What is your highest certification?

Your highest certification

• OW

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • AOW

Votes: 60 21.4%
  • Rescue

Votes: 67 23.8%
  • MSD (have card, not only meeting requirements)

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • DM

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • DM, MSD obtained after

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • DM, MSD obtained before

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • Instructor

Votes: 27 9.6%
  • Instructor, MSD obtained after

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Instructor, MSD obtained before

Votes: 21 7.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The title of this thread should be: Your highest PADI's recreational certification and that should eliminate a lot of unnecessary argument or misunderstanding.

Looking like a middle-aged boy scout
Not that there's anything wrong with that... :wink:

The various agencies differ in their 'certification" levels; for PADI it is OW, AOW, Rescue, MSD on the recreational path, and DM.AI, OWSI. MSDT. IDCS, MI, CD on the professional path.
And this is where - at least - PADI is pretty radically different from BSAC or CMAS.

CMAS 3* is both an advanced cert on the personal training path, and a dive leader/divemaster/assistant instructor cert. Same thing with BSAC 's DL, AD and FCD; they too combine learning dive leadership/instructorship and with advancing personal diving skills.

If I were to vote today, I'd check Rescue, because I have a PADI RD card. But I'm currently working on my CMAS 3*, and if I pass I'll be able to check DM (and I'd love to add a footnote, but that's of course not possible :wink: )

MSD is a PADI rating for people who did rescue and have 5 PADI specialties.

Most of agencies do not have an equivalent, so I suspect if you want to do it in the spirit of the poll, choose this option if you did 5 specialties before to become an instructor. (If your agency do not have something equivalent to the MSD rating)
Ah, then I voted right, haha. I am 4* master scuba diver also. From CMAS. There they have same.

And cmas 3* is divemaster, that is on my cmas cert. But in cmas it is not a 'pro' cert. From cmas 3* you can do ssi, padi, sdi, etc instructor courses. No need to have padi dm if you want to do padi idc. I checked this when I wanted to become instructor.

Ah, then I voted right, haha. I am 4* master scuba diver also. From CMAS. There they have same.

And cmas 3* is divemaster, that is on my cmas cert. But in cmas it is not a 'pro' cert. From cmas 3* you can do ssi, padi, sdi, etc instructor courses. No need to have padi dm if you want to do padi idc. I checked this when I wanted to become instructor.
Sorry to side track the thread here, but how do you become a CMAS 4 * in the Netherlands?
A specific course or honorable work?

Sorry to side track the thread here, but how do you become a CMAS 4 * in the Netherlands?
A specific course or honorable work?
No, just be member of NOB, do 6 NOB/cmas specialties, proof of 250 dives, be a 3* diver and pay 12,50 euro.

BSAC SD (roughly PADI DM, valid to 35m)
BSAC DL (roughly PADI DM, valid to 50m)

BSAC Sports Diver and PADI Rescue are equivalent

PADI DM and BSAC DL are equivalent.

The depth ratings you listed are only available post cert and AFTER completing the depth progression dives

According to CMAS' guidelines there is no coursework for 4*. Four Star Diver Training Programme
I know, but the different federations have different implementations of the standard.
I have seen course at some diving destinations and here in Denmark, you can't buy it. You need to do some diving releated on a regional level, so a lot of experience in one diving club or center will not be enough to get it.
So it is used as a kind of honorable certificate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom