So... you guys have sold me on a bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently got the dive gear express package. I like it so far (only 2 dives) and it’s much better than any of the jackets I have used.

1) I thought the basic harness would be a bit tough to deal with (stiff and hard on the shoulders) I was wrong. It felt the same as the jackets I use to rent.

2) tanks are secured by cam bands through slots on the backplate or in an STA. My DGX plate had slots for the cam bands and I used them so far but I have bought an STA to try and see if it works better I’ve noticed a slight wobble but have been told it could be the bands aren’t tight enough also.

3) adjusting isn’t difficult but will take time. I’ve adjusted it both times I’ve been in the water. I always adjusted it a few times on land trying to get d rings in the place I wanted them.

4) some packages don’t come with accessory gear to secure items such lights, octos, and spg’s. My DGX setup didn’t and I forgot and I did my first dive with the setup using fishing line for my inflate and one snorkel keeper for my octo. I have since got some shock cord to secure my gear.

I wanted to add that I am very minimalistic in my normal life and I needed 20lbs with a 3mm suit and al80 so a SS backplate was a no brainer for me.

Last edited:
I believe, in regards to tank positioning, th OP was referring to the the handle type loops on many jacket BCs. I have seen that used as a positioning aid (looped over the tank neck to limit how far up the tank sits in the harness). My old back inflate I'm using has that, but instead I refer to the position of the cam band on the tank (i.e. x inches from the shoulder of the tank) and qould assume you do the same with BPW.

it sounds like you (the OP) have always used the nylon band to set the hieght of the tank. A good starting point is to set the top of the tank (not valve) even with the top of the backplate. Try it on in the pool then adjust from there. you want it far enough down that you can tilt your head back without bashing into the first stage but high enough that you can reach and operate the valve while wearing the rig. once you find a sweet spot make a mental note of how high the top of the tank sits in comparison to the top of the backplate.

1. Basic harness or upgrade? I'm looking at the HOG deluxe or DiveRite Transplate, largely for comfort reasons. I don't plan on doing a lot of walking, but my shoulders are pretty well shot and need surgery, but for a multitude of reasons it'll be years before I get that done. I figured the comfort factor may be worth it, especially since I may be diving in warmer waters so a very thin suit at most.

If you have shoulder mobility issues, one of these: Sub Gravity Back-Plate Harness Slider Delrin (steel version available too) works with "standard" plates and lets you quickly adjust the loop. (You only really need one.) As for carrying, the "deluxe" pads don't look all that deluxe to me, not like a hiking backpack pads. Gotta wonder how much extra comfort they really provide.

2. How does the tank align on the bpw? With most other BCDs I've used, there is a fabric loop that I attach to the tank. It holds the BCD in place and you simply tighten the straps around the tank. With a bpw, how will I know the best position for the tank? Hopefully that makes sense.

By eye: if you're diving the same kit you'll know after a few dives.

4. Anything else I should be aware of? What other "newbie" things am I lacking here?

Wing size: you can buy a package for $300, if you only dive Al80s in warm water, the VDH #18 is probably a better option than the $299 DGX set. However if you dive in 7mm+ suits and dive deep, and/or use larger steel tanks, you may want a wing that's larger than either of those -- VDH #35 or DGX $399 package.

Man, and this is why I love this board. You guys gave me a ton of great information to digest. I've done a lot of surfing on here to get info on bp/w setups but the specific information provided here is great. Yes, for item #2 I was referring to the nylon loops that help with the height of the cylinder on the bcd and though it sounds like I won't have that minor convenience with the bpw setup, the suggestions on how to get the right height for me are invaluable and exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the input on the harnesses, too. It sounds like the deluxe harnesses won't necessarily help with my shoulders, but the Sub gravity harness slider might do the trick as I do have a restricted range of motion.

Looks like I have even more research to do, but that's quite alright with me. I will definitely look at the companies and packages mentioned.

Yes, for item #2 I was referring to the nylon loops that help with the height of the cylinder on the bcd and though it sounds like I won't have that minor convenience with the bpw setup, the suggestions on how to get the right height for me are invaluable and exactly what I'm looking for.
The great thing about a BP/W is that you get to do what you want with it. After you get your tank set exactly where you want it the first time, you can loop a piece of nylon strap around the tank valve and your plate so you know where to put it in the future. It's not DIR/GUE/Hogarthian approved, but does that really matter?

After you get your tank set exactly where you want it the first time, you can loop a piece of nylon strap around the tank valve and your plate so you know where to put it in the future. It's not DIR/GUE/Hogarthian approved, but does that really matter?

The loop may or may not be cutting into the wing. On jacket BCs the loop is on the "tank side" of the air cell, on a BP&W you typically only have the backplate to tie it to.

It's a non-issue anyway, the issue is renting a different BCD every time. If you have your own, jacket or not, you'll learn where to position the camband in relation to tank's shoulder soon enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom