Aluminum vs Steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right, MASS-Diver.

You got it.

There are good rules of thumb, but extrapolating them to perfectly rigid rules is not a good idea, IMO.

It is foolish arguements that make this board crap, the idea is wet suits and any steel tank larger than a 72 is just foolish. You can make all the assumptions you wish and try to justify it for your own minds. But the rule is wetsuits and steel tanks don't mix.
The idea is safety here not what you can get away with. hmmm 3mm and steel 104 at 150 feet on air, well you know what's next.

Remember DIR is more attitude than equipment.

Tom R:
It is foolish arguements that make this board crap

Why blame this board? This "foolish argument" is being conducted by three of the most active members of your own board ... two of whom are your board administrators.

Are you saying that they "crap" here so they don't have to do it in their own yard? Or, given the participants, can I infer that the whole argument is being staged as a promotional stunt?

The comment is really uncalled for ... and unworthy of its author.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
... two of whom are your board administrators.
Actually only one is an admin.

NWGratefulDiver:
Are you saying that they "crap" here so they don't have to do it in their own yard? Or, given the participants, can I infer that the whole argument is being staged as a promotional stunt?
Not at all. I walked in the poop pile. Tried to clean my foot off and walk away after coming to my senses. Had poop thrown at me anyways and decided to stick around since I already smelled bad. :D

You've watched it develop all day and the promotional stunt bit is also unworthy of it's author in my opinion.

So can we all decide to please reset and leave it at that? We've managed to have a somewhat heated yet reasonably civil discussion regardless of what board it is on.

I'm running out of time to devote to this thread today seeing as I am going to be in Mexico cave diving shortly and giving you folks a welcome rest from my ugly mug and salty words. :crafty:

jonnythan:
Al80s wet are/can be fine. As long as you can swim them up. That's the bottom line and applies to any tank, steel or Al.

BTW, Kierkegaard is a pretty rockin' dude.

I'm with jonnythan on this. And I've only got about 50 dives in.........
When I travel where I have to dive AL80's my 9# SS plate and 3# on my belt gives me a nice trim and the ability to dive with little or no air in my wing to 100 fsw + depths.
I went to NC wreck diving over the summer and switched to my HP100's. I had to "drop" to an AL BP and go up to 4# on the belt as I was overweighted several pounds with the steel tank and SS backplate. After I compensated with the AL BP the diving was the same. Using no air in the wing and using lung volume to control buoyancy throughout the water column. I was in a 3mm in both configurations.
So basically both rigs as I see it were balanced almost exactly the same.
For my particular applications the AL versus Steel tank issue was moot.
Both rigs were balanced whether or not the "steel" was in the tank or the BP.

D33s1x:
Not at all. I walked in the poop pile. Tried to clean my foot off and walk away after coming to my senses. Had poop thrown at me anyways and decided to stick around since I already smelled bad.

You've watched it develop all day and the promotional stunt bit is also unworthy of it's author in my opinion.

So can we all decide to please reset and leave it at that? We've managed to have a somewhat heated yet reasonably civil discussion regardless of what board it is on.

Happily ... I have watched it develop all day ... and done my best to give you guys latitude to express your differences because, as you say, it was heated but reasonably civil.

I will not, however, tolerate gratuitous slams against this board ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Tom R:
It is foolish arguements that make this board crap, the idea is wet suits and any steel tank larger than a 72 is just foolish. You can make all the assumptions you wish and try to justify it for your own minds. But the rule is wetsuits and steel tanks don't mix.
The idea is safety here not what you can get away with. hmmm 3mm and steel 104 at 150 feet on air, well you know what's next.

Remember DIR is more attitude than equipment.

1st off, right now I'm diving double 80s dry (so I really don't fit into this one way or the other), but I really think you are off base. In the days when I used to dive wet, I would dive a PST 80 or 100, both of which I could easily swim up without my wing.

You say that the DIR ruel is no steel suits and wetsuits, but I've been in GUE classes where people dive wet with hp100s and it was not a problem. It's not a question of "being able to get away with something" either you can swim the rig up or you can't, either you are overweighted or you are not.

Bob, First of all it the crap comment was not a slam against this board just this type of arguement that always takes place on this board. I rarely post in the DIR forum as it always gets off or out of hand. I guess it better to be a little DIR then nothing, sort of drives JJ's point about DIR.

MASS-Diver:
1st off, right now I'm diving double 80s dry (so I really don't fit into this one way or the other), but I really think you are off base. In the days when I used to dive wet, I would dive a PST 80 or 100, both of which I could easily swim up without my wing.

You say that the DIR ruel is no steel suits and wetsuits, but I've been in GUE classes where people dive wet with hp100s and it was not a problem. It's not a question of "being able to get away with something" either you can swim the rig up or you can't, either you are overweighted or you are not.

I at one time could swim up a pair of OMS 85's with out the wing, still doesn't make it right here Mass Diver, I doubt if you seen these people dive at the Tech 1 or Cave 1 level with that setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom