Non DIR doubles rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking at a set of mini doubles (Faber LP50 and isolation manifold) for general rec diving, no overhead or deco. Redundancy without a pony and a little more gas than an AL80 are the main attractions, also the mini doubles have a low profile close to the back for good balance and comfort. Is this a practical way to achieve what I need- probably not and I’m sure someone will suggest a big single with a Y or H valve, but maybe I just feel like a change and they look cool!
The question is:
Does anyone use a double tank rig with a short hose on the right side to the primary reg?
I tried using a long hose for a while years ago when I put a hogarthian single tank rig together and didn’t like it. These days I use a standard length primary but my secondary is on a 4ft hose under my right arm to a necklace- its a compromise and works fine for me. So I’m thinking that I would try a shorter 20” miflex hose on the right post to the primary and the same secondary set up that I currently use, with another first stage on the left post to a second stage clipped off on the left side.
Any reason why not?

I can only speak of the small doubles....I am using twin lp45's and they are by far my favourite rig. I am 5'-9" and they fit fine and trim nicely. Hp117s get left home a lot, but are handy for fills though.
Diving vintage btw

You can run whatever hoses you'd like, however I find that for ow a 5' main and standard short backup to a necklace meet all my needs.
Also, doesn't change for tech/cave diving, easier to share air...no downsides I've found.

@reefrat So, you're saying you would have 3 2nd stage regulators?

What are you trying to accomplish? Have a single-tank reg set that you can use on single tank and doubles without changing it at all? Will you really achieve that if you put a 20" hose on it?

If you aren’t diving overhead then hose lengths are much more flexible.
A 40” hose under the arm to a primary on an elbow ala Diverite video with a shorter secondary on a necklace gives you enough room for donating primary without the issues of a long hose.

I dive a 7’ hose but most of my students end up using an octo hose for primary and a regular hose for secondary.

As far as a clipped off second from the left post and 2 others from the right, there’s no reason that won’t work but for the sake of taking off one hose and plugging the LP port, I wouldn’t add another potential free flow into the mix.

Keep your single tank reg on the left post so you don’t need to mess with the SPG, then add a first and second on the right post.

I'd lobby against using the long hose on the left post as a secondary. It won't deploy properly. Leave it on the right side as a primary routed how you do it now, and use the 20" hose on your left post around your neck.

lp50's are fine for tiny doubles. Just don't see them often because they don't have a lot of gas. Most people will choose something like a set of HP100's that are only about 35lbs heavier when full but you can do two dives on one set of tanks to a pair of al80's.

These days I use a standard length primary but my secondary is on a 4ft hose under my right arm to a necklace- its a compromise and works fine for me.

Out of genuine curiosity, how would you donate to an OOA buddy if the longer hose and reg are on a necklace?

Out of genuine curiosity, how would you donate to an OOA buddy if the longer hose and reg are on a necklace?

I too just don't get it, but it seems folks these days think the necklace is intended to be a "pull out" type holder...

I am looking at a set of mini doubles (Faber LP50 and isolation manifold) for general rec diving, no overhead or deco. Redundancy without a pony and a little more gas than an AL80 are the main attractions, also the mini doubles have a low profile close to the back for good balance and comfort. Is this a practical way to achieve what I need- probably not and I’m sure someone will suggest a big single with a Y or H valve, but maybe I just feel like a change and they look cool!
The question is:
Does anyone use a double tank rig with a short hose on the right side to the primary reg?
I tried using a long hose for a while years ago when I put a hogarthian single tank rig together and didn’t like it. These days I use a standard length primary but my secondary is on a 4ft hose under my right arm to a necklace- its a compromise and works fine for me. So I’m thinking that I would try a shorter 20” miflex hose on the right post to the primary and the same secondary set up that I currently use, with another first stage on the left post to a second stage clipped off on the left side.
Any reason why not?

That configuration is fairly common where I live. No issues. Not being DIR in this day and age isn't the big taboo that it once was. The configuration needs to make sense and this configuration does make sense for the reasons you mentioned.

I'm not clear about your ideas with respect to hose routing. A typical long hose configuration will work and so will the short hose configuration. You don't need 3x 2nd stages. Two is enough and the third one only creates an other potential failure point without offering any gain in functionality.

Personally I would go with a typical long-hose configuration on these small tanks but if you want the primary on a short hose and the octopus on a longer hose then just put the octopus on the left post.

You must be mindful to use the 232bar tanks (the LP ones). The 7L 300 bar tanks are far too heavy and can lead to buoyancy issues. Most people that I've known who have bought the 300bar tanks have either sold them at some point or don't use them very much.

R..

Sort of. I use a set of double 45s valve-down with a protector.

upload_2018-2-25_7-41-5.png

See: Progressive Equalization, Post #10 for more images.

Back
Top Bottom