First dive is next week, do i have to give up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had sinus problems my whole life, and when I first started diving, clearing my ears was so difficult that an instructor told me diving just might not be in the cards for me. Then I read a DAN article about using decongestants like Sudafed or Afrin, and they differentiated between diving with a cold (never do that) and using things like that to make it easier to equalize. I did use that for a while. I worked and worked and worked at equalizing. I did it on the plane on the way to a dive site. I did it while reading. I did it while snorkeling in the hours after arriving on a dive vacation. I did it on the boat on the way to the dive site. It got easier and easier and easier for me over time.

Today I take nothing, and I have no trouble equalizing, even though I still have the same sinus issues I have had all my life.

I have had sinus problems my whole life, and when I first started diving, clearing my ears was so difficult that an instructor told me diving just might not be in the cards for me. Then I read a DAN article about using decongestants like Sudafed or Afrin, and they differentiated between diving with a cold (never do that) and using things like that to make it easier to equalize. I did use that for a while. I worked and worked and worked at equalizing. I did it on the plane on the way to a dive site. I did it while reading. I did it while snorkeling in the hours after arriving on a dive vacation. I did it on the boat on the way to the dive site. It got easier and easier and easier for me over time.

Today I take nothing, and I have no trouble equalizing, even though I still have the same sinus issues I have had all my life.
Side note--I was severely allergic to everything in summer up to around age 35, then within a few short years nothing at all for like 25 years. Now some allergies (not just summer) seem to be creeping back. No real congestion for diving (yet?). Funny how that changes.

I will tell you I have been diving for years, my left ear is messed up from a dive accident in 2003, got for the first time Vertigo in 2012, had no idea what it was until it occurred!, So went to an ENT, he said as soon as I get on plane take a Bonine , that is only over the counter that works with inner ears, along with sudafed it solved all my issues

Don't worry too much about descending the pain will probably stop you. What you need to worry about and the reason you should see a doctor is the ascent. If you are able to descend and during the dive your sinuses become clogged you will not be able to surface due to the pain. It's known as reverse block and it happens.
The pressure inside your inner ear becomes higher than the ambient pressure as you ascend and doesn't equalize due to the blockage. The result will be a broken ear drum. Go to a ENT MD and get your condition fixed!

Short answer is you should take a break form your scuba training, but it is not a definite give up yet.
Your resources should be to consult an Ears-Nose-Throat/ENT doctor to diagnose your condition and see if there is any medication or if it is necessary.

A runny nose can mean congested sinuses. You can clear your ears manually, but your sinuses can only clear passively. You can't force your sinuses to clear like you can your ears.

The second that should be done in close tandem is consulting Diver's Alert Network / DAN's Medical Info Line. 1-919-684-2948.
Scuba Diving Medical Services — Decompression Illness — DAN | Divers Alert Network

Even if you're not a member or hold insurance with DAN, the knowledge is free. They will be able to coordinate with your doctor as well to give them insight on diving medicine if your doctor is not an expert in that field.

DAN is the pioneer in dive medicine and research. Most scuba agencies look to them to update their physiology guidelines and training materials. DAN had updated their diving under medication guidelines about 2 years ago, so some scuba books are still processing with the most recent update. Diving with medication for allergies, sinus, congestion is ok as long as you have a long history of consistent daily use. That way you can accurately anticipate how long you'll be effected by the medication to dive. Diving can also alter medicine's potency or duration due to the pressure changes of diving to depth. So having a baseline for yourself is important before conducting a dive on the medicine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom