this is so important to have on your screen.

Last edited:
Mainly because I'm a noob and I want a reminder. Which is why I'm thinking writing it on a piece of masking tape (if I can find underwater masking tape) would be just as good.

@GreyVR not to be combative, but here are my opinions on some of your complaints mainly on why you may or may not need to actually have that information displayed on the computer

First one is that there should be a handwritten note on your slate somewhere with three things on it. These three things do not change on the dive, and need to be memorized. These are your three limits of depth, air, and time. They will come up in the next paragraphs.

Compass with PSI display. I do think that leaving the center line untouched like is done on the NERD would be nice. On the NERD it's obviously much more critical because the center line is the ppO2 readings of the cells, but on OC it would be nice. Even if it is a split cell with both pressures which is something that we've asked about since it came out. Under the compass isn't the right spot, it should stay in the left or right cell of the center line imo.
Now, in my experience, I don't think you need to have the big compass out unless you are actively navigating somewhere over a long ish distance and need that degree of accuracy, in which case I am using a nav board, but to each his own.

ppO2 and MOD. These are not numbers that you should have to see on the main screen of your computer, especially as a recreational diver. These two numbers are showing the same thing for your context, so you need to see either one or the other, not both. Your chosen ppO2 limit chooses what your MOD is, so seeing both isn't relevant. MOD is not something that the Tec mode actually allows you to choose to display. You can't remove ppO2 from the center section, so you can set your ppO2 limit to 1.4 and then it starts flashing at you because you hit the MOD of the gas that you are diving. So the MOD itself is written on your slate somewhere, and the computer is going to let you know when you get close to your MOD because you hit the ppO2 limit that you are comfortable with, so why display both?

The CNS reading isn't something you have to worry about until you get to O2 deco, and even then it's not something that anyone I know displays on their computer. Oxygen is toxic, your body can't handle elevated ppO2's for very long and the higher the ppO2, the less time it can handle it before you have a seizure. These limits are not something you'll reach with nitrox diving without going into decompression so as long as you are diving within NDL's, you don't have to worry about CNS. The computer will still warn you about CNS when/if you hit their limits whether it is on the screen or not. As one who finds that warning, it is quite obnoxious.
Good reading here
Shearwater and the CNS Oxygen Clock - Shearwater Research

Now, slate questions. What are you using, if anything for a slate?
I use two slates on most every dive. I always use a wrist slate like the one below. They're cheap, they are right there for you to look at, you can write things like all of your dive limits on them so they are right there. Again, you are writing Depth, Air, and Time limits. You start with the air limit which is your rock bottom calculated pressure limit. Depth is next which is either the MOD of your mix, the hard bottom, or whatever your planned max depth is *i.e. the top deck of a shipwreck or planned depth on a wall*. Time is then determined by your NDL at that depth.
Also convenient for writing any random notes about the dive because it's always right there.
DGX Underwater Wrist Slate, Multi-Page (Black)
If you don't have a lot of forearm real estate, or are a lefty where both your computer and slate end up on your right arm, then you can mount the perdix onto the top sheet of the slate. This is something that was popularized by Edd Sorenson

When I'm doing a lot of navigation, like in a quarry or something, I use one of these. Draw the map above the compass, on the side you can draw your waypoints as well as your limits. Back side of slate can be any notes you need to write. I take this pretty regularly and clip it off to my butt d-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom