Aluminum vs Steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom R:
Bob, First of all it the crap comment was not a slam against this board just this type of arguement that always takes place on this board. I rarely post in the DIR forum as it always gets off or out of hand. I guess it better to be a little DIR then nothing, sort of drives JJ's point about DIR.

Tom ... these endless DIR arguments are not unique to this or any other board ... they're ubiquitous, and one of the things that makes DIR not look so good to the outside world.

Just seems to be a part of the DIR culture, I think ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The problem here is that the drills and the ideas that are being slammed and debated can be done by experienced divers and divers that practice it, DIR is attitude,team spirit and safe diving. Just because jimmy the dive god can make his equipment work doesn't mean it's right.

Tom R:
I at one time could swim up a pair of OMS 85's with out the wing, still doesn't make it right here Mass Diver, I doubt if you seen these people dive at the Tech 1 or Cave 1 level with that setup.

What can I say, I just think you are flat out wrong here. BTW, of course you won't see people with singles and wetsuit in GUE tek courses - so what, this isn't a tech forum. There's nothing non-DIR about diving wet with a signle PST 80 - I'm sorry, there just isn't.

I really don't see your point, the whole reason for the "rule" is because of the risk of not being able to swim up the rig - if you can swing it up and you aren't overweighted what the problem? Is it just a problem because you say so - give me one reason why?

And, nope I'm yet to pass a GUE class :( guess I'm not a very good diver - maybe you can help me on the right path by explaining this one to me.

NWGratefulDiver:
Just seems to be a part of the DIR culture, I think ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob

Someone asked for the party line on steel tanks and wetsuits.

I simply gave it based on both documentation I have come across and classroom experience with more than one GUE instructor. The arguers picked up the slack at that point as they always do which is why I stated that I was posting against my better judgement. I addressed the issue of exceptions to the rules to no avail.

I was proven right yet again. Endless arguements may be part of internet so called "DIR" (that's arguable) culture but as Tom says I think you will find this attitude missing in the vast majority of active GUE members, especially those at a higher level.

With that said I really am beginning to see the benefit of the standard, "Take a fundamentals course.", line. I think I will use it more often.

Since you have brought the subject up regarding this being an issue on all message boards I will adress it. No, we don't seem have this problem at all on our board.

I am not sure why but I would guess it is a combination of not taking an us vs them attitude about DIR through a combination of NOT giving it it's own unique forum, the requirement that you not hide your skill and name, and the fact that we have a GUE instructor who luckily likes the board enough to make regular apprearances and help out members with questions. I guess it is a little easier and less controversial to take advice from someone who teaches a fundamentals course vs a person who has yet to pass one.

What do you think?

d33ps1x:
Bob

Someone asked for the party line on steel tanks and wetsuits.

I simply gave it based on both documentation I have come across and classroom experience with more than one GUE instructor. The arguers picked up the slack at that point as they always do which is why I stated that I was posting against my better judgement. I addressed the issue of exceptions to the rules to no avail.

I was proven right yet again. Endless arguements may be part of internet so called "DIR" (that's arguable) culture but as Tom says I think you will find this attitude missing in the vast majority of active GUE members, especially those at a higher level.

With that said I really am beginning to see the benefit of the standard, "Take a fundamentals course.", line. I think I will use it more often.

Since you have brought the subject up regarding this being an issue on all message boards I will adress it. No, we don't seem have this problem at all on our board.

I am not sure why but I would guess it is a combination of not taking an us vs them attitude about DIR by giving it it's own unique forum, the requirement that you not hide your skill and name, and the fact that we have a GUE instructor who luckily likes the board enough to make regular apprearances and help out members with questions. I guess it is a little easier and less controversial to take advice from someone who teaches a fundamentals course vs a person who has yet to pass one.

What do you think?

Dude, if it's such a personal hardship for you post here and have the febble arguments of everyone who is so far below you - then just don't.

The problem here is that you are off base - you can cheap shots all day long, it doesn't cover up the fact that you can give a single rationale to back up your point.

It says a lot about what kind of a guy you are that would put down someone for not passing fundies. I take it you passed on your first try right?

BTW, I don't hide my name or who I am - and I took fundies Kane who frequents this board. And, yes there were people in his class diving wet with steel singles.

MASS-Diver:
Dude, if it's such a personal hardship for you post here and have the febble arguments of everyone who is so far below you - then just don't.

The problem here is that you are off base - you can cheap shots all day long, it doesn't cover up the fact that you can give a single rationale to back up your point.

It says a lot about what kind of a guy you are that would put down someone for not passing fundies. I take it you passed on your first try right?

BTW, I don't hide my name or who I am - and I took fundies Kane who frequents this board. And, yes there were people in his class diving wet with steel singles.

You aren't anywhere near far below me in my opinion. It's your attitude of trying to make strangers on the internet believe you are so far ABOVE that irks me.

You go looking for it. Regardless. I've covered off nicely what my take it on the wet/steel issue. My rationale is a page or so back and reasonably well said I think.

Yes. I did pass fundies on the first try but that really isn't the issue here. The only failure is a quiter.

I really don't care who you took your fundies with. It has no bearing on the issues at hand but thanks for the information. Not sure what to do with it.

Anyways. Off to pack my bags for Mexico. Have fun with it.

MASS-Diver:

I think that you are out of line here. d33ps1x was speaking as to why his board seems to be the exception to the rule about DIR internet discussions being onerous. Maybe everyone should take a break and read a different thread.

I think HeadHunter's original question has been answered and we are sinking to "My DIR is more DIR than your DIR."

Well boys - thanks for the cheap shots, bottom line for all your attempts to put down anyone that dares disagree with I still even after re-reading the whole thread can't figure why as long as one can 1.) Swim up the tank 2.) not be overweighted, dive any comb they want.

BTW, the onlye reason I mentioned Kane was because you alluded to the fact that some GUE instructor posted here (on SB), Brando does also.

Again re-read my posts - I think I bring up a good point (that you dive a steel HP 80 with a wetsuit and be DIR) - you say no. Fine whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom