Any equipment buying regrets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why? Which specific guage is not useful to you?

What?
The bulky gauges aren’t as useful as they’re big, cumbersome, fail quicker due to corrosion, and are most commonly found dragging against coral destroying marine habitats and stirring up silt.

My Hollis SMS100. I fought with that thing 2 years trying to get my tank position and my body position correct. It wasn't worth the effort anymore. It works well for some but for me it was one of the best days in my diving career when I sold it and went to another BC that I absolutely love (Armadillo).

The bulky gauges aren’t as useful as they’re big, cumbersome, fail quicker due to corrosion, and are most commonly found dragging against coral destroying marine habitats and stirring up silt.

Which "bulky" gauges fail quicker due to corrosion, and what are you comparing them to?

Bought a young heng ( Chinese) air compressor to fill my scuba tanks kept blowing pressure gasket seals never could fill a tank. Should of spent the cash on dive shop refills.

None I really regret because at the time it was the right thing.

My first kit came after a 4 year break, and I'd known only rental gear, so brought what I was comfortable using

My BCD got traded after 10 dives for a Wing
My Console with depth gauge lasted less than 20 dives and replaces by SPG only
Clips and tat

I don't even regret a tank banger and rattle as their weighty enough to throw at someone :wink:

As my diving matured so did my gear

My Cressie computer got replaced with an Eon

A BPW got replaced with a Plateless BCD

A new BPW got added for cold water Drysuit diving

A new BCD got added for teaching

A SM rig got added because I wanted one

A Perdix got added because I wanted to see what the fuss was and to learn buhlmann

My most disliked bit of gear is my Drysuit. I dislike the faff and hate all teh weight needed. but I like the smugness of staying warm on the surface boat ride.

Personally if I'd have brought my end game gear straight away it would have been a waste and over kill for my divign at the - I had no intention whatso ever of teaching nor gong tech.

I would say the Suunto Zoop sold to me as part of my reg/spg/compass set when I got my OW cert. But..., it kept me from buying a different dive computer while I researched and researched. Then, the Perdix AI came out and I have not regretted that purchase one bit. Had I not bought the Zoop, I would have bought another AI computer and would not be as happy as I am with the Perdix. So..., no regrets. Well..., maybe the first POS dive knife, but it was too cheap to bitch about.
Suunto is a good backup but at the same time, doesn’t have gauge mode.

the main problem with the twist lights is that they require two hands operation while you could turn the button light on with only one hand.
That’s why twist on/off are normally used for backups

Back
Top Bottom