What do you wear under your drysuit and undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
What do people wear as the first layer under drysuit and thermal undergarments? I would think the first layer should be quick dry or moisture wicking in case you sweat or the suit leaks or floods? One wouldn’t wear jeans and a tshirt or sweats, would they?

I usually wear Mizuno BreathThermo running tights and long sleeve top for cold water diving. For warm water dives, warm weather running gear, but in long sleeve versions and without the additional thermo layer.

French lingerie when it's sunny... Then Merino and my KWARK navy.. If its really cold a heated vest

What do people wear as the first layer under drysuit and thermal undergarments? I would think the first layer should be quick dry or moisture wicking in case you sweat or the suit leaks or floods? One wouldn’t wear jeans and a tshirt or sweats, would they?

I dive dry year-round. Underneath the drysuit, I wear Woolpower undergarments, both top and bottoms, along with thick wool socks. Woolpower is a Swedish company that makes excellent merino wool undergarments for diving and other activities. Their wool is very soft, comfortable, non-itchy, and breathable.

Generally everything I use is 400 gram top and bottom. Sometimes I'll put their 400 gram pullover on top of a 400 gram long sleeve shirt (everything being wool of-course) if the water is extra cold. That helps to keep the core warm. If the core is not warm, your hands will get cold among other problems.

Last edited:
T-shirt and boxers under a Santi 200 when its 2 till 12 degrees. When it gets warmer loose the T-shirt, if it gets sweaty it Will get cold.

Anything that touches my skin wicks. I use the same wicking tops and bottoms I use for winter outdoor use. Then it's the dry suit undergarment or regular sweats if it's not too cold.
I buy my wicking garments from Walmart or Ocean State Job Lot.

Wicking layer is important. I wear Fourth Element J2, with our water temps that is almost enough on its own.
Then I got some polyester-spandex wicking layer from Seaskin, MUCH cheaper and wicks well. Then I discovered that its exactly the same fabric as my compression underwear for gym, which is a lot cheaper again.

As many have said.

Merino wool base layer, I have a variety from different manufacturers.
Then Fourth Element top, Heated vest, and the outer layers are a set of Fourth Element Arctics. I can loose a layer if its too hot.
I use Fourth Element 'hot socks' and then the Arctic Socks on top.

This does allow me to dive year round. Often the heated vest isn't even turned on, I've found it keeps me warm - i think it has a reflective layer.

Dry gloves make a big difference as well. I also have a 'neck warmer', (the type of thing snow boarders wear,) this has made a big difference in the winter. I have silicon wrist and neck seals on the suit, I thing the neck warmer (like 'buff' wear) makes a huge difference, keeping the cold away from the carotid artery.

Most under suits, loose thermal insulation if they are washed too frequently, especially with too much softener. I can wash the base layers as frequently as I like, and they are much cheaper to replace.

Gareth

Nylon/Polyester fitted T & underwear; just wool socks for the feet.
I haven't felt the need to use long johns yet.

I found the athletic gear absorbs the majority of the sweat, so you can prolong the undergarment wash. Think of it like a flat sheet for your duvet.

Last edited:
For milder temps, a wicking workout t-shirt and leggings worked fine for me. Plus was that I could wear them to/from the dive site and not have to change.

Back
Top Bottom