So... you guys have sold me on a bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No2rdame

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Though I'm a fairly new diver, I spend a ton of time researching things before buying them and I've decided to seriously consider a bp/w. I've rented some back inflate BCDs and tend to prefer Scubapro's products, but a realistic assessment made me realize the bp/w is a better setup. So, I have a few questions as I continue to research the bp/w.

1. Basic harness or upgrade? I'm looking at the HOG deluxe or DiveRite Transplate, largely for comfort reasons. I don't plan on doing a lot of walking, but my shoulders are pretty well shot and need surgery, but for a multitude of reasons it'll be years before I get that done. I figured the comfort factor may be worth it, especially since I may be diving in warmer waters so a very thin suit at most.
2. How does the tank align on the bpw? With most other BCDs I've used, there is a fabric loop that I attach to the tank. It holds the BCD in place and you simply tighten the straps around the tank. With a bpw, how will I know the best position for the tank? Hopefully that makes sense.
3. Adjusting the setup. How complex is this? I would assume it's just a matter of preference and can be done in my pool, but anything I should be aware of?
4. Anything else I should be aware of? What other "newbie" things am I lacking here?

For the record, I'm looking at one of the harnesses mentioned plus probably an OMS mono wing and Dive Gear Express SS backplate (along with other items such the tank straps, etc.). Any pros/cons to the aforementioned gear?

Is this for air travel vacations or only for local Flirida diving? I love my Freedom Contour Plate, with 32lb Hog wing because it does both Boston and Carribean, but it was heavy to take to St.Croix, so I am thinking of a separate setup for air travel.
I made my own harness by buying parts and webbing, and a GUE advisor stripped half my Christmas tree off to streamline, which lightened it a bit.

1. Try a basic harness before resorting to something padded. It may look uncomfortable, but I think you will be surprised to find it is not.

2. The loops that retain the tank are commonly called "cam bands." On some plates, there are slots to thread cam bands through. On plates without such slots, a single-tank adapter (STA) that has slots may be bolted to the plate. The DGX plate seems fine, but have you considered Deep Sea Supply? Their design is super-convenient for single-tank diving and requires no STA. Here's one for sale (apparently without a wing) For Sale - DSS Medium SS Backplate

3. There are videos posted on how to set up and adjust a backplate harness. When I bought my first setup I recall thinking this would be a bit of a task, but for all the talk on SB of this task, it's really quite simple. It can be done on land. Takes minutes.

Believe it or not,between SB and YouTube I learned how to setup and use a BP&W. My local dive shops were all pushing jackets which I had no interest in after training in them. I then tried a back inflate BCD which I liked but I didn't want to lug around that either. After this I bought a Zeagle Express Tech which I still like and use. However I really like my SS backplate and wing for many reasons. Between disassembling the plate from the wing to transport in my carry on and not having to carry so much ditchable weight while in the water,it's a homerun. Also the ability to change all components myself was a huge factor.

DGX offers a package for $299. That seems like a good deal. Vintage Double Hose has a package for $300. That looks even better, but only offer the 18# wing at this time, which may be too light for you. A package with a 35# wing is on back order which may give you a little more flexibility. I use a 23# wing on an aluminum plate for warm water and I could probably get away with a 18# wing butI don't mind having the extra lift. I use the standard harness and find it comfortable and easy to get in and out of. These packages are nice because if you want to upgrade a component as you become experienced you won't lose a lot of money and can easily sell the left over plate or wing.

There is a lot of info here on Scuba Board if you do a search. Good luck.

Though I'm a fairly new diver, I spend a ton of time researching things before buying them and I've decided to seriously consider a bp/w. I've rented some back inflate BCDs and tend to prefer Scubapro's products, but a realistic assessment made me realize the bp/w is a better setup. So, I have a few questions as I continue to research the bp/w.

1. Basic harness or upgrade? I'm looking at the HOG deluxe or DiveRite Transplate, largely for comfort reasons. I don't plan on doing a lot of walking, but my shoulders are pretty well shot and need surgery, but for a multitude of reasons it'll be years before I get that done. I figured the comfort factor may be worth it, especially since I may be diving in warmer waters so a very thin suit at most.
2. How does the tank align on the bpw? With most other BCDs I've used, there is a fabric loop that I attach to the tank. It holds the BCD in place and you simply tighten the straps around the tank. With a bpw, how will I know the best position for the tank? Hopefully that makes sense.
3. Adjusting the setup. How complex is this? I would assume it's just a matter of preference and can be done in my pool, but anything I should be aware of?
4. Anything else I should be aware of? What other "newbie" things am I lacking here?

For the record, I'm looking at one of the harnesses mentioned plus probably an OMS mono wing and Dive Gear Express SS backplate (along with other items such the tank straps, etc.). Any pros/cons to the aforementioned gear?

1. Basic harness unless you have a need for something more complicated. The shoulder pads actually make very little difference, IMHO. Maybe if I had to walk a distance in a twinset, but otherwise it just isn't that big a deal. I have one harness that came with them and I took the off and greatly prefer it that way.

The most common reason to prefer/need something other than a basic harness is if you are bigger or have shoulder/mobility issues. The deluxe style harnesses can make it easier to doff and don and in the case of the Transplate, also anchor on the waist belt rather than on the plate itself, and create a bigger opening to put your arms through.

2. You'll need cam bands to secure the cylinder. bp/w systems (like DSS) let you thread the cam bands through the wing and the plate and have little rubber "stabilizers" on the wing to help keep the cylinder from moving. You can also use a "single tank adapter" which will work with any combination of wing and plate. If you plan on trying to use cam bands with only the plate and wing, then they need to have cam slots that line up. Not all do.

3. Adjusting is just a series of tweaks. It can take a while, but stick with it.

4. You won't have integrated weights, so consider a weight belt and/or trim weight pouches for the cam band. You won't have pockets, so plan on gluing one to your wetsuit, buying scuba shorts with them, or adding a pocket to your waist belt if you want pockets. Get used to the notion that your accessories should be clippable to D-rings, since that's part of the bp/w way of doing things. So, get some small bolt snaps and learn how to tie them onto the accessories.

after seeing one of those xdeep wings recently, i am not convinced they are that great. much wider than necessary and relatively thin and flat, such that it flaps and tacos around a lot compared to a halcyon/apeks/oxycheq 30. reminds me of my older apeks wing.

In this case I don't really have an opinion about specific products so I'll leave it to other people to inform you about that.

Do be aware, however, that on the internet (as in real life) people will generally praise things that they own and/or have used and bad-talk things that they do not own/use. I guess that's human nature but it makes it exceedingly difficult to get objective advice about gear because most negative advice comes from people who have never even used the product!

That said I want to address your question #2 because I can do that objectively.

The answer is twofold.

1) IF the wing and backplate are exactly designed to fit together then you can thread the cam-bands (tank bands) through the wing and backplate together, which will hold the tank firm. Wings that are designed for this will have stabilizing rods built into them to stop the tank from wobbling. Mares and Apeks have such wings/back-plates. I'm sure other manufacturers do too. Here is a picture for reference (there is a backplate on the other side of the wing you see here and the cam-band is thread through both). For full disclosure, this is the system I use for a single tank.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-PIFqhjtuobJCU9M_V8TM5I4YrvS1ybKSOBBdePfHD-TJ5iFz.jpg

2) if the wing is NOT exactly aligned to the back plate and/or designed to be used like that then you need to use something called a "single tank adapter" (STA). The cam-bands go through the STA and the STA bolts on to the back plate in much the same way that you would bolt a double set to the plate. The following picture shows you how that looks.

DiveGear009_zps66cf7430.jpg

I've dived with both systems and don't really have a preference for one or the other. What I *have* noticed is that using an STA gives you a bit more flexibility because the slits in the wing don't need to line up with the slits in the back-plate and you can mix and match more easily. Some people say that the STA makes the system less stable because it holds the tank a couple of centimetres further from your back but that's probably coming from people who have never used it. When you dive them there is no discernible difference in stability.

R..

Welcome to the dark side.
the force is strong with this one.
That being said I have nothing more to add then I love my comfort harness when doing shore dives yes I don't feel my 130lbs underwater but it's when I'm going from shore to truck that I like the comfort harness

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom