Theft or gear mix-up on liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only "loss" I've had on LOB's was a weight pocket I had left out and it was blown off overnight. I do mark everything so it's easy to identify - though not for fear of theft.

You have two sets of gear, one really good and one not so good for vacation diving because you don't trust airlines? And you dive with the crappier gear when you travel?

Two comments- 1) If the airline loses it, you file a claim and you get reimbursed and buy new gear and 2) keep all the important stuff with you in carryon, that's where all the money is anyway- computers, regulators, lights, photography gear. So what if a wetsuit or a couple of booties get misplaced? Yeah losing the BCD would blow but it's not irreplaceable.

No reimbursement if your bag shows up missing your halcyon bpw.

The only "loss" I've had on LOB's was a weight pocket I had left out and it was blown off overnight. I do mark everything so it's easy to identify - though not for fear of theft.

That’s what I was thinking too...if people leave everything on the dive deck overnight, and if the seas are rough, or the wind is strong, wouldn’t stuff fall overboard or get blown off? Wouldn’t cameras fall off the shelves? LOL. Sometimes I get a lot of newbie thoughts!

Wouldn’t cameras fall off the shelves?
Most camera tables and shelves have a wall around them to prevent this. I say that, but my GoPros go to the room with me after every dive.

No reimbursement if your bag shows up missing your halcyon bpw.

Really? It has always been my understanding that if something goes missing from your luggage you can file a claim with TSA, the airline, your homeowners insurance, or travel insurance (if you have it).

Dive Deck.jpg

Shot of the dive deck on the BA IV. Just to give you an example of a camera table setup and how gear is stored on the dive deck of one liveaboard, though all boats have a different setup.

That’s what I was thinking too...if people leave everything on the dive deck overnight, and if the seas are rough, or the wind is strong, wouldn’t stuff fall overboard or get blown off? Wouldn’t cameras fall off the shelves? LOL. Sometimes I get a lot of newbie thoughts!

The LOBs I have been on had boxes or milk crates assigned to the divers. Each diver puts his stuff in his assigned box, and the boxes remain stowed under the benches. If I recall correctly, on my most recent the crew laced a line through the boxes when the boat was in transit and/or at night. Also, keep in mind that the sidewalls (gunwales?--I dunno the nautical term) of the boat typically rise above the deck quite a bit, so it isn't like something could just slide horizontally off the deck.

Camera shelves are usually pretty well protected, as the Chairman pointed out, but most people do not leave cameras on the table overnight or in rough weather. Cameras could go inside to the main salon or to the owner's cabin. I don't pay much attention because I'm not a photographer--except my little GoPro--but from what I recall, the serious photographers cleaned their camera rigs and put them back in their Pelican boxes overnight.

During long crossings or in rough seas cameras are best placed where they can’t fall, get washed overboard, or have other items fall on them. Location varies by vessel.

I've not done a liveaboard but did have a fin disappear from a boat once. Basically, everyone's fins were blue and the DM threw them in a big pile after the last dive. One of mine wound up in Fiji (literally, so the crew surmised), and I wound up with two non matching blue fins. Then I marked all my stuff, either with permanent marker or scratching with a knife, whichever was appropriate.

The boat will not anchor over night in an unprotected site (it would rip the mooring out).

There are multiple choices of overnight spots. The captn will choose the most sheltered. Sea sick divers do not tip well.

Back
Top Bottom